epoxy grout color sealant

Spurling

anyone used epoxy color sealant? what are your thoughts vs regular color sealant? groutdye.com states color sealant would last 8-15yrs depending on maintenence. Im looking for pros and cons .. thanks

SJA

I am not familiar with that particular brand - but I know that epoxy based products are harder to work with. Even when installing grout, most installers do not want to work with epoxy. In my opinion, it is a sales gimmick whenever someone puts a time frame on how long a product of this nature will last. Ask them the specifics of the guarantee. If you get a call back what are they going to do for you???

Following find some of the factors that will determine how long a product lasts.

* The height of the grout is a major factor - if the grout lines are very wide a even with the tile there is no way it will last as long as if the grout is recessed.
* High traffic vs. Low Traffic
* How is the floor maintaned
* Products used for maint
* Floor prep
* Pre-existing conditions - Has the area ever been sealed, waxed, etc

Therefore, it is impossible to state that a product will last a certain amount of time without considering all factors. My guess is that this product is geared for the DIY's rather than contractors. Anyone that deals with homeowners knows that you CAN NOT put time frames on things. After you clean/protect carpet - How long will it last??? I am assuming it boils down to traffic and maintenance.

When considering a ColorSeal manufacturer - I would look for the following.

* Tech Support
* Does the product leave the floor looking natural or painted
* Application process
* How quickley can jobs be completed
* Color range
* Who will help grow your business

Hopefully this helps

Good Luck

Tile Nerd

Epoxy color sealants give a very strong mechanical bond. Acrylics like This Old Grout (TOG) give a stronger overal bond because it bonds both chemically and mechanically. What does this mean? Epoxy's bond only to the surface (which allows radical color changes in one coat), acrylics impregnate giving subsurface & mechanical (surface) bond. Acrylics do give a strong mechanical bond, but it's not as strong as the epoxy. In summary, acrylics are better for sanded grout and epoxy's are better for non-sanded grout.

Acrylics are also easier to work with IMHO, and definitely leave the grout looking far more natural then the expoxys because of the way they bond.

SJA

I agree with Wayne, except for his comments regarding coverage. Our product is also an acrylic and the coverage is as good or better than any epoxy that I have experimented with on both sanded and unsanded grout.

Tile Nerd

What do you mean by coverage? I've seen several posts from GP users saying that extreme color changes require 2 coats. As far as bonding to non-sanded grout goes, epoxy's bond immediately whereas acrylics need to somewhat dry on the surface then be scrubbed off of the tile. Again, I've read this from GP users also. Seems to match what my experience is with TOG.

Epoxy's definitely give a better mechanical bond then acrylics. I never said acrylic won't give a good mechanical bond, I just said the epoxy's give a stronger mechanical bond.

Do you have some test data to show us Steve? I sell TOG which is acrylic so I have nothing to gain by saying epoxy's give stronger mechanical bonds. New non-sanded grout is easier to color seal then old non-sanded grout. As it ages it hardens becoming less porous. That's why I think epoxy's are better for non-sanded grout.

BTW, your better off regrouting non-sanded shower grout then color sealing IMHO. It costs about the same but you don't have to worry about failures in a couple of years. Teach them good maintenance and it will far out last the color seal in a shower.

SJA

Wayne, I apologize if I misunderstood you. To me your comment implied that ALL epoxy ColorSeals cover better than ALL acrylics. I disagree with that portion of your statement. Our product is an acrylic and performs as well or better than all the epoxy based products that we have tried. BTW I have not found a ColorSeal that is a true epoxy. A true epoxy consists of two parts ( resin & hardener ) - once mixed there is a very short pot life and needs to be used quickley.

Regarding your comments on showers. We normally advise people not to get involved with showers unless they have a complete understanding of how a shower is built - especially the pan. If the install was not done correctly the shower will always have issues - regardless of how it is maintained, products used, regrouted, or ColorSealed. Nothing will solve the problem. Oftentimes people want structural problems corrected with a regrout, caulk, CS, cleaners, etc.... We like to identify this upfront and inform the customer so that future visits are not call backs.

Tile Nerd

No worries Steve, it's not the first time I've been misunderstood. TOG and GP both cover well. My only point was that epoxy's only bond to the surface, like paint, so that tend to do better on drastic color changes but they don't look as natural. Also because it's a mechanical surface bond, it "sticks" better to low porous surfaces like non-sanded grout.

Back
Top Bottom