Engraved custom area rugs?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I want to try to make a few area rugs to give as Christmas gifts. I was searching the net for ideas and found this engraved area rug. Obviously, the image is projected on the cut pile carpet and then etched out. What kind of tool would be used to carve the carpet like this?

Stevea

Mike,

They are made with a carving tool. There is a lot more to it than simply carving it out but you have the right idea.

The type of carpet must be of a quality that will allow carving or you will lose the design very quickly.

Here is a photo of carving tools; one is an air carver the other electric. Hope this answers your question.
IMG_2227.jpg

If you need more help, please let me know.

Didn't I meet you in Kansas?

SA

Stevea

Charles,

Just send me all your money and I will purchase it and send it to you, whatever is left over I will be sure you get the change!

Actually, all I have done through the years is always take a % of the money I make and put it to the side for tools and so forth, works pretty good.

SA

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I took your carpet repair class a few weeks ago in Kansas City. Your tools are what I imagined would be used. They look like sheep sheering tools :) . I’m sure this is a fine art that takes time to learn. I like the idea of making the carpet 3 dimensional. This would be useful for beveling the edge of a higher cut inlay. I will message you with detailed questions in a week or two.

Stevea

Mike,

Good to see you in here. I will be glad to help where I am able to, just PM me when you need anything.

These are good for giving depth and dimension to an inlay and beveling. I also have a beveling piece of equipment that can be automatically set to bevel edges at whatever angle one may want it to be, this takes a lot of the guess work out of the hand beveling on edges when you have long runs to bevel.

Another thing that gives great dimension and contrast is to relief different parts of a carpet, which will make it appear to be higher or lower, closer or farther away.

I will be excited to see your creations you will be making.

Take care,
SA

Stevea

Thanks Charles,

Larry if you need something by way of tools, that is partly what I do, provide them. If you want to let me know what you want I will try to get it for you and try to help you not purchase something that will not work or that may not fit what you want to do.

Let me know if I can help

SA

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
There are several outlets for obtaining carving and other rug making tools, but you won't get the personal help you'd get from Steve. If you're going to get started doing carving, I'd recommend you also purchase a clear plastic shear holder that will keep the shear at a pre-set level and angle and allow you to see your marks. Or, plan on doing a lot of practice to make sure you have a steady enough hand to carve free-hand before working on anything expensive.

If you're thinking of getting into carpet carving for more than personal use, I'd suggest you still start with the smallest, easiest to use shear (not the cheapest) and only add tools as new jobs require. The deep cut-pile carpet and carved insets went out of style in the 80s, and although extremely cool effects can be made by carving it won't be something you'll be asked to do very often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom