Dog dander smell

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
We gets lots of dog dander smell jobs, but every now and then we get one that is really bad.

We had an empty place that smelled like dog before you even opened the door. The dog smell was so terrible i thought i would toss my lunch. It had been vacuumed but we vacuumed it until the bagless wouldn't show anything. We pretreated with bio-breK ( the best for dog dander we have tried ) ran the crib, then rv360i with a brush head, then pre treated again with Harvard green tea and let sit for a bit then hit the whole thing with a wand. Smelled great when we left.
2 days later the landlord went to the job and said it still smells. I checked it and sure enough the place smelled horrible.
Ran out ozone machine for 48 hours and it was fine.

What is your favorite dog dander smell pre treat or after cleaning treatment?
We have never had to run an ozone machine like that before. I hope you guys have a better chem option for dog dander.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Can you spread the fibers to get a look at the base to see of there is compacted material?

Maybe a stiff dose of Pro's Choice Molecular Modifier?

Whatever you do, you should ventilate the fook out if that place for the following few days.

Could there be urine you are not aware of?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
No urine.
We dug the crap out of the carpet. I really don't think there could be much if anything left in the carpet.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Yep what Mikey just said....it gets into everything...almost like a smoke damage and sometimes worse.

We fight these every now and then as well, and it is tough just finding all the odor sources...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Carpet sanitizer as your prespray and use as a rinse. SSS carpet sanitizer

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
No urine.

did you pull back the carpet or put the UV light on it?

we rehabbed a condo years ago with a similar problem .
we disengaged the carpet to confirm there was no urine contamination ..there wasn't .

"Warnerized" it , then Cert Pile brush hooked to the TM, then Warnerized it again .
Nuked it with enzyme prespray, slow thorough flush/rinse extract , then applied the latest and greatest whoopity-doo deodorizer de jour.

A day later, you could still smell dog .
applied another whooptiy-doo best ever deo/sanitizer and recleaned then ran ozone for two days .
thought we got it...but noooooo.....three days later, dog odor lingered again

gave it one more try before telling the owner it needed replaced ...I HOSED it down with a ridiculously strong dilution ratio of sodium perc
gave 30 min dwell and flush/rinsed

that finally did it

.L.T.A.

Reactions: Able 1

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I've had pretty good results using Cobb's Powermax or a similar product. Gotta have a ton of D'limonene to break up those doggie oils and a good oxidizer. Mix it extra strong and add a good strong dose of Hydrocide, then soak it down with prespray, let it sit awhile, rinse and repeat 3 times.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
We have stopped using cobbs power max on dog dander carpet. We love that stuff and use it every day but it doesn't work well on dog dander.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I think a purpose-specific anti-microbial is key because it's probably not just be from the dander itself, but the biological activity it supports by being organic in nature.

Unless you get it all, adding moisture that is void of any anti-microbial properties will likely just kick it up a notch.

Might want to meter a good stiff dose of coodie-killer into your rinse regardless of your what you pretreat with.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
That last one I tackled was a real stinker. Thought I had it three times (I'm stubborn) and the smell still came back.

Finally just refunded the room and advised them to replace.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Who is going to ask Merty what works for him, because it ain't going to be me.

giphy.gif

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Microban Clean Carpet Sanitizer worked well on this, but the product has been discontinued. I've been told that Benefect Botanical and Microban Botaniclean work, but I have no first hand experience with these products on that specific problem.

The source removal advice given previously is valid as well.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Jim, the issue with Benefect is the long lasting smell. Better than the dog smell for sure, but in my experience it takes forever to dissipate.

Reactions: hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom