Drury Rug?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Have a message on my cell wanting to know if we do Drury Rugs? Well since I am a beginner at this rug thing what exactly is a drury rug? Is it a brand name, are they usually wool? Give me a little info here before I call them back please?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
BLewis said:
Have a message on my cell wanting to know if we do Drury Rugs? Well since I am a beginner at this rug thing what exactly is a drury rug? Is it a brand name, are they usually wool? Give me a little info here before I call them back please?

Her you go ...for starters...Be carful...they are a PITA...make sure you block..!!!!!!!

http://www.baneclene.com/catalog/rugs.html

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
As Harry stated above.. Dhurrie.. and no blocking is needed. Chinese Needlepoints.. full wash of afghans or borderd wiltons yess.. but Indian Dhurries are flat woven rugs usually wool as the top and a cotton foundation. These rugs are very durable and often take alot of abuse. Always check for color bleed, but we often will go nuclear on these with pressure cranked up and often we can/ need to use higher alkaline cleaning agents to loosen the soils of these rather soiled rugs. But don't forget to vacuum vacuum vacuum. They still hide a surprising amount of dry soil with no pile. You can use a rug badger on these but need to put tyvek down first.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Typically wool on cotton foundation, but can be cotton or silk face too. The biggest problem is the edge cord will shrink more than the rest of the rug, leaving it puckered and needing to be blocked to lay flat. Most cleaners don't bother to do this and give a wrinkly rug back to the customer.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
They also have a dying process that is almost akin to denim dyes on your knees - that they can rub off with a lot of foot traffic or heavy scrubbing - and the wool is not always the best quality so it can look gray as that wool underneath comes out more.

These are cheap rugs. Some woven by prison labor in India. Decorators love them because they can mark them up high.

Sidecords and wraps can be THICK, and foot traffic can sometimes create a split or wear along these edges - they also like to sometimes curl on the corners. Just need to pre-inspect closely both sides.

Lisa

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
See I didn't even know how to spell it correctly.

Thanks Joe, Harry, Bryon and Lisa for the info. I am cleaning up the rug shop today and doesn't seem like anything I can't handle just wanted to pre-qualify before talking to the customer.

I don't have a badger but have set up my Sanitare with extra bar with double beater bars and with enough passes I can still get 2-4 pounds of dry soil and sand (after several vacuum runs), so for around $38 this has worked good for me. Currently time is on my side so even though it probably takes 3 times the time as a badger it still seems to work ok for now.

Again, thanks for the input

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For some unknown reason all the Dhurries we see are abused, both sides heavily ground in soil. They clean fine but I would say they still show the beating they've taken.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Agreed, these the abuse the hell out of type rugs! And like Lisa mentioned.. they will begin to gray out pretty early in their life.

Ron K

Air Dusting is probably the best way to remove the "Dry" from any flat weave, but a Beater bar only "Brush Roll" should work ok. Don't be in such a Rush to buy a Wolverine or Badger. We find the Beater bar is sometimes a lot safer and does a better job, besides being a lot Cheaper. Also some real Cheap Flat Weaves have Paper in their side cords, we've seen a few. I think Brian posted about this .

Ron K

Hey Billy WTF on the "Drury Rug" Post you say you are a newbie. Maybe you should go to your own Web Site. There is a picture of a guy with a bunch of rugs
Who T F is that???

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ron K said:
Hey Billy WTF on the "Drury Rug" Post you say you are a newbie. Maybe you should go to your own Web Site. There is a picture of a guy with a bunch of rugs
Who T F is that???

I have to agree with Ron on this one.. :shock:

Billy,

You have a very professional looking website...HOWEVER..is certainly does not
reflect your TRUE skills... :roll: I hope that your are new to the biz..otherwise
we here will not be so quick to offer our help..!

After reveiwing your site ... I can see that ...ALL the photo's are "clip art"..
I, personally find this to be mis-leading to the perspective client.. If you ask
for the advice on this board.? it is FREELY..supplied..and can be a valueable asset..!

We all need to have the most professional looking advertising that we can find...BUT
it would BEHOUVE you to take some classes or hire certified technitions...who can
perform the services ..YOU advertise.. :idea:

Enough said..
NO hard feelings.."I HOPE.. :?:

"You know ..what they say about FREE advice.." :wink:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Ron K said:
Who T F is that???

Speaking of sites and to help eachother proof read mistakes, Ron on your rug page... I want to see your 3' x 5" machine made rug! :mrgreen: thought I would point that out to you! no offence meant!

Ron K

David
Thanks I've read that a thousand times but it's always been 3'x5'. :oops:
Ron

-JB-

Name
JB
Ron K wrote:
Who T F is that???

Speaking of sites and to help eachother proof read mistakes, Ron on your rug page... I want to see your 3' x 5" machine made rug! :mrgreen: thought I would point that out to you! no offence meant!

aww, Dave just gets off on critiquing rug sites! :roll:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Ronald and Joe,

Thanks for pointing all of this out. Doesn't look like you know who I am (and there's no real reason you should). I did not do rugs the first year I was in business and this was so noted on my web site at that time. Then after the terrible accident I was out of my new found career for about 1.5 years while I healed up and so on. After being back in since Sept 08 I have just started to do rugs myself about 8 months ago and have cleaned a fair number just never had a dhurry (and this is why I ask for your guys help). I always explain to any new customer my experience with rugs and also my abilities to get professional advice from both my friend in Canada and this board. It just so happens that my mentor is on his one month vacation in Jamaca at this time.

Anyways since this business is sorta new to me actual cleaning time 2.5 years but in the business longer I feel that I am still a newby considering the experience I see with most of you guys and gals on this board. From having spent 34 years in the restaurant business there was hardly anything I ran across in that business that was new to me. And with carpet cleaning I feel I will be running across new stuff, new experiences, new challenges for years to come. I do plan on getting alot more training in alot of areas as time allows.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
JB said:
Ron K wrote:
Who T F is that???

aww, Dave just gets off on critiquing rug sites! :roll:

No... well that just another subject.. That just happened to catch my eye! Any miss spelled word and it would have passed me! :D

Ron K

Billy,
Hope you're feeling better. Who's your mentor in Canada?? Your web site pictures look like Phil's system. The fringe tool, the Wash Pit even you text on your Oriental Rug page "Authentic" . When did you take his class? Is that your Cleaning Work Shop?

-JB-

Name
JB
No... well that just another subject.. That just happened to catch my eye! Any miss spelled word and it would have passed me! :D

LOL!

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Ron,
My mentor is Ian Hopkins. This was a picture of his rug plant back in the day and he took all of this training and then some.
My shop used to be a 3 car garage when we lived in Winchester. Now since the move I am trying to get set back up again and have only been doing limited rug service. However, we've been fairly busy with carpet cleaning and this has worked out fine for us.

Here's a picture of my wreck, I laughed when Mikey said once he would rather run his bike into a Mac Truck than to do something, well after having done this I would highly advise against it!

Wow, when I look back at these pictures I feel very blessed to just be alive and see my wife and kids everyday!!!

crash9.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash4.jpg

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Yes, it is Ian himself. But, I may add I had all those accounts set up before he came to town. He worked with me on other commercial accounts and for that matter he usually gets frustrated at me cuz I am to cheap.

What a stand up guy he is! I seriously doubt that anyone on this board or in the carpet community for that matter would even begin to give of themselves the way he has given to me and my family. (I do see some folks here that are very helpful to most that ask)

I find that most people here that talk ill of him don't really know him and are just jeolous of his success the way you are some others here and you like to bash them as well.

I think after the wreck there was alot of untruthful remarks, and oppions given, and all of them couldn't have been further from the truth. But, you know that has taken up enough space on this board previously so no use to dwell on it any further.

Well it's time to sign off for the night, I'll leave you guys to haggle.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Leave Billy alone guys. He's one of us and is a genuinely nice dude who is about as honest as the day is long. No need to pick him apart ... go find some bait-n-switch cleaner to attack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom