EDDM and John Braun

Beeks

Name
J.R.
He sure seems like a sharp guy but his pieces look too wordy. They need more white space, larger graphic and fewer words.

That's the whole concept around his and some other "guru's" marketing. You don't want to be same as joe blow down the street, a large pic of a dog, and some coupons. Im not gonna give away all his secrets on here, but I used to work with him for a bit, and still implement some of his tactics in my company today.

Very similar to the concept behind the book I told Shane about, "Monopolize your Marketplace" pretty sure Shane is an advocate of this book, check it out, it a good read, and will open your eyes to different marketing strategy.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Can you give us a teaser Travis?, I know about nothing about John or his (or any EDDM) programs

John is former ad executive, I think, now owns a carpet cleaning company in florida and has a coaching program dealing mainly in cold market lead strategies (my words). He was one of the first on the bandwagon of Every Door Direct Mail and has predesigned, plug and play, marketing pieces. Sign up for his coaching program, get all of his predesigned marketing material to simplify the process.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have no problem with it, if it works for you, use it.

As a consumer (maybe its my A.D.D.) I glance at it and would never take the time to read all of it. Just too wordy for me.

So while it is different, at my home it ends up in the same place as the junk mail.

Last edited by a moderator:

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I have no problem with it, if it works for you, use it.

As a consumer (maybe its my A.D.D.) I glance at it and would never take the time to read all of it. Just too wordy for me.

So while it is different, at my home it ends up in the same place as the junk mail.

Doc, I think the concept is if you write a powerful enough headline and call to action, those with A.D.D, can call of just that. For the analytical types you have the body where you can position yourself as an expert. Theoretically the same piece should appeal to both personalities, if the headline and call to action is strong enough.

Reactions: Newman

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I understand the style. Joesph Sugarman used it back in the 80's. That bastard made me buy many things I didn't need simply by describing them in great detail.
Duluth trading still successfully uses that style today.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...eluth&ef_id=OUFOk0a5-SAAAE-F:20131220220032:s

I can't say I'd be interested enough in carpet cleaning to read it.
But I do have a very short attention span. :redface:

Reactions: Shane Deubell

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I would pay the extra money and have john write me a custom piece before using any template.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I understand what you are saying, Satan. However, it is my belief that we often purchase without the awareness that our purchasing decisions have been guided by past ads we have long forgotten with our conscious mind.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
When was the last time you or your wife ordered a service from a mailer advert?

Never.

Its not necessarily for "mailers" I use his ideas for "reminders" he also teaches techniques to use when doing mass emails and such. As well as SEO and other industry specific ideas.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Me?

Service not so much, but catalogs and special offer flyers we buy more than our fair share.

Sierra Trading Post, LL Bean, JC Penny's, Duluth Trading, Bed Bath & Beyond, Valley Vet, Oriental trading, Harbor Freight, Outback, Applebys, Pizza hut, Gambino's. Man we are suckers for a good deal. :icon_redface:

Beeks

Name
J.R.
Me?

Service not so much, but catalogs and special offer flyers we buy more than our fair share.

Sierra Trading Post, LL Bean, JC Penny's, Duluth Trading, Bed Bath & Beyond, Valley Vet, Oriental trading, Harbor Freight, Outback, Applebys, Pizza hut, Gambino's. Man we are suckers for a good deal. :icon_redface:

same here, just used a bed bath and beyond 20% off coupon and bought my wife an kurieg, or however you spell it, for xmas. And I can almost say for a fact that she used Harbor Freight coupon to buy my the tool box I want….

not sure about the LL Bean thing though Doc, lol

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lots of good stuff in there, I'm a sucker for a good catalog.

When I don't have money I just toss them without looking at them....otherwise I'll buy something. They know it too, we get all kinds of gadget and home decorating mags full of stuff we don't need......or do we. Hide them from me! :errf:

As I said if it works I'd keep using it. As a consumer I glance at a lot more than I read, unless it peaks my interest.

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I too am looking at this program. With postage going up again January 1, I am trying to cut the cost of reaching new customers. So if anyone does use John's program, please give us the short take on it. ( does it work or not)

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I understand what you are saying, Satan. However, it is my belief that we often purchase without the awareness that our purchasing decisions have been guided by past ads we have long forgotten with our conscious mind.

I definitely have to agree with the man from Bama. We do not buy for the reasons we think we buy. It still amazes me that people will watch a 30 minute infomercial. But many millionaires have been made by infomercials. But then again there are lots of things I don't understand like reality TV, all the different singing shows, or the Duck people.

Mikey P

Administrator
Hell, does even Stanley or Chem Who have success with direct mail?

Does Hagopian?

You take the yearly advertising budget of a small shop like Torrey has and how much would it cost him to send a piece to a home 3 or 4 times?

Its a numbers game that only the big boys, the really big boys, should play.

and even if you lucked out and Oprah was running a spot on how carpet cleaning cures cellulite the very day your mail piece arrived, you'd still most likely be getting a coupon clipping non loyal customer.

who you better damn well hope your mopey underpaid chimp goes way out of his way to overly impress so she remembers your name next year.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I actually Google'd "Marcating" thinking you learned a new word.

I'm just giddy in anticipation to find out what Kip, Eyeball, Torrey and Fencepost are going to be selling..

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
john a good guy i have used his services a few times and have been very happy.Met him at vegas a couple of years ago very pleasant to talk to.
His ad of the month program is a bargain,
But I'm sure he will get cut down here on this board as a guru as does a lot of others.
His stuff takes a lot of time to do I'm sick and tried of paying so called seo programs and no results so time do things my self.
im not sure about eddm but going to try soon,But if old school applies you are goin to have to hit the same routes several times for it to work well.

johnbraun

EDDM? It works!

EDDM can work great...especially if you are wanting to target specific neighborhoods.

Here are the basics:

The postage is 16 cents per home.

You need to send larger postcards to meet the USPS requirement to mail...usually at least 6.5x9 inches. The larger postcards can be a good thing, because you have more room to sell your services.

No permit fee is required.

No mailing list is required. Just go to the USPS site and pick the mail routes you want to do.

No labeling of postcards is required if you print them up with the right insignia.

I love it and most of my clients love it.

BUT CAUTION: Don't even think about doing EDDM if you're not already mailing postcards or newsletters to your current clients.

YOUR CURRENT CLIENTS ARE YOUR GOLD MINE. Don't neglect them...especially as we get into January.

So yeah, we do client postcards, newsletters, EDDMs, brochures, etc.

As of a little over a year ago, we started doing full scale graphic design and printing fulfillment for our clients. So basically all they need to do is pick out a postcard, EDDM, newsletter, etc and we do the graphic design. Then if they choose, we have it printed and mailed out for them too.

Let me know what questions you guys have. I'd be glad to answer them here.

Here's the replay for a webinar I did a few months ago that explains the basics:

http://www.hitmanadvertising.com/EDDMbasics

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Still like direct mail for top 1-2% of households. But yeah its a niche.

Also would never use any template, makes no sense to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom