End of an era, the end of CleanFax.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Jeff-- It's Mikey's fault.--

By attracting better quality online posters

I hope that statement and victory doesn't make MB's a "Circle Jerk of Arrogance"
They aren't just posters...we are all friends. Mike gave us a place where we got to know each other and became friends.

I think thats what does it, we have cleaning in common and banter back and forth like brothers.

Love it and love you guys! :cool:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
They aren't just posters...we are all friends. Mike gave us a place where we got to know each other and became friends.

I think thats what does it, we have cleaning in common and banter back and forth like brothers.

Love it and love you guys! :cool:

True-- I think its all our different personalities that make MB so amusing and entertaining.--
Before meeting some of you in person I thought Mikey was schizophrenic and some posters were just some of Mikeys personalities-- I mean-- who would think that Marty and Bawb are real people :eekk: :lol: :very_drunk:

Love you guys too!!

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Since I was an advertiser, I learned of this sudden change by phone last Thursday.

Well done Jeff! I look forward to working with you in future endeavors.

Reactions: SamIam and GCCLee
F

FB7777

POTD should be Strickland in the back of the Aertech taking a dump in 2007

Both those rags should have been 3-ply

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Jeff wasn't capable of dumbing the information down enough for FB Cleaners. The FB Groups post a question and then there is 30 or so answers where maybe 5 agree on an answer and 25 just post the exact same thing the first guy posted because they didn't bother to read the other comments...too much to read for them.
The CleanFax information has it's place in this Industry...turns out that place is the MB.

F

FB7777

This is what happens to dinosaurs

Neither recognized the raw talent and one even exiled Mike

Sole survivor baby!!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Not sure about Wal Mart, but an Amazon fulfillment center just opened up near me. I think they are hiring.
I am seeing those TV adds as well. way over the $15.00 min wage target. signing bonus, benys!!! WOW!
But, my son works at Fed EX. :(:(

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I always like the futuristic story of the carpet cleaner using the ultra sonic carpet cleaning wand. Should look it up and reprint it here. Very entertaining.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Cleanfax was a refreshing new source of information for carpet cleaners when John Downey started it up. I don't recall exact date, but I think it must have been in the 1980s. It went from being a regional magazine for UCCI / Ohio are to national very quickly.

I remember writing my first article for Cleanfax at the urging of Ed York and how happy I was to see it published. Even after all this time, one or two folks per year ask me about that first article. It involved cleaning a rabbit.

I enjoyed working with Jeff Cross when he becomae editor. He was great to work with.

There was still some great technical articles right down tot he last issues. Tom Forsythe's information on which protectors worked best on which fibers was very practical as well as educational.

I don't think the industry will be left without a trade magazine. Online forums and Facebook are nice, everyuone can have their say. Some posts are humorous, entertaining. Some of the information is good, some is not so good and some will get you in trouble. There is sometimes bullying, trash talking and a lot of irrelevant and repititious content to go through and pick out the gems. In a magazine format, the content has already been editted and fact checked.

I am going to miss Cleanfax. Ready every issue.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
And yet, if you want to advertise to those who have carpet cleaning, rug washing, tile and grout etc as thier interest, 7500 appears to be the magic number..

Ohh agreed, I was talking about the general public though. Cleaners are mainly hybrid companies too, 5-7x that amount with carpet cleaning in the revenue mix. Dedicated carpet cleaners are a pretty nichee group but very vocal, seems like there are many more.

Still think there is a need for an objective platform somewhere with verified information.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Cleanfax was a refreshing new source of information for carpet cleaners when John Downey started it up. I don't recall exact date, but I think it must have been in the 1980s. It went from being a regional magazine for UCCI / Ohio are to national very quickly.

I remember writing my first article for Cleanfax at the urging of Ed York and how happy I was to see it published. Even after all this time, one or two folks per year ask me about that first article. It involved cleaning a rabbit.

I enjoyed working with Jeff Cross when he becomae editor. He was great to work with.

There was still some great technical articles right down tot he last issues. Tom Forsythe's information on which protectors worked best on which fibers was very practical as well as educational.

I don't think the industry will be left without a trade magazine. Online forums and Facebook are nice, everyuone can have their say. Some posts are humorous, entertaining. Some of the information is good, some is not so good and some will get you in trouble. There is sometimes bullying, trash talking and a lot of irrelevant and repititious content to go through and pick out the gems. In a magazine format, the content has already been editted and fact checked.

I am going to miss Cleanfax. Ready every issue.

I couldn't have said it better. I've known Scott nearly half of my lifetime. He's not only one of the smartest men that I know, more importantly he's one of the wisest.

Cleaners deserve an edited and fact checked resource. Its my hope that such a journal will be available to us all.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I loved the magazine. Read every issue faithfully. John had the honor of being profiled first as the first "My Way" article. We won the photo contest of the month and contributed to a few articles. It will be missed!

Thank you, Jeff for your efforts and bring a great resource to all of us!

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I agree with Lee. There never has been or ever will there ever be an un-biased source of information. Information comes from people or Industry and they/we all have a bias. Having one voice tell you things is comforting but limiting.
Ed York was biased...so is Mikey...I like that, and these opinions/biases make us think, re-consider what we have been doing and challenge us to up our game.
Print was like having 2 or 3 channels to watch on television... the Internet is like having cable...but with more channels. Un-settling until you are dialed into information you can trust and where bias or advice not good for the group (ask how I know this...), is called out almost immediately. Sorry Marty...long again.

Reactions: EDS and Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
POTD should be Strickland in the back of the Aertech taking a dump in 2007

Both those rags should have been 3-ply

Connections07060.jpg

Reactions: FB7777
F

FB7777

Everyone's professionalism has been raised by participating here

ICS was censored beyond repair

Cleanfax was dead before I arrived on the boards in 2000

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
"Edited and fact-checked" is a very subjective concept. Even if you took away the influence of advertising dollars a media source can STILL have a bias or uninformed misperception of the facts. A few Consumer Reports articles bear that out.

I agree that it would be a daunting task to produce something that is truly unbiased. I have my own biases and blinders that I attempt to rid myself of nearly every day, and most often I fail.

I will give Jeff Cross credit for having peer reviews done on many of the technical articles that had been submitted for publication in Cleanfax, and the result was that the articles were either changed or not published. Of course, that supposes that even the several reviewers weren't biased....and so it goes.

I've been on the "inside" during more than a few meetings where important industry issues and how they would be relayed to industry. I learned more than I wanted to know about how the things we think are "true" go through quite the sausage grinder before they are presented to the industry.

Or, put another way: "Its better not to know how laws and sausages are made"

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
speaking of which, did you hear how well my colonoscopy went last week?

No polyps, just a stray pumpkin seed.

View attachment 19385

Do you remember the song "My Generation" by the Who, where they say "I hope I die before I get old"?

I used to listen to "old guys" (in my teens someone 40 was old....) talking about aches, pains, bowel movements, and colonoscopies. I swore I'd never be that guy.

I just spent about half an hour comforting my brother in law about his fears about his first colonoscopy...and I guess I'm "that guy" now :(

I'm glad you got a good report Mike; for those very few people like you that I call "friend", I like to think I can have you around for many years to come.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom