Dump truck or dumpster?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Which one makes more sense to have?

A dump truck w/ lift or dumpster at your facility to throw away tear outs?

We've been renting a 16 footer penske now for 3 weeks straight. 2 offices down from us our neighbor has a medium size dumpster (not big enough for our needs), I thought about seeing the cost differences of upgrading "his dump" or just purchasing a npr dump truck w/ lift. My only drawback is the cost of most dump type trucks and their size are usually 12 footers vs the 16 foot box truck penske's.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bill we will big some back to dump in our dumpster (20-30 bags) but if it's anything of real substance we will use a roll off at the site. Saves hauling and the will come pick it up when full or when you are done with it.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
When I call all the roll off dumpster companies it is on the exact day/hours of tear outs, we won't schedule to have it dropped off. So if we get the job the night before, and start tear outs the very next morning, we don't want to wait for it to be dropped off, we would rather just put it straight into the truck. All the places I've called deliver it within 3 days if it's not a major statewide emergency.

Some homes it just has not been pratical to use a roll off. I would do it more often if they were to come within a few hours tops of our arrival at the job site. We just got in the habit of having a large truck picking up the trash and moving equipment around, etc.

I'm also charging it..I charge $245-$450 per dump fee per job, a 16 footer will do between 1-3 jobs fully packed up. It's also used to carry equipment. I looked at most dump trucks and they just seem too small for what we would need it for (the height is #1 issue).

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
WE just order in a dumpster to the site. Why haul it if you can bill it?

What about daily, regular tear outs? I'm talking about the run of the mill 5-10 trashbag type of jobs. Getting to the landfill is a real pain around here.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a dumpster here for the small ones but even those will add up. Our dumpster has been full for a few weeks. They dump it and we refill it with the 6-mil trash bags sitting on the ground. Another week and hopefully it's all cleaned up. We charge per bag and per bag for disposal.

We normally bring back small orders, sub a contractor for larger and when needed order a roll off for larger projects. They can do next day here, sometimes if you're lucky even same day.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
We have a dumpster here for the small ones but even those will add up. Our dumpster has been full for a few weeks. They dump it and we refill it with the 6-mil trash bags sitting on the ground. Another week and hopefully it's all cleaned up. We charge per bag and per bag for disposal.

We normally bring back small orders, sub a contractor for larger and when needed order a roll off for larger projects. They can do next day here, sometimes if you're lucky even same day.

That is pretty much how we roll.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
What about a dump trailer? Go to the dump less. Charge for each pick up truck load on each job. I bet you could pay for a trailer really fast. Stuff with engines needs attention. Just my thoughts. Trailers can be abused.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Paying someone to drive to the dump, gas and dump fees are more costly and less efficient than having a roll off at the shop.

With a roll off the guys pull in and chunk it in.

With dump fees we are still doing ok $$$ with this method.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Ok we will need to do some investigating to see what works best for us.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It depends on the job, but if you have room and you are allowed to have a roll off at the shop it would be great. If it is a lot of dem at one job site I would order a roll off to the job site, remember for the most part with restoration, labor is what will consume cash flow till you get paid, so the more you limit/ control labor the better off and more liquid condition you will be able to maintain. Thus ensuring a more comfortable level of operating cash flow in the event of multiple jobs flow in simultaneously.

Remember the more efficient you are throughout the job, the more profitable the job will be in the end.

Reactions: tmdry

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
No room at the shop for roll off or larger dump.

I called and checked w/ 5 different local companies and they all need at least a day's worth notice upfront, most of our jobs are called in now, do the demo tonight or first thing in the am, so it's hard for the guys to wait on the roll off, esp when you got several demos going on at the same time. I might look into a npr w/ lift or just keep doing the 16 footer box thing, if we are able to coordinate a roll off to the site, we will do that too, since we also do repairs, I rather leave the roll off there till everything is done, which can take a few weeks to a few months depending on payment/insurance.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bill you might look at a cheap hauling trailer like Tom mentioned. The guy that does our hauling uses a car trailer and can usually haul a pretty decent load of bags. You could also get an enclosed trailer and have it pull double duty as an equipment hauler. ???

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks but I hate trailers.

We are getting by w/ the Penske, but I know it'll be in the $2k range for the month's rental.

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
i haul it to my trash pit unless it’s rubber or carpet then it goes to my dumpster or the dump. Yes, I have a huge trash pit. Burn it and bury it. lots of cabinets and baseboards waiting to be burned. finally had some moisture \ snow, so we’ll burn this weekend.

Connor

Name
Connor
Dumpster at your location. Build some stake rails and use pickup trucks if you dislike trailers .

I'm a jerk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom