End of an era, the end of CleanFax.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Well being one of the old guys I remember very well when Cleanfax started. At Bane Clene it was the high point every two months when the CF came out. We actually would fight over who got it first. When the lady would bring down the mail from the other office we would race to see who got it first. Yes I know how pathetic this sounds.
In 94 (that is 19 not 18) I left and due to non compete issues I went to work for John Downey selling ads for CF. This allowed me to attend every trade show through the country and Canada. What was interesting was the people who were my former competitors, such as Doyle Bloss of Steamway, became my customers. This was an entirely eye opening experience. My partner, Linda Kanouse actually did all the copy editing for John Downey and we would travel over to John Downey's home every month to put the magazine together. At that time John would use a cartoon as the cover and they were very unique. It was a great experience to sit with John and determine certain ideas like who would be the CF person of the year. I remember when we chose Joe Polish and of course the year Ed York was selected. John was always a contrarian and he loved to argue with the industry whether it was the cleaning industry or the carpet industry.

I learned more about the industry from Cleanfax than at any other time in my career. If not for Jeff Cross CF would have been gone a long time ago.

As that Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan says "the times they are a-changing.

I will miss Cleanfax. I think Jeff should bring back some of his Olefina and Berberina articles.

F

FB7777

Great story Bill, the industry really benefitted when you left Bane Clene

Can only imagine what a powerhouse BC would still be if you took the reigns and added an actual truckmount to their lineup

2016 Cleanfax Man of the Year

Big Billy Yeadon!

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I found it a little too slick for the shitter but it wasn't a bad read. I told jeff many times we needed neked gurls for center folds but he never listened to me.

I do believe that just might have saved the print magazine. :winky:

upload_2016-11-15_18-55-41.jpeg

Reactions: Desk Jockey

MR CLEAN

Name
MR CLEAN
Clean Fax was my gateway to correct technical information that was missing from the industry locally for me . I don't think I've ever paid for it except for the first season I got it back in the early 90s they just kept renewing it which I thought was really nice. And I would receive two or three copies at a time. Whatever happened to Joe polish? Jeff I have to thank you for one of the most exciting moments of my career in the first addition of My way. I received calls and emails from people all over the states after that was published . You should submit your resume to Burdick's cleaning I know the owner and I'll put in a good word for you

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
jack zerkie
A friend of mine from Columbus Ohio named Rick Stickel was named man of the year in about 1990 or around. that. Rick was a supplier in the Columbus area and handled white magic units and might be retired now a great guy with lots of knowledge and personality. jz.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I loved reading the different point counter point articles, chemistry articles.

With CSI the show and learning more and more about what we do.

I would always try to think logically about why things happen, the cause and effect.

Through the years we learned the different fibers types and how they react to different chemistry.

Before you know it you actually sound kinda smart and your customer trusts you.

Cleanfax has kept the learning curve for those of us who don't get re certified in a class room every year.

Thanks cleanfax

Last edited:

jawhit

Name
Joe
My ex-boss used to get Cleanfax, read it through and mark it with a highlighter, and then put it in a folder and pass it around to the techs. We had to read it then initial next to our name on the folder and pass it on to the next guy.

There's always been great stuff in there. Gonna miss it.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
My ex-boss used to get Cleanfax, read it through and mark it with a highlighter, and then put it in a folder and pass it around to the techs. We had to read it then initial next to our name on the folder and pass it on to the next guy.

There's always been great stuff in there. Gonna miss it.

I did the same thing!

p.s.

I always hoped people saw and read our advertisements too. We were a full page mainstay in the Marketplace section for years. (I was happy to know that some of that money went into Jeff's pocket) Maybe Mikey will get some more of our advertising budget now.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Think there is an opportunity here for someone to build a technical, education type of website like cleanfax was.

No not for 50 year veterans like marty but for the huge inflow of rookies and techs that enter every year. They need to learn the basics first, book version then can go to forums, groups for the practical.

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
I for one appreciate the fact that people understand that change is not a bad thing. The people at Cleanfax have been champions of the carpet cleaning industry for years, but they ran into a buzz saw called the internet and did not understand (like many people) how to embrace this change. Water, like people, will always take the path of least resistance. Owner Operators used Cleanfax for knowledge and then came MB and other forum resources. It's all about time and money; both of which apparently were an issue for Cleanfax. You must change - I will always remember them as I remember others that would not change... Netscape, Blockbuster, Kodak, Blackberry and more. Jeff - you have lots of friends that respect your knowledge, leverage them and keep in touch.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
As the fun was squeezed out of the magazine it it became to dry for even toilet material

I get it mike but thats also what people complain about the most also. Guys are looking to learn something or solve a specific problem and the thread turns into nose picking or something so they say WTF and leave. Time and place for everything....

Would be a great opportunity for someone to create a boring technical resource with links to forums/groups for discussion and bomb throwing.

Reactions: Onfire_02_01

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
They were on their last leg. They brought Jeff on, and he breathed life into a dead horse. He was able to buy them a few more years. Delayed the inevitable. It's a shame really. It was always, in my opinion, the best trade journal in our industry. ICS was good, but Cleanfax just was a better read. Will be missed!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I can understand why a large publisher decided to pull the plug on this goofy industry that champions people that will spend 40 hours saving $60 and the correspondingly tiny paper circulation that came from the group. Jeff has done a terrific job of keeping Cleanfax 'clean' and attempting the transition to an online presence (that actually looks good and works pretty well).

On the other hand...
As the fun was squeezed out of the magazine it it became to dry for even toilet material
...carpet cleaners are not typically buttoned down boardroom types, something that buttoned down publishers have a tough time understanding. I wonder if a leaner or more modern publisher would have understood the social aspect of a little irreverance and could have made a difference.

On the other hand... (just for Ofer)
I'll miss Cleanfax. Facts need to be checked before committing to print and mail. Actual reporting needs to happen.

On-line, everyone is a columnist.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Would be a great opportunity for someone to create a boring technical resource with links to forums/groups for discussion and bomb throwing.
John Downey publishes The Journal, a science based technical magazine for the IICRC. Great stuff! They're looking to shut it down as well.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
John Downey publishes The Journal, a science based technical magazine for the IICRC. Great stuff! They're looking to shut it down as well.

Have to try a lot harder than that nowadays. 1000 words is not going to work.
Has to be mobile friendly, lots of pictures, broken up paragraphs, videos.

Marketing is a total pain in the ass right now, it just is.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I always enjoyed CleanFax but I NEVER paid for it. It was always sent to me free.

I think the problem for all print advertising sources is that readers look at the ads but then go to the internet to investigate the product further and end up buying from the website. If the product owner isn't knowledgeable enough, or cares enough to REALLY find out where the buyer originally found out about the product then the print ads are screwed because it might seem it wasn't producing revenue.

If CleanFax readers had mentioned Cleanfax as the reason they were now buying I bet perhaps it would still be around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom