First ever viral cleaning video. The Gary Hite story

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
The video was amazing.

Unless you want to get in to viral video production I think it has a minimal impact for on O/O or local company, although I'm sure it gave him some short term momentum he can build on.

Mikey P

Administrator
It is a cool video but its also nothing special other than the fact that the grout looks so evenly black after they got it wet.

He should find some filthy Travertine for his next one.

As far as franchising and selling chems.. Good luck with that.

The lead generation sounds plausible for the next few weeks until the Unicorn shows up.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
It is a cool video but its also nothing special
It's obviously special and I think it is because he did a great job with the edit and shot selection. The video moves fast then slow, then cuts away to the big Prochem Everest, then the shot is take from the top of the spinner, then from the floor, the cool fly around of the van and then following the hoses back to the Technician... music was perfect... no this video is special and hopefully we all learn a something from this one.
Franchise and charging people in the Industry to have their products in his videos... overly excited I would say.

Mikey P

Administrator
Not one person who is not a tile cleaner, needed to see that long drawn out shot of the truckmount. Time would have been better spent showing a (better dressed) employee wiping down base boards and or applying sealer.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Time would have been better spent showing a (better dressed) employee wiping down base boards and or applying sealer.
Oh brother... OK . It's their uniform Mike... Camo shorts and Dirt Army t shirt. The truck mount fly by was dramatic and he wanted people to see his brand new machine... it's on their Facebook page and website OUR NEW $100,000 dollar cleaning unit! I know I don't want to see some guy on his knees wiping down baseboards. Its about how the video make you feel for the Millennials .

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Its a good vid....but....

the reality is the views are driven by a massive out of area audience (reddit) .... a phenomenon itself.....viewed with a specific connotation /r/oddlysatisfying

good for the industry I guess for people to know what can be done .........and I hope the guy get a bit of work off of it

but its fleeting and difficult to replicate

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
So buy a franchise, I don't care.
I would buy a Connoisseur Franchise Mike! I would get something for my money and I would have learned tons from you my friend...
But I've watched every video by a carpet cleaner on youtube and they are all the same- one long shot of a guy cleaning a floor or carpet. It's the Millennial, short attention span editing that I think we could learn from.

Reactions: smastio

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
the proof will be in the results of activity level, calls, bookings, brand tracking, etc. If I'm this guy, I'm sitting back thinking "Well, I guess I got more people talking about it here".; and that's good - right?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Not one person who is not a tile cleaner, needed to see that long drawn out shot of the truckmount. Time would have been better spent showing a (better dressed) employee wiping down base boards and or applying sealer.
Its a good vid....but....

the reality is the views are driven by a massive out of area audience (reddit) .... a phenomenon itself.....viewed with a specific connotation /r/oddlysatisfying

good for the industry I guess for people to know what can be done .........and I hope the guy get a bit of work off of it

but its fleeting and difficult to replicate
As far as being better dressed: His business name is Dirt Army. The camouflage clothes is his uniform. And as for wiping down the baseboards and sealer, none of the people watching the video cared whether he did that or not. The people were so surprised that the grout was turning from black to white.

And as for the massive area of audience being only in reddit...wrong. My customers were messaging me, asking if this is real cleaning or some sort of video animation to make the grout color change like that. So it went from Reddit all the way to Georgia. I call that a successful viral video

FredC

Village Idiot
you do realize reddit is a huge thing right....and even exist in Georgia?

That he doesn't live in GA?

That he isn't the first case of somebody thinking they hit the lottery cause the reddit effect, slashdot, or 4chins pushed their site/product/service to the point of "viral".

I didn't say it wasn't viral...or even that it wasn't good for the industry...............just that the odds of it being parlayed into anything other than a short term burst of activity are slim.

"The Dirt Army’s video landed on the first page of Reddit and completely blew Gary’s initial expectations out of the water."

Reactions: jkowalski

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
you do realize reddit is a huge thing right....and even exist in Georgia?

That he doesn't live in GA?

That he isn't the first case of somebody thinking they hit the lottery cause the reddit effect, slashdot, or 4chins pushed their site/product/service to the point of "viral".

I didn't say it wasn't viral...or even that it wasn't good for the industry...............just that the odds of it being parlayed into anything other than a short term burst of activity are slim.

"The Dirt Army’s video landed on the first page of Reddit and completely blew Gary’s initial expectations out of the water."
My dumb ass thought Reddit was a city. I thought you meant that it was just in Reddit, Ca. haha

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Well, I'll say this. That damn video got me two tile jobs here in Redding, Ca.. I couldn't believe it. I got FB messages from people with links to that video asking me if I did the same process. I was totally amazed. Thanks Gary! Maybe I'll make a video of myself playing my Banjo to help you out.
damon banjo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom