T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
What do you think?

Can a committed rug washer skip the dusting step and still provide a good product for the customer? If yes, how?

Please provide observations for how you conclude?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
dusting is a must. And Apparently a single dusting still isn't enough.
While at Robert Mann"s facility I witnessed a urine soaked rug get vacuumed, wash, rinsed and soaked multiple times. It even got rinsed while in the centrifuge. It was hung up to dry. The rug still needed to be done again. It went though the multiply process again. after drying it was placed in the tumble... on the floor after the tumbling of this clean rug was a dust and fur ball the size of a small dog.

In conclusion-- Two dusters should be the goal of any Large rug cleaning faculty-- one for dirty rugs and one for clean rugs.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I know a few larger Moore operations, including the one locally, that don't dust. We do a shitty job of it but we do try

Mikey P

Administrator
Our building partners "just" vacuum front and back..

Same as Talisman down the road

No Badgers, Weasels or whackers or tumblers

Chris A

Name
Chris
My only reason to dust would be to try and eliminate fringe issues. I bought a rug sucker for extraction but I still end up re cleaning most fringes after the rug dries. It has reduced my dry time from 2 days to 12-18 hours which is awesome

Ron K

Sanitaires
So they are using a time tested Beater/Brush Roll. It's what we still use if the 10 footer is not appropriate.
It is excruciatingly slow but very effective and if properly applied, pre&post Wash, very thorough

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
So maybe I misunderstood the topic.
I thought dusting could also be the same as vacuuming; which should always be done.
I don't think the old fashioned dusters removed that much- and maybe not worth the price.
however the tumbler seemed to leave also soften the rugs as well as remove additional debris.

Reactions: T Monahan

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
A Tumble Duster is a "Duster" for the sake of this discussion as noted by the previous comments. There are small push-pull strap dusters and larger automated 14, 16, and 19 foot strap dusters that convey rugs through the machine. The MOR Time Saving Company made them for decades. Centrum Force makes this size now too.

Big steel Tumble Dusters can handle lots of weight and volume of rugs at once:
P1000086.JPG
P1000088.JPG
Joe Gabel's place

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Dusting or vacuuming can be effective depending on how you do it. I used to work for a company who neither dusted or vacuumed but always told us to be careful handling bagged rugs because he didn't want the customer to see dust on the inside the bag.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
What is swept up off the floor after a 30 minute cycle would not come out of these rugs just with vacuuming:

P1000081.JPG

Ron K

Lot's of lint and short staple yarns.
Was that after initial wash?
First/pre-wash tumble would have given off lots more grit/soil in our area at least.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Can a committed rug washer skip the dusting step and still provide a good product for the customer? If yes, how?

Yes, by doing a hell of a lot of work during the cleaning process. The best methodology would be using a paddle scraper/weighted roller if you hand clean, or using a Roll-a-jet (with working rollers) if you have a larger shop. These methods push crap up and out of the nap better than brushes or sprayers can.

Getting grit out when the rug is dry is a lot easier, and allows a weaker wash process to be effective.

Reactions: roro and T Monahan

Ron K

Yes, by doing a hell of a lot of work during the cleaning process. The best methodology would be using a paddle scraper/weighted roller if you hand clean, or using a Roll-a-jet (with working rollers) if you have a larger shop. These methods push crap up and out of the nap better than brushes or sprayers can.
Getting grit out when the rug is dry is a lot easier, and allows a weaker wash process to be effective.
Really?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom