Film-formers vs. crystallizing polymers

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by Goomer, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Goomer
    Goomer

Name:
    Frank Mendo
    Would it be true that as the soil load in a carpet increases, the LESS that "film-forming" characteristics would be desirable?

A higher film-forming product sounds like it might be used best if applied to clean carpet as a soil-resisting product, possibly even by a post application, but if ground into dirty carpet, the film that it is forming has been contaminated.

They are no longer pretty benign crystals as in the petri dishes images of manufacturer literature, but now polymers infused with filth.

Would a product with strong film-forming characteristics be best under heavy soil-load, especially when frequent post-vacuuming is an important part of the process?
  2. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    Let me explain this whole " ENCAPSULATION EXTREMISM" in simple terms that ya'll can understand.

They make a DRY SHAMPOO to spray on your hair and it's supposed to just brush out. Do you really think it's going to be clean? Isn't it better to WASH N' RINSE your hair? Which is going to be cleaner?
  3. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    If you're not going to use the butt wiping analogy, just please stfu.
    rick imby likes this.
  4. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    I have no hair on my ass idiot!

Years of wiping has done away with it!
    Mikey P likes this.
  5. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    And waxing.
  6. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    I have your phone number and will send you a pic asshole!
    Mark Saiger likes this.
  7. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Hopefully not just before supper
    Jimmy L likes this.
  8. Larry Cobb
    Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
    Larry Cobb
    This is a good question about "film formers". I have an carpet fiber, encap (arrows), & dirt illustration:
    Encap.jpg The "encap' polymer has an affinity for the fiber.
    Encap tries to wedge itself under the dirt particle (crosshatch). It does not displace all the soil particles, but it does make them more likely to be broken free of the carpet fiber. Agitation will break many of them loose from the fiber. This is how even soiled carpet is cleaned by a "film former"
    Old Coastie likes this.
  9. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    If viewed under a microscope as the polymer dries on the twisted "DNA" like carpet fiber it migrates to the top.
    And if you look closely at the top of the fiber there will be a dew drop of polymer sitting there. And if there were visual terms to use it would resemble the head of a penis. So in effect if it were a "Film former" it will bond to the top and be difficult to release. But if it were a "Crystal" type it would easily break away with the sudden jerk of a vacuum cleaner and it's revolving brush head. And at that moment there is extreme pleasure and joy knowing it releases from the fiber.
    rick imby likes this.
  10. Larry Cobb
    Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
    Larry Cobb
    "Film formers" coat the fiber . . .

to keep soil from attaching to the fiber.
  11. encapman
    encapman

Name:
    Rick Gelinas
    Larry,
    I appreciate the benefit of utilizing a fluoro-chemical, that's why we included it along with the Crystalon3 polymer in Releasit. But I'm puzzled about how a "film former" alone can capture/contain soil. I'm not understanding how soil can be extracted during post-vacuuming, if there isn't an actual soil-holding component in the formula. How will the soil make the jump from the carpet to the vacuum cleaner without a soil carrying vehicle? It's obviously not going to just magically hover in the air because a "film-former" was introduced LOL. So I'm sure I must be missing something. Please help me understand how soil removal can be accomplished without a polymer. Thanks
    ShortyDownUnder likes this.
  12. ShortyDownUnder
    ShortyDownUnder

Name:
    K.O. (Shorty) Glanville
    I'm also confused & would like to understand this "film former" analogy better.

Note to Jimmy: I have no problem using an encapsulation product to remove soil. I don't do crappy joints. :winky: :lol: :icon_twisted: :stir::arrrr:

:yoda:
  13. Larry Cobb
    Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
    Larry Cobb
    Fluorochemical protectors are film formers.

They keep soil from attaching to the fiber or surface.

That allows removal with routine vacuuming . . .

or makes it easier with the next cleaning.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  14. encapman
    encapman

Name:
    Rick Gelinas
    I'm still not quite understanding how that alone would enable soil recovery. :icon_question:
  15. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    So... is it "abra-ca-dabra" or "shabam-boom-bam"?
    rick imby likes this.
  16. Scott S.
    Scott S.

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott
    Im more concerned of these factors:
    1. Does it better the appearance
    2. Does it leave enough product behind to make say an entrace on and off tile to carpet a slip hazard on rainy days where moisture gets tracked onto carpet.
    3. Is the polymer
    A. Easily removed with hwe
    B. Easily re-dissolved with additional encap application upon the next cleaning? (Or will it build up).
  17. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Rick you of all people should know that the belief in some out there principles is a whole lot easier if you just don't ask too many questions...:winky:
    ShortyDownUnder likes this.
  18. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    "RESIST"
  19. rick imby
    rick imby

Name:
    Rick
    OK Cobb and Rick @encapman ---We all know the dirt does not get encapsulated and then vacuumed away. It gets encapsulated and drops to the backing in the carpet.--

The chems and the agitation break the bond the dirt has with the carpet fiber. AND the carpet looks much better. Some residual chems are stuck to the fiber and make it harder for dirt to attach to the fiber (and drop down).

If you take a bunch of dry dirt and spread it over the carpet. Then run a vacuum over the carpet without any suction, a completely full bag (like 40% of the houses you go into with bags). The dirt will fall to the bottom of the carpet and look much better without any dirt removal.

The regular vacuuming does a better job of opening up the carpet to let the dirt fall to the bottom than actually sucking dirt up.---But it looks better.

Most vacuums have so little suction but the best have lots of agitation to open the carpet and let the dirt fall.

In the same house if you compare the dirt removed from a hardwood floor to the dirt removed from a carpet you will find the carpet just does a really good job of getting the dirt down into the carpet where no vacuum or HWE will get it out.

What are the best encap machines? They have the best AGITATION---
    Jimmy L likes this.
  20. Larry Cobb
    Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
    Larry Cobb