Does your rug drying room have good lighting?

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
16-20 foot tall ceilings would be awesome, then make a rack that can go up to about 14-16 feet. This allows room to walk freely under the rugs even when hanging a 10x14 or larger. Have large windows along one wall up high would be cool and provide a lot of natural light. 30, 20 foot wide poles would be ideal for a mid size operation.

Reactions: Russ T.

Ron K

How many have an incoming rug inspection room with . . .

UV floodlights ?
Why?
I'd say 95% of Rugs have some UV shine anyway so just wash accordingly. DiChlor is safe and cost effective!
We have a $400 dollar one hanging in our room collecting dust it makes Company Disco parties and Teeth look great! Also Retro Nike's!

Reactions: rhyde and T Monahan

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I can't get the video to load, but I am interested in improving our dry room lighting. The energy saver fluorescents the power company froced on us just don't throw light far enough.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Fixtures need to be sustainable when subjected to 140 -160 degrees. That is what I am looking for. Efficient use of energy too while illuminating brightly for inspections when I drop rugs right there on the floor too.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
My new one will. Larry, what would be the look and design of your dream room?

It would have hi-power UV lights like a dentist uses, mounted on a movable track.

When necessary, you could push the light up or pull it down to examine the rug closer.
UV LED Mount.jpg

Last edited:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Fancy! More for show? Hand held likely will continue to be fine for me.

(Larry, please call me when you have a moment to talk - 734.260.5038

Brian H

Name
Brian H
You may want to make sure that your lights have a high CRI (Color Rendering Index). Our repair area has florescent lights that have a 90 value, while the general office lights have a 70 value. The higher the number, the closer to true daylight it actually is.

We have a spool of yarn that we use as a demonstration of the lighting. In our office area, the yarn is a plain brown. In the repair area, it is a khaki green. It had caused us issues in the past before we got the 90 value lights. The yarns used for repairs looked great in our shop but looked terrible when viewed at the customer's home.

We got a lot of assistance with this from our local lightening supplier. We also got some substantial government incentives when we switched all our lighting to the newer electronic ballasts using the T-8 bulbs.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You may want to make sure that your lights have a high CRI (Color Rendering Index). Our repair area has florescent lights that have a 90 value, while the general office lights have a 70 value. The higher the number, the closer to true daylight it actually is.

We have a spool of yarn that we use as a demonstration of the lighting. In our office area, the yarn is a plain brown. In the repair area, it is a khaki green. It had caused us issues in the past before we got the 90 value lights. The yarns used for repairs looked great in our shop but looked terrible when viewed at the customer's home.

We got a lot of assistance with this from our local lightening supplier. We also got some substantial government incentives when we switched all our lighting to the newer electronic ballasts using the T-8 bulbs.
My shop is quite small and I have overhead florescent lighting. To eliminate shadows, off to the side I have a bank of 4 500watt halogen lights. The kind you will see in autobody shops. The problem with these lights is they take a lot of power and they burn out quickly. I was at Home Depot and picked up a Led equivalent to my halogen lights. Takes a lot less power and gives a whiter light. I am going to replace my halogens with all leds.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Here's an example of lighting...

Same spool of yarn, same camera (actually my phone) and same settings on the phone. The first picture was taken in our repair room, the 2nd in our office. The funny thing is the camera changed the color too. In the repair area the first picture was brown. In the office it was closer to the 1st picture in color.

20161213_114626_resized.jpg
20161213_114705_resized.jpg

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
What would happen if you used the flash on a low setting? What should happen is the color should be more correct and the image should have better focus. Not sure what camera you are using though...so yes it's lighting. HDR setting to auto and your camera/phone and colors should also get better.

Last edited:

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I took the pictures without a flash. I wanted to show the effect that lighting has on perceived color and to add to the conversation about dry room lighting.
Sorry I thought you were showing the difference that a camera sees... the human eye/brain would not be fooled so badly. Old movie studios were essentially walls with removable ceilings for natural light. Lighting is all about LED's now. New lED Lighting mimics the sun.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We went to T8s as well Brian; under the local power company guidance. They retrofitted all 40 watt four bulb fixtures with 32 watt two bulb and said we'd get the same light output, the big liars. Doesn't matter in the office, definitely poorer light levels everywhere else.

We work in our dry room when it isn't hot, so I was thinking of getting some big LED panels that could be wall mounted and swung out over the floor to get brighter light, then swung back so the hanging rugs could clear during a wash. I'm getting a few of the LED worklights to try first.

PS: The closer your light gets to 100, the harsher the light and the shadow. Imagine the light used in a Siberian prison torture cell... That's a problem that had to be overcome with LED lighting, it was so harsh it made things seem blue. The elegant kludge was to add some yellow around the bulb to give it a warmer tone.
eng_pl_LED-bulb-SMD-GU10-1W-230V-warm-white-575_1.jpg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Quality LED's have CRI ratings also . . .

Standard LED's are usually deficient in the Red spectrum.

Here is a photo taken with a Cree LED with a CRI=93 on the right:

high-CRI-1.png

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Timely post. Replacing every fixture in our facility with LEDs. Decided to go warm to emulate what's in the house.

Name
Nate W.
We inspect rugs with natural light.. I can't count how many times I hear customers say, wow I didn't notice this/that in my house.. I'd rather have natural light IMHO...

We have florescent lights in ours, bulbs unknown but our roll up shop door is where we inspect them..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom