enlighten me.....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
been thinking about what was said in another thread about high end cleaners only doing 1....maybe 2 jobs a day....and other cleaners doing 3 maybe 5 a day.......

what would be the pro's and con's of both situations..............

C

CleaningLA

Work smarter not harder id rather do the two a day if I could make more then I would doing the 5-6 a day.
But doing 5-6 a day dose give you more of a chance to upswell to alot more.
I'm sure there's a lot more

John Watson

James, 1 -2 jobs per day lets you not hurt as much the next day, When me and my Helen were still doing it..... Our clients often commented how they enjoyed the not rushed feeling we had about our work. On the onset we would let them know they had our undevided attention and if they needed anything else done we could usualydo it today also, Many times this brought in more work in extra areas not scheduled and upholstery.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
CleaningLA said:
Work smarter not harder id rather do the two a day if I could make more then I would doing the 5-6 a day.
But doing 5-6 a day dose give you more of a chance to upswell to alot more.
I'm sure there's a lot more

I understand the smarter not harder thing...but what is the advantages ...or disadvantages long term.....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
John Watson said:
James, 1 -2 jobs per day lets you not hurt as much the next day, When me and my Helen were still doing it..... Our clients often commented how they enjoyed the not rushed feeling we had about our work. On the onset we would let them know they had our undevided attention and if they needed anything else done we could usualydo it today also, Many times this brought in more work in extra areas not scheduled and upholstery.

are these any jobs...or just high end jobs you are speaking of......

Name
I'm Rick James
When things start going south with the economy, the high priced cleaners are usually the first to go. I am trying to be that high priced cleaner that does 3 jobs a day.. and will adjust if things start going south, you just have to pay close attention to things.

I think rushing through a job because you do 4-5 a day looks bad to the customers even if you did a great job.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Being a high priced cleaner has it's advantages but I think the biggest disadvantage is you have a much smaller pool to market to, thus I can see that as limiting growth if you wanted to expand beyond one or two trucks. There are plenty of clients that do take care of and take pride in their homes for value added companies. Not every value customer trashes their carpet and expects a resurrection when you arrive. Besides I'm just more comfortable working for the value folks, and not ashamed to say it.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
When things start going south with the economy, the high priced cleaners are usually the first to go.
Completely disagree, the people with money still have it to spend. Your market should be those that don't ask price . they want quality and understand that comes at a price.

gene

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Seems any more most of my jobs are most of a house or whole houses.

A couple of those a day is $800 or so, Enough for me.

When I started many moons a go, I did 5 or more and day for years.

But, Most were one or two rooms and a hall.

At the end of the day it's the same money.

One way just ends up working 1/3rd more hours.

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
A real earner/ business man will take every job that comes in. Highest end and lowest end. End of story. You may think you are a high end cleaner all you are is a janitor in the rich guys house for 2 hours. Take their money and deposit it. When you are working for low end customers all you are is a janitor in their home as well take thier money and deposit it. Let me tell you 95% of customers veiw us in this way.

The truth will set you free

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
GeneMiller said:
When things start going south with the economy, the high priced cleaners are usually the first to go.
Completely disagree, the people with money still have it to spend. Your market should be those that don't ask price . they want quality and understand that comes at a price.
gene

I guess it depends on how wealthy the clients are.

Gene is absolutely right, the well to do ones are pretty much insulated from where ever the economy is.

John Watson

James, Most was high end, we had a few landlords that we did work exclusive for and at that time all repairs or stretches needed were preformed as well as deodorizing.

Maybe trying to segragate your jobs during scheduling 5-8 mts one day and 2 higher end clients the next..

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Jim Martin said:
been thinking about what was said in another thread about high end cleaners only doing 1....maybe 2 jobs a day....and other cleaners doing 3 maybe 5 a day.......

Little food for thought...

The only thing keeping you from being a high-end pricer...is You..!
Everything about your companies image SCREAMS high-end..
Your prices just don't reflect it.

You function in a mental state of DENIAL. It is obvious you will never get off the truck.
The sad thing is ... someday they will have to get the truck off YOU. "I was the same
person." When I was forced off the truck.."bad back" It was the BEST thing that ever happened to my company.

YOU do what you want to DO...because you still physically can..! What happens to
your BIZ tomorrow..... "If you are PERMANTLY disabled..????" You are one of the sharpest tacks...on this board..! BUT...you need to prepare for the inevitable..! YOU CANT HUMP THAT
WAND FOREVER..!

NOW...back to your question :pROS:

1. Less stress on equipment & labor "drive times & set-up time"
2. Better clients & referrals.
3. Easier cleaning jobs....most have a housekeeper.
4. Client's are understanding if you need more money to achieve a quality job.
5. They will clean more frequently.
6. Fewer cancellations...and they will pay for the TRUST factor...customer loyalty.

:CONS:

Why in the world would you want to do 5 jobs ....When you can achieve the same profit
as performing 2...?

ps. I can't IMAGINE you are looking to become a multi-truck operation...? If so 3 to 5 jobs
a day...MAY give you more exposure..? "But it is more profitable to add an additional laborer
to handle any over flow." Your customer retention is high...Why not retain a HIGH end cleint ?

oh ya..i forgot... LIKE! no won ton soup for you! eat yor heart out Werner yes, I really clean up pet shit for a living Dad.. -sniff :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: oh my... I've seen Jimmy naked good lord Vawter, just die already. KMA! eat shit!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I agree with Harp
I'll add two things:
1) Having more clients will spread the risk of losing some. Though if you serve the high end clientele, you are less likely to lose them because of the economy.

2) Quality service to high end clients will be much harder to replicate for a multi van operation. Harder, not impossible.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
FOOD FOR THOUGHT...!

"There has NEVER been a high-end cleaner...that prices by the ROOM... KMA! "

Hello..."How much to clean my LDH...?"
Well Mrs.Smith..."That will be $350.00...!!!!" "CLICK".... :lol:

High end pricing MUST be done @ square footage pricing...! PERIOD

If you quote room pricing over the phone..."YOU ARE IN A BOX"
If the cleint does not want a FIRM estimate..."THEY ARE NOT A HIGH-END CLIENT"... :idea:
If you are too LAZY to do the estimate...? Continue being a JANITOR... -sniff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
HARPER said:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT...!
If the cleint does not want a FIRM estimate..."THEY ARE NOT A HIGH-END CLIENT"... :idea:

Been giving phone approximation for years. Never been a problem.
Are they accepting applications to janitorial school? eat yor heart out Werner

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ofer Kolton said:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT...!

Been giving phone approximation for years. Never been a problem.
Are they accepting applications to janitorial school? eat yor heart out Werner

Do you consider yourself a high-end cleaner...as far as PRICE goes.. :?:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
uhhhh i would disagree with 5.....

because i would THINK (and it goes with your house cleaner thought) they are CLEANER...and thus....why the need to clean MORE....more so the WHOLE house when no one has stayed in those extra rooms..or been in that fancy living room.....

We have out here in my general area...roughly 250-700K houses.....pretty wide spread, but nicer never the less....most are less then 10 yrs old....I am getting ready to get them....but my kids have some friends in these areas... So when i go to pick them up i see inside the houses....for the most part CLEAN CARPET....and as we all know....more and more NON CARPETED AREAS...

so we will see what happens this year...because i am trying something new and we will see if it works

joe harper

Name
joe harper
We find that the higher end cleints...prefer a maintaince plan...!

They like to schedule there cleanings at 6mth & 3 mth...intervals.. :idea:

We offer a discount of 10% on 6 mth cleanings & 20% on 3 mth cleanings... :idea:
Most everyone here has animals & kids...!
Here in Fl. people are in & out of there houses much more frequently.."tracked-in-soils"

ps..I wish they would ripp all the carpet out...Wood floors & Tile require more frequent cleanings in our area.. LIKE! Most women are more likely to vac & spot clean carpet...
rather than clean their hard surfaces...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
HARPER said:
Do you consider yourself a high-end cleaner...as far as PRICE goes.. :?:

What do you think big Papa?

Well...
Today I was cleaning on the 25th floor- That's pretty high.
And the job, eventually, did come to an end.

So, yes! Indeed!
I guess I am a high end cleaner eat yor heart out Werner

joe harper

Name
joe harper
I dont know...?

I do KNOW that you have been doing IT 23 years... :lol:
So...you obviously know what you are doing.... :idea:

Hopefully everyone knows what their market will bare.. :!:

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
How can you be a "High End" cleaner if you leave a large chunk of time out of every day. My customers have every opportunity to order as much work as they want when they call me. If they want more done when I get there, I'll do it. If I don't have the time, I tell them so and they can schedule another appointment to do what wasn't done. I work generally 9-10 hours a day, every day this time of year. I don't really consider myself a high end cleaner only because of what other cleaners "Claim" they charge per sq.ft., although my wife and I knocked out a lake house today that doubled when we walked in the door, we got it done and made 275.00 per hour. 3 hours for 830.00 and that was about 5/8 ths of our total take, with an estimate and a rug pickup also.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Doug Cox said:
we got it done and made 275.00 per hour. 3 hours for 830.00 and that was about 5/8 ths of our total take, with an estimate and a rug pickup also.
Hate to burst your bubble Dougs!
3x275= $825.00
What!
Only $5.00 tip? eat yor heart out Werner
And you call yourself hi end KMA!

Nice to see you back, Joe.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jim, i don't know nuthin about the hundreds a rm hi-rollers .
i haven't a clue how Billy (or anyone else) can get $85 bukz for a walk-in closet

one thing I do know, doing less stops a day for mo-money means less set ups and tear downs .
That's less wear and tear on you...cause I strongly suspect you won't allow yourself off the truck til your back/neck forces you off .
So why not dangle your toes in the Big Baller pricing pool to test the water??

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
HARPER said:
Jim Martin said:

Little food for thought...

The only thing keeping you from being a high-end pricer...is You..!
Everything about your companies image SCREAMS high-end..
Your prices just don't reflect it.

You function in a mental state of DENIAL. It is obvious you will never get off the truck.
The sad thing is ... someday they will have to get the truck off YOU. "I was the same
person." When I was forced off the truck.."bad back" It was the BEST thing that ever happened to my company.

YOU do what you want to DO...because you still physically can..! What happens to
your BIZ tomorrow..... "If you are PERMANTLY disabled..????" You are one of the sharpest tacks...on this board..! BUT...you need to prepare for the inevitable..! YOU CANT HUMP THAT
WAND FOREVER..!

NOW...back to your question :pROS:

1. Less stress on equipment & labor "drive times & set-up time"
2. Better clients & referrals.
3. Easier cleaning jobs....most have a housekeeper.
4. Client's are understanding if you need more money to achieve a quality job.
5. They will clean more frequently.
6. Fewer cancellations...and they will pay for the TRUST factor...customer loyalty.

:CONS:

Why in the world would you want to do 5 jobs ....When you can achieve the same profit
as performing 2...?

ps. I can't IMAGINE you are looking to become a multi-truck operation...? If so 3 to 5 jobs
a day...MAY give you more exposure..? "But it is more profitable to add an additional laborer
to handle any over flow." Your customer retention is high...Why not retain a HIGH end cleint ?

oh ya..i forgot... LIKE! no won ton soup for you! eat yor heart out Werner yes, I really clean up pet shit for a living Dad.. -sniff :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: oh my... I've seen Jimmy naked good lord Vawter, just die already. KMA! eat shit!

I do both high end and the mid range ( we will call it )....I don't limit myself..but...I am not going to take a job that I am not going to make money on...and I don't understand the statement about my pricing...I have never told anyone what I make since I have been on the boards...you assuming my pricing structure is low...because....I area price.....??

so what about long term...what happens when it comes time to sell or get out of this gig.....

Back
Top Bottom