Drill Powered Agitation

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
I've recently seen several videos on the internet of people using brushes driven by battery powered drills to agitate upholstery. Seems to be in auto upholstery mainly but still :eekk:... seems a little aggressive. Am I wrong? Has anyone done this or have seen it done?

Reactions: BIG WOOD and DAT

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
seems a little aggressive. Am I wrong?

depends on the brush they're using I reckon

a regular drill would be rather unwieldy too methinks

one of these would be better

upload_2018-6-1_22-15-13.jpeg

..L.T.A

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
we had 1500 TRASHED theater seats we did a few years ago
Mechanical agitation (with NUKE 'em dead pre-spray) made life easier

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Probably not as bad as it appears as long as the pad is wet out. NOT dry.

You can do a pretty decent job of maintenance cleaning with Encap. Vacuum, spray, the wet pad is your rinse cycle. It's not corrective cleaning but it will greatly improve appearance.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I use it all the time...
20180601_200513.jpg

The yellow is good to use on upholstery if it got a lot of craps on it, but I prefer to use the white one. Great agitation. The green I use on carpet, and red is too stiff although it perfect for rough uneven granite stone tile for cleaning.

I also use the red as a driver sometime but I wish it was 8 inch brush size though...

20180601_201143.jpg

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I have one of those but they are unwieldy. Maybe one of those Harbor Freight random orbital grinders. Like a mini orbot.
I have one of those dual head polishers that I used for an Airstream, but it is a heavy beast and would be hard to manipulate into the edges or seams.

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
With today's polyester...yes I think it's too agressive. Polyester already wears out with just feet walking on it. A spinning brush at 1500rpm? yes, even worse. Bending the fiber all different ways has to weaken it.

A CRB just pulls the fiber straight up in it's natural state, which, I feel is the proper way to agitate. I don't even bring in a 175 any more, unless it's olefin commercial or berber carpet.

I remember the stupid IICRC method of agitation using a stiff ass carpet rake. Dumb ass teachers who probably have never pushed a wand came up with that slave work

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
With today's polyester...yes I think it's too agressive. Polyester already wears out with just feet walking on it. A spinning brush at 1500rpm? yes, even worse. Bending the fiber all different ways has to weaken it.
A CRB just pulls the fiber straight up in it's natural state, which, I feel is the proper way to agitate. I don't even bring in a 175 any more, unless it's olefin commercial or berber carpet.
I remember the stupid IICRC method of agitation using a stiff ass carpet rake. Dumb ass teachers who probably have never pushed a wand came up with that slave work
We are discussing upholstery.

Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Have to dig out my harbor freight angle buffer with variable speed and use a tuway ........keep on the truck.
And I could dig out my cyclo too with those white brushes!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
With today's polyester...yes I think it's too agressive. Polyester already wears out with just feet walking on it. A spinning brush at 1500rpm? yes, even worse.

didya bump your hED diving into the shallow end of the pool this morning?? :icon_redface::icon_razz:

who in their right mind would use hand drill to agitate carpet?
as mentioned, we're talking agitation of Upl

Most drills are variable speed ..so no reason to sling slop.

over the years, when agitation was necessary , we used hand tools (brushes, bonnets, sponge, towel , etc) more often than not

For mechanical agitation, we never used a drill (but don't see a thing wrong with it with proper brush or bonnet)
we've used orbital car wax buffers, variable speed angle buffer/grinders, those cheap homeowner battery tub n shower scrubbers ( junk) ...

But my personal fav for res is a hand turbo vac hooked to TM.
Light, nimble, maneuverable , effective
can be used with a light touch and heavy touch for trashed fab that can handle aggressive agitation

when needed, there's not a thing wrong with mechanical agitation if/when the operator has enough sense to know what and where to use .
It can speed production and/or greatly aid in making trashed chit beautiful again

The ergos of a "normal" drill though, would make it my last choice for power'd agg
angle drill would be much better

and a hand turbo vac IS the chit!

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bending the fiber all different ways has to weaken it.

you're over thinking it
you do know the fiber is bent flat when CRB brush is directly over it, right?

both tools "bend" the fiber .
One shoves it down and slides a "round" over it
one shoves it down, bends it both ways back and forth

it's the same, only different......

..L.T.A.

Reactions: rick imby

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Do you have as picture and/or hyperlink?

no links of where to buy

but this is what I'm talking about

upload_2018-6-2_11-44-33.jpeg

we used "throw-a-way" vacs ..replaced w/new every year at least
They all come with a cheap turbo vac tool, so when one burnt up, there were more to grab

also used the "professional" ones sold by distys
They'd last a little longer ....but cheap ones were essentially free and ubiquitous

also used them to agitate steps at times

...LT.A.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I tried soft brush on a dewalt ONCE on uph. Too aggressive. Never tried it again since. You can ruin furniture easily.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
we had 1500 TRASHED theater seats we did a few years ago
Mechanical agitation (with NUKE 'em dead pre-spray) made life easier

..L.T.A.
What did you bid the seats at? I just did a bid a few weeks ago for a theater. The carpets and seats haven't been cleaned for over 10 years. They were disgusting. I bid the job at $3 a seat. About 700 seats total. I haven't heard back from them. I think I was too high, but hell, I refuse to work for $1 per seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
not enough!!!....$3.50 or $4 bukz I think
If it hadn't of been for all the other stuff we did there where I made good money, I'd of been lucky to break even on them they were so trashed :madder::(:madder:

..L.T.A.
Ok, so I wasn't too far out there. This place must be cheap. I'm sure they'll find an illegal to do it for $1 per seat. God bless the dreamers.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm sure they'll find an illegal to do it for $1 per seat

speaking of....

hablas español??

get you one for per diem labor in empties and com
Pay 'em cash under the table.....

hell, even the 100 pound Honduras chic will work harder/better than 69.888% of healthy young white bread candyazz millennials.....

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom