Dual Fuel Vans

Discussion in 'The Hardware' started by Rob Grady, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Rob Grady
    Rob Grady

Name:
    Rob Grady
    I am considering buying a gas/propane fueled Chevrolet van. Has anyone ever installed a Little Giant Heater to the existing propane supply, or would there be a need to have a separate tank installed to supply heater?
    My question is, would there be enough pressure to supply both the vehicle engine and the heater unit?
  2. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    Have you contacted a fuel heated truckmount dealer with this question? I'd give TCS in Atlanta a call and ask them. They're a good crew that should be able to answer that question.
  3. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    We used to have a lot of those years ago. I worked for a company that had duel fuel vans and we ran lg's from the vehicles propane tank. Not sure how it was hooked up. I think it was a separate supply line and regulator from the top of the tank.
  4. KevinD
    KevinD

Name:
    Kevin Dumas
    Heaters need a separate tap coming out of the lp tank for vapor along with a proper vapor regulator.
    The vehicle runs on a liquid tap.
  5. Rob Grady
    Rob Grady

Name:
    Rob Grady
    Thanks for the replys. So I am reading into this that the supply tank would need two separate fittings, or a 'tee' to make it work?
  6. Shane T
    Shane T

Name:
    Shane Tiegs
    A tee won't work. The vehicle uses liquid propane gas and the heater needs the vapor propane gas. Two different taps.
  7. Rob Grady
    Rob Grady

Name:
    Rob Grady
    I have a vapour regulator that came with the Little Giant Heater. I think that would change the liquid propane to Vapour?
    No?
  8. Shane T
    Shane T

Name:
    Shane Tiegs
    No. The tank will have liquid and vapor in it. The vapor is removed from the upper portion of the tank and liquid from the lower.
    Cleanworks likes this.
  9. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Best to see a RV guy who does tank certifications. They should have everything you need. I believe the old units we used had a vapour connection that was separate from the vehicle connection. Not teed. It came from the top of the tank.
  10. Rob Grady
    Rob Grady

Name:
    Rob Grady
    Thanks. I understand now, that I need to check the tank to see if it has a second outlet to install line for vapour regulator.
  11. Shane T
    Shane T

Name:
    Shane Tiegs
    Go to your local propane dealer. He will fill you in on what is needed. It's very likely your tank will need to certified if any alterations are made.
    Cleanworks likes this.