Emulsifiers vs presprays

Dion R

I was wondering if you guys would explain the differences and uses of some of the chemical types. For example emulsifier vs. prespray. In one of the posts Mikey differentiated between the two. That got me wondering. As I understand it emulsifiers break down oily soils. That's the purpose for Prespray too so do you run emulsifiers when prespray is going to cut it?

Thanks

TimP

You need an emulsifier when your prespray isn't enough to clean the carpet. Like in restaurant's or rat nasty carpet. I personally don't use very much emulsifier at all, actually lately I've been using end zone which is an acid based emulsifier, but not a strong emulsifier more of an encap ability. I also like the judson rinse and it's a neutral to acid emulsifier, it is mostly just O2 to finish the job from what I understand. Emulsifiers help clean as you rinse and a good one wont leave a residue to attract soil. There are a lot of guys out there that just run emulsifier through their tm and that's how they clean...no pre spray. IMO if you don't spray out a pre spray and scrub it you're a hack. You need to let your chems dwell to do a proper job. You can run emulsifier or not but if it's not heavily soiled I wouldn't run a strong emulsifier if you want to run one. Use what you need to get the carpet clean and not more. In other words don't nuke it then run a heavy emulsifier (one that is likely to leave residue) unless you have some major nasty carpet and getting it clean is more important than a bit of residue.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The prespray should do most of the work. However, after the first pass with the wand you will have rinsed out most of the prespray. Some heavily soiled areas and pathways require multiple passes. If you don't have an emulsifier running through your solution, those extra passes are being made with plain water.

There may also be areas that did not receive any prespray - under furniture that later gets moved for example. These areas are usually not dirty enough that you need to go back and hit them with prespray. The cleaning power of the emulsifier will help get them clean.

Depending on the type of carpet you are cleaning and how much furniture you move, you may benefit from emulsifier or find that an acid rinse is better.

There are even a few products that give the benefits of a rinse agent - less residues, soft hand, carpet accepts some protectors better - and an emulsifier in the same product. That is what I like about End Zone.

Scott Warrington

rhyde

Name
rhyde
presprays,detergent, extraction detergents are by definition emulsifiers.

large quantities of oil/ grease build up on a textile surface creates greater surface tension than most standard surfactant/ detergent presprays can penetrate & emulsify. Carpet cleaning emulsifiers are special surfactants & additives formulated to cut through grease/oil surface tension and emulsify (suspends in solution ) oils for removal

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
RHYDE you impostor. I am sorry I left you off my list because you are definitely a poster I have to read but what do you use for a prespray and a rinse?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Greatest Carpet Cleaner said:
RHYDE you impostor. I am sorry I left you off my list because you are definitely a poster I have to read but what do you use for a prespray and a rinse?

i use soap made from human fat a liposuction waste product it leaves a very nice feel on carpet! when i run low on that use bridge point bio break and bio cleans, fiber glow for residential sometimes matrix but i really don't like the smell of matrix

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom