Email blast

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Well, it happened to me. All of a sudden my business hit a wall. My schedule has almost completely cleared up. For a while there I was so busy I couldn't even think straight. In an effort to drum up more business I'm blasting out 625 email addresses with this offer. I'll let you know how it works.

IMG_3707.PNG

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
It's amazing how fast things can change. I'll survive because I was ready for it. But it's never fun.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Yup. Happens here too. Jan and Feb always lighter as well as July (big vacation month) and end of august to beg. of September (back to school). We started doing a Jan and Feb promo a couple years back. Really made a difference. Just wrapped up our January one. It didn't do as well as others, but we had our best Jan yet. Just not due to the volume created by the promo. Less than 1/10 of the revenue from the same promo than we've seen in years past. But we'll take that. It just means more people paid our regular prices.

Getting ready to send out our Feb one. It will be for carpet. The Jan one we just did was for couch cleaning.

That being said, what do you think will grab more attention:

50% off first two rooms

Or

Buy one get one Free (first two rooms).

It's the same cost either way, but does one seem like a better deal or more appealing to you?

We've done it both ways In the past, but at different times of the year (Summer slow time during vacations/back to school and wintertime slower times). So I can't say of it was the time of year or the offer that had a bigger impact.

Buy one Get One room did $9,738 (July 2016)
50% off did $13,022 (end of Aug- labor day/back to school season 2015) and $7631 late winter (march) 2016

Hard to tell if it was the offer or time of year. Also the very first promo we ever did was the Aug/Sept 2015. Never gave discounts or specials to our customers before...so could have been bigger because it was the first time they ever got a special. Now we do carpet about twice a year.

As far as our upholstery ones - they were the exact same offer, 50% off couch cleaning...this Jan we did $961.00, and the first one we did was in Jan/Feb 2015 and Did $8399. We repeated it this year because it seems that people clean upholstery far less than carpet...so we figured trying it 2 years later would be a good response rate. It was not!

We did one promo in Late Aug/Sept of 2016 for 20% off all services. That generated $4110. Kicker is it was only 4 jobs and the average job ticket was $1027.00

What is most interesting is the average job ticket for all of them. Most every job added on and didn't do just the promo, but the averages were all over the place.

Buy one Get One room did $9,738 (July 2016) 11 jobs, average job $885
50% carpet off did $13,022 (end of Aug- labor day/back to school season 2015) 17 jobs, average $766
50% off carpet for $7631 late winter (march) 2016 16 jobs, average $476
50% off couch Jan/Feb 2015 $8399, 12 jobs, average $700
50% off couch Jan 2016, $961, 4 jobs, average $240.29
20% off all services, Aug/Sept 2016 $4110, 4 jobs, average $1027

I find it very interesting to play with wording, time of year etc. and see what happens. Looking for patterns, response rate, etc. to help us figure out what will get best response and make us the most $. It all depends on what data is important to you. Actual money, # of jobs booked, Average job ticket. Fun stuff...at least for a geek like me.

Come see me at Mikey's Fest St. Pete where I'll be sharing more about how we track our marketing and what we learn from it during my Friday afternoon session.....(shill moment, I know, but it ties in!)

Reactions: Mikey P and Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Yup. Happens here too. Jan and Feb always lighter as well as July (big vacation month) and end of august to beg. of September (back to school). We started doing a Jan and Feb promo a couple years back. Really made a difference. Just wrapped up our January one. It didn't do as well as others, but we had our best Jan yet. Just not due to the volume created by the promo. Less than 1/10 of the revenue from the same promo than we've seen in years past. But we'll take that. It just means more people paid our regular prices.

Getting ready to send out our Feb one. It will be for carpet. The Jan one we just did was for couch cleaning.

That being said, what do you think will grab more attention:

50% off first two rooms

Or

Buy one get one Free (first two rooms).

It's the same cost either way, but does one seem like a better deal or more appealing to you?

We've done it both ways In the past, but at different times of the year (Summer slow time during vacations/back to school and wintertime slower times). So I can't say of it was the time of year or the offer that had a bigger impact.

Buy one Get One room did $9,738 (July 2016)
50% off did $13,022 (end of Aug- labor day/back to school season 2015) and $7631 late winter (march) 2016

Hard to tell if it was the offer or time of year. Also the very first promo we ever did was the Aug/Sept 2015. Never gave discounts or specials to our customers before...so could have been bigger because it was the first time they ever got a special. Now we do carpet about twice a year.

As far as our upholstery ones - they were the exact same offer, 50% off couch cleaning...this Jan we did $961.00, and the first one we did was in Jan/Feb 2015 and Did $8399. We repeated it this year because it seems that people clean upholstery far less than carpet...so we figured trying it 2 years later would be a good response rate. It was not!

We did one promo in Late Aug/Sept of 2016 for 20% off all services. That generated $4110. Kicker is it was only 4 jobs and the average job ticket was $1027.00

What is most interesting is the average job ticket for all of them. Most every job added on and didn't do just the promo, but the averages were all over the place.

Buy one Get One room did $9,738 (July 2016) 11 jobs, average job $885
50% carpet off did $13,022 (end of Aug- labor day/back to school season 2015) 17 jobs, average $766
50% off carpet for $7631 late winter (march) 2016 16 jobs, average $476
50% off couch Jan/Feb 2015 $8399, 12 jobs, average $700
50% off couch Jan 2016, $961, 4 jobs, average $240.29
20% off all services, Aug/Sept 2016 $4110, 4 jobs, average $1027

I find it very interesting to play with wording, time of year etc. and see what happens. Looking for patterns, response rate, etc. to help us figure out what will get best response and make us the most $. It all depends on what data is important to you. Actual money, # of jobs booked, Average job ticket. Fun stuff...at least for a geek like me.

Come see me at Mikey's Fest St. Pete where I'll be sharing more about how we track our marketing and what we learn from it during my Friday afternoon session.....(shill moment, I know, but it ties in!)

I like the use of the word "Free". It has been proven the the word Free is the #1 most successfully used word in marketing. People pay attention when they see the word free. CHEAP BASTARDS! J/K Sort of.

As for my little email blast. I just booed a job from it. She was very eager to get on the schedule this month before the offer expired. Hoping to book a few more. Looks like my property management companies are dipping me some jobs also. So it looks like if I can control myself I'll survive the month.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Yes. Making it time sensitive is key.

Sometimes we do flash sales on our Facebook page or commubity Facebook groups. It's usually a spot or two we have open or a last minute cancellation. Especially if the middle of the day appt. I'll post it but the key is they have to take that date and time to get that deal. So it works well for those with flexibility. We don't make as much but atl set the TM is running and something's coming in.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
About to do this soon to, some sort of discount for February. Actually I'll send this out tonight. We use promo codes for them to book online with some sort of $ amount off or Free Enzyme Treatment in place of taking $20 off or whatever. Mailchimp is the best for this, because it will let you create templates that are all email friendly. So if your post card type email image won't open, Mailchimp will tell you this before wasting time sending it. Also track and see who opens the link to your site to book.

Reactions: smastio and Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
About to do this soon to, some sort of discount for February. Actually I'll send this out tonight. We use promo codes for them to book online with some sort of $ amount off or Free Enzyme Treatment in place of taking $20 off or whatever. Mailchimp is the best for this, because it will let you create templates that are all email friendly. So if your post card type email image won't open, Mailchimp will tell you this before wasting time sending it. Also track and see who opens the link to your site to book.
Exactly! That's what I use, mailchimp. The first 3,000 email address are free. GOLD!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Yes. Making it time sensitive is key.

Sometimes we do flash sales on our Facebook page or commubity Facebook groups. It's usually a spot or two we have open or a last minute cancellation. Especially if the middle of the day appt. I'll post it but the key is they have to take that date and time to get that deal. So it works well for those with flexibility. We don't make as much but atl set the TM is running and something's coming in.
BTW, I'm very impressed with your tacking of your offers. Good job!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We get real winters, severe cold, ice, snow, sleet. We have tried all sorts of offers but nothing seems to make anyone move once we are in the dead of winter.

Most of our carpet cleaning during these months is commercial with a few residential missed in now and then.

I can say it would have to be one hell of a compelling offer to make me clean in the winter. Even then I'd have to weigh the odds of tracking it up before Spring.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I like the use of the word "Free". It has been proven the the word Free is the #1 most successfully used word in marketing. People pay attention when they see the word free. CHEAP BASTARDS! J/K Sort of.

As for my little email blast. I just booed a job from it. She was very eager to get on the schedule this month before the offer expired. Hoping to book a few more. Looks like my property management companies are dipping me some jobs also. So it looks like if I can control myself I'll survive the month.
Free may work but it is a lie. I used to sell magazine subscriptions that offered a free book with a 5 year subscription. We were told we had to drop the word "free" from our sales pitch because the only way you could get the book was to buy a subscription. Not free at all. A few years ago, I was in Costco and a guy offered me a free cell phone, handing it to me as I walked by his booth. I said thank you and stuck it in my pocket and walked off. He chased me all over the store telling me I had to pay to have it activated. I told him that I didn't want it activated, thank you very much. I eventually returned it to him when security got involved. I think he learned that there is no such thing as a free cell phone. We have a local company here advertising "the first room cleaned free" I want to call them up and tell them I only have 1 room. I feel that type of advertising is false and misleading. Seriously, you're not going to do anything for free. You are just reducing the price a little.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Well this thread gave me encouragement to update customers emails in SM tonight and get a blast out. 1,302 emails sent. Glad I did, already have 3 online bookings from it. Sent our 30 mins ago. This is what ours looks like. Basic $20 off coupon. February is never really slow for us - no bad weather helps. I only did to the 15th since it looks like last 3 years we have been slowest during this period of Feb 1 to Feb 15. And the 15th will be my 31st B-day, so why not. :very_drunk: Here is what the email coupon looks like through MailChimp:

newsletter.jpg

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Well this thread gave me encouragement to update customers emails in SM tonight and get a blast out. 1,302 emails sent. Glad I did, already have 3 online bookings from it. Sent our 30 mins ago. This is what ours looks like. Basic $20 off coupon. February is never really slow for us - no bad weather helps. I only did to the 15th since it looks like last 3 years we have been slowest during this period of Feb 1 to Feb 15. And the 15th will be my 31st B-day, so why not. :very_drunk: Here is what the email coupon looks like through MailChimp:

View attachment 69532
That's awesome. Glad I could inspire you

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I like the $20 off coupon rather than a %discount. 20 bucks is 20 bucks. Everybody gets that. When you offer a %discount, cynical people like me figure you are boosting your presale price anyway.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB

View attachment 69532

This is what I love about SM and really brings value to us. I can pull reports in all sorts of ways and do various comparisons. And then it's super easy to send out a promo via email to everyone or filter by certain parameters. You did it in the short time from reading this post and already booked jobs. That's awesome.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I like the $20 off coupon rather than a %discount. 20 bucks is 20 bucks. Everybody gets that. When you offer a %discount, cynical people like me figure you are boosting your presale price anyway.

This is my next thing to try. I'd love t see if the response rate is greater, how many jobs we book, average invoice etc with a $$ off offer. I may do this for the carpet promo I want to send out for feb. I think I'll tier it....the more you spend, the more you save. $20 off $200, $50 off $250-$300, $75 off $350-$400. $100 off $450-550. Etc.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mikey P

Administrator
Meg

Why don't you experiment with lowering hard surface prices to see if you can increase frequency?
Point out that sealing can be done every other time to reduce cost
No set time compared to carpet..

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Meg

Why don't you experiment with lowering hard surface prices to see if you can increase frequency?
Point out that sealing can be done every other time to reduce cost
No set time compared to carpet..
Good tip! I'm going to do that.

Mikey P

Administrator
there isn't an Owner Op who doesn't know exactly what you're talking about.

In another 5 years you'll be able to relax and enjoy the time off.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Sent out our promo today.... booked two jobs.

Went with a "pick your sale" theme....but either way it was the same thing. Just whatever sounded better to the client. And made a a joke about that in the promo.

50% off (first two rooms) OR buy one get one free (first two rooms) plus 10% off any additinal services.

As I said before our January was the best one yet and Very few did the January Promo compare to years past.

Feb looks excruataing slow so far for bookings. So I hope this promo helps. Weird thing is the weather has been much better than years past. Not a single snow storm yet. No major cold snaps. That could account for the better than Normal Jan. People want to wait till the snow is gone ana it warms up (even with seal a door)

I don't know if spring will be better than average since people didn't spend the money on snow plowing ( and extra snow plowing as needed for the storms we had the past few years).... but then without the snow we don't have the muck that needs to be cleaned that brought into the house from snow boots and dogs going out to do this business and tracking mud in.

Time will tell.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Sent out our promo today.... booked two jobs.

Went with a "pick your sale" theme....but either way it was the same thing. Just whatever sounded better to the client. And made a a joke about that in the promo.

50% off (first two rooms) OR buy one get one free (first two rooms) plus 10% off any additinal services.

As I said before our January was the best one yet and Very few did the January Promo compare to years past.

Feb looks excruataing slow so far for bookings. So I hope this promo helps. Weird thing is the weather has been much better than years past. Not a single snow storm yet. No major cold snaps. That could account for the better than Normal Jan. People want to wait till the snow is gone ana it warms up (even with seal a door)

I don't know if spring will be better than average since people didn't spend the money on snow plowing ( and extra snow plowing as needed for the storms we had the past few years).... but then without the snow we don't have the muck that needs to be cleaned that brought into the house from snow boots and dogs going out to do this business and tracking mud in.

Time will tell.

Did you do a promo code with your online booking? How is that all going?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We don't do online booking.

We tried, but just couldn't get the program we were using to work within our structure. So we dropped it.

This promo was done through SM. We only emailed it to our residential data base. So those booking are existing clients.

Back
Top Bottom