Encap on antique Iranian rugs?

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Sierra Clean Care, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    Ive got 6 Iranian rugs in the shop right now. All but one are red with multiple colours/prints. The guy I usually use for rugs in the past, has dropped the ball so to speak. It would take him 2-2 1/2 months to get a rug back to me, and his quality has gone downhill. I think this is in part due to the fact that he sees me as competition, and wants my clients to be disappointed in my services, thus looking elsewhere for services. Anywho, would encapping these rugs be the way to go? And what one specifically? I’m painted into a corner, I need some advice.....
    Jeff @ SCC
  2. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    I should add, I want to use DRY compound.....
    Jeff
  3. Bob Pruitt
    Bob Pruitt

Name:
    Robert Pruitt
    I scored big time on encap chems and compound. Thank you @masterblend ! I stole it. Great stuff and have used it on a rug I would not have touched without it.
  4. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    Any pictures of these rugs?
  5. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    I can go to the shop tomorrow, and take some photos.
  6. Blue-Collar Hero
    Blue-Collar Hero

Name:
    Rich
    It's not the best way to clean them unless there is no alternative. Red is not a problem unless it is bleeder. Have you tested the colors you're concerned with?
  7. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I do many Persian rugs. If a true Persian, usually the quality is good and the dyes don't run with proper cleaning. Test with a white towel and the cleaning solution you plan to use. It's normal to get a little color transfer. I use a cold prespray (Prochem fine fabric) sometimes scrub with a 175, then rinse with a cold to lukewarm solution of neutral cleaner. I haven't had a rug bleed in years.
    Blue-Collar Hero and Bob Pruitt like this.
  8. T Monahan
    T Monahan

Supportive Member

Name:
    Tom Monahan
    Do you clean modern productions of these: Nain, Tabriz and Qum?
  9. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    I have on hand Bridgepoint Wool Perfect, Wool medic, procyon powder, double strenght cleaning vinegar, and powder citric acid. I’m very apprehensive to wet clean. The tab on these 6 rugs is about 1500$. I want to make sure that I do it correctly. Due to the colours, and the fringe(White cotton I believe), i need to get this right. This was dropped into my lap this morning. The last guy that was there REALLY fooked up her wool W/W. he ruined it. I DONT WANT TO BE THAT GUY....
  10. Blue-Collar Hero
    Blue-Collar Hero

Name:
    Rich
    You should pass on these. How close is Ron to you? Sub them to him or pay him to teach you. They are probably easy but why start off on the wrong foot. Get a little training and experience and you'll be ready for next time.
    Bob Pruitt likes this.
  11. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    Ron is 4 hrs away. The lady needs them by this Friday. In for a penny, in for a pound. I was referred from a flooring store. They talked me up to the point I couldn’t say no. Problem is, 99% of the rug cleaning courses are in the US. I’m planning on making this an educational year, as it seems that most guys around here are just wet-n-jetters....not saying I’m better than them, I just know better than just to jump. I need to be able to do these Richard.....
    Blue-Collar Hero likes this.
  12. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    Since I set up my little ‘rug spa’, I’ve run 31 rugs. Everyone has turned out great, simply by following basic principles and limited knowledge. They’ve included wool, viscose, and obviously synthetic. This is the first set that I’m a little apprehensive. I know every rug cleaner started out exactly like me. I’m enrolled in Jim’s uph course, I’m looking into stone, and rug courses. I don’t plan to fly by the seat of my pants. I think education is the cornerstone to any profession. I plan on adhering to those principals.
    Jeff @ SCC
  13. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    M
    Most of the Persians coming my way are more modern productions. I have a rug collector as one of my customers who brings me some antique Persians from time to time. A couple of years ago we did about $30,000 worth of cleaning and demothing on some of antiques. Really heart breaking to see some of the serious moth damage on some of these old masterpieces.
  14. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I try not to have deadlines.
  15. Blue-Collar Hero
    Blue-Collar Hero

Name:
    Rich
    4 hours is not that far. Beg Ron to bump you to the front. Pay him to show you the ropes. You need a local mentor 4 hours is not that far.
  16. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    post pics of all six

Do you have a place to clean and dry them, preferably flat?
  17. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Its 4 hours over a treacherous mountain highway.
  18. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    I will go to the shop in the AM, take pics of the rugs, fringes, and explain/post pics of my system. I will also take stock of any chems that can be used for wool cleaning.
  19. Sierra Clean Care
    Sierra Clean Care

Name:
    Jeff T
    IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER, AND, IT JUST SNOWED A FOOT IN THE LAST 24 HRS..... if it was summer, I’d be loading up my Tundra, and bookin her down to the coast.....
  20. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Probably going to snow here tonight. Hopefully it melts before morning. Don't want to be late for my yoga class.