Dry mats/hardwood

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
What flavor do you use and why?
Also, what are practical applications for what you use them for?

Ive had more hardwood jobs than usual lately. I've had success with pressurized tenting and time lately but would like a more professional look along with quicker set-up.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
What is the profitability of drying it out (if it dries) vs tearing it out?

(I'm too slow on a Sunday to look it up).

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
It depends. If its glued down I don't even what to tear it out. I did have a good crew of beaners that I used to remove glue down and stuff like that but they disappeared.

As far as tearing out hardwood that is nailed down - there is not a ton of money in it. I'd much rather dry it. I've got one cooking right now that is tightly tented with forced hot air. I checked it today and it still had a little to go. Drying mats wouldn't have worked as well because of the beveled edges and gaps. There wouldn't have been much of a suction on the floor. I'm hoping that the cupping will eventually reduce. The adjuster is swinging out in the morning so I can tell him how awesome I am and how much money I saved him by saving the floor.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
There is also the hassle factor, most homeowners will accept a slight amount of imperfections if they can avoid removal replacement sanding and staining.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
If you're doing a top down drying on the hardwood from the 2nd level, and you're using both mats and heat, would you create a cavity say 12x12 in the ceiling below it and put another etes directing the heat from the bottom? or one from the bottom and just the mats would do fine?

What's the average fees you guys are getting for both mats/etes/day? I took a peek on xactimate and it was approx $400/day, is that correct?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you're doing a top down drying on the hardwood from the 2nd level, and you're using both mats and heat, would you create a cavity say 12x12 in the ceiling below it and put another etes directing the heat from the bottom? or one from the bottom and just the mats would do fine?
That would improve your odds I'm sure. Small chamber causing low vapor pressure. Cutting into the ceiling might be a deal breaker for some homeowners unless it was already wet.

Rates I'd have to ask John and he's out all week at a mold job, they've been coming at 7:00 trying to beat the heat.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen

What's the average fees you guys are getting for both mats/etes/day? I took a peek on xactimate and it was approx $400/day, is that correct?

The best way to insure that you can successfully dry ahardwood floor is to dry the top of the floor from the top and the bottom ofthe floor from the bottom. I use a Phoenix 200 HT blowing into an E-TES on thebottom and a Phoenix 200 HT blowing into an E-TES on top. The top of the flooris vented using Injectidry floor mats covered with plastic. I focus on the humidityreadings under the plastic on the top of the floor and the humidity readingfrom the Injectidry exhaust. I use a hammer probe to take MC readings from thebottom of the floor to insure the floor is dry and not mark up the top finishedfloor.
I have had success heating the floor from the bottom andpulling that hot air through the floor using the Injectidry mats, with adehumidifier vented under the plastic, over the mats. Here in New England theair is very dry in the winter months and dehumidifiers may not be necessary ifI can get the ambient temperature of the rooms where I want them.
If I was unable to get access to the bottom of the floor andthe homeowner still wanted to try to dry it, I would have them sign limitationswaver and explain that the project may not be cost effective.
I get $220 per day for the E-TES, $25 for the air mover and$180 for the Injectidry with mats. I can successfully dry a floor in two orthree days using these methods so I don't get much push back on the cost ofdrying.

Reactions: tmdry

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Lately I've been seeing hardwood over concrete so heating from the bottom is impossible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom