Dye Lock

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
A few questions for those of you with knowledge and experience using Dye Lock:

1. Any knowledge how it actually works? (It is not an acid.)

2. Does it successfully prevents dye bleeds in oriental rugs that have urine damage. As these rugs’ dyes will float and bleed.

3. Any adverse long term effects on the wool, dyes, adverse reaction to sunlight or anything you are aware of.

4. Is it recommended (or not) by the wool manufacturers or any area rugs manufacturers?

Thanks in advance.
Ofer

John Watson

1. Any knowledge how it actually works? (It is not an acid.) No, Just know it has worked for me the 3 of 4 times I have used it.. (I also don't care where the dirt goes when I encap)

2. Does it successfully prevents dye bleeds in oriental rugs that have urine damage. As these rugs’ dyes will float and bleed. Haven't tried it on a Pee Pee rug??

3. Any adverse long term effects on the wool, dyes, adverse reaction to sunlight or anything you are aware of. No

4. Is it recommended (or not) by the wool manufacturers or any area rugs manufacturers?
I don't think the sheep care and the rugs I used it on, I had no way to contact the makers.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
John,
Thanks for your response.
So what did you use it for?
Was it a rug you tested and found out it was a bleeder, or one you just thought may be a bleeder?

Anybody else tried it on urine damaged rugs?

John Watson

I have used it twice on upholstery and once on a rug and yes pre-testing
determined if we try it or not on the upholstery and the rug had a glass of wine spilt which caused the colors to run so we knew there was a pretty good chance we had a bleeder before cleaning. When testing we found my process did not cause anymore color migration so I cleaned it first, then I corrected the bleeding before applying the dye loc, and then treated with Dupont Teflon for wool.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
kolfer1 said:
A few questions for those of you with knowledge and experience using Dye Lock:

1. Any knowledge how it actually works? (It is not an acid.) Dye Lock actually keeps any loose dyes from settling onto a fiber and becoming fixed. It does not keep dyes from leaving a fiber, just keeps them from going anywhere else on the rug. Called a dyed dispersant.

2. Does it successfully prevents dye bleeds in oriental rugs that have urine damage. As these rugs’ dyes will float and bleed. Yes. As above, dyes that have been damaged and loosened by urine damage are not prevented from coming off a fiber, but they will not land somewhere else and produce color bleed.

3. Any adverse long term effects on the wool, dyes, adverse reaction to sunlight or anything you are aware of. No long term adverse effect. A few jobs with upholstery fabric that was crocking onto people's clothing as they sat on the chairs were fixed by application of Dye Lock, leaving it on the fabric after cleaning.

4. Is it recommended (or not) by the wool manufacturers or any area rugs manufacturers? I don't know of any manufacturer of rugs who has stated one way or the other that they reccommend or don't recoomend Dye Lock.

Thanks in advance.
Ofer

Scott Warrington

Stevea

John,

I hope you will ask the sheep in the future and look for the manufacturers! Loved your comments.

Scott gave great information on a unique product.

One way to show how it works is to take two glasses of water, put Dye Loc into one and then put some black powdered dye into it (brown works; gray works) and you will see very clearly how well it works and how it keeps the dye from migrating.

Here is a little clip that will help to show what it does
th_DyeLoc.jpg

When you use it on uph or rugs, it is one product that works well and gives one a little extra protection. It is probably one of the products everyone should have on hand for those emergency situations.

SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom