Engine Replacement Question

Name
I'm Rick James
I have a 23 HP Briggs that I am going to have to replace in the near future, I just want to locate one now and buy one, so I can avoid down time. I found one for $950 at a online company, is there any other place I could look or a supplier here. Just want to get the best deal I can, to save money since things are slow here. Thanks for your input. Also Can I swap out to a different engine or a 21 HP. 4005 blower, 290 cat pump.

Model

Type
0131-E1

Code

:mrgreen:

TimP

I'd get as big an engine as possible. If I could I'd make sure to get fuel injection on it. And if a kohler could be swaped I'd go for it as I hear they put out more heat.....hell it would be nice to make the switch to LP to run everything but that's probably more trouble than it's worth for you.

Name
I'm Rick James
Its a 23 HP now, just noticed that 21 HP are cheapier. I just want a good cheap engine (dont care what kind) to get me by until I get a new unit next year and just use this one as a back up or sell it. I do have a 3ht heater.

Thanks

:mrgreen:

Becker

Name
Becker
The Price seems good.

Be careful changing the engine with something other than what is in it now.

If you are using a heat exchanger, the exhaust may not fit the new engine, alignment could be an issue.

I'd hate to see you end up spending about $500, just to get a cheaper engine to work.

Able 1

Name
Keith
How many hours on your last? Was it liquid cooled? Just trying to be prepared...

Thanks,
Keith

Name
I'm Rick James
Not sure on the hours, it's air cooled. I took it into today to a small engine shop to make sure all is well and they say it might have internal issues. Loose something. It runs fine now, but since I have no history on it I feel comfortable with a new one to avoid any downtime with a blown engine. Everything else runs top notch.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I got a 24 HP honda at brandnewengines.com for $1300, included s/h and got here in about 5 days. They had some engines for less, but I wanted to keep the same shaft setup.

You could try smallenginewarehouse.com also.

Be sure to get the correct shaft diameter & height.

$950 is OK, but I wouldn't want a Briggs myself, I was thinking of using one but every engine shop I went to advised me to avoid a B&S for commercial apps.

G

Brent,you might check into rebuilding,it might be cheaper.As far as using the 21hp,as long as the shafts are the same diam. your OK,and the 23hp and the 21hp are probably the same block,just a different stroke,or fuel delivery.

Kevin

Becker

Name
Becker
Ask the small engine guy... or call around.

There is a small engine repair guy in the town of Snohomish.
Next to the car wash off the main street though town near pine.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Brent;

I can get you a good price on a 23 or 25HP Kohler, if you are comfortable with that upgrade.

From memory, I think the price is in the mid $1300's.

Larry

Name
I'm Rick James
Thanks Larry, but thats out of my budget. :cry: Thanks for the advise guys.

Don I am gonna check that place out tomorrow and maybe a few others. I took it to the lawnmower shop by Hydramaster and they werent confident IMO with what they were telling me, they work on smaller engines.

When I shut it off it still chugs a few seconds and it sounds like metal on metal banging, but it runs. They were saying it might be a loose arm or something to that effect. That if they fixed it, it could cost more than its worth. My brother is a certified mechanic and works on cars for a living, but not small engines, so I am gonna see tomorrow if he will help in some way.
If winter wasnt around the corner and had more clients I'd just buy a new TM and forget about it.

Thanks
Brent

Jay D

Name
Jay D
18, 21, 23hp briggs will push it fine, but I would get the 23 if you can. If you get the right shaft size and throttle linkage the 23 will bolt right up and you won't have to replace the exhaust manifold. It is the little things like a manifold that add cost to your repower project.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom