First VCT Strip and Seal – Any advice appreciated!

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Best advice...Don't Do It...ever

The absolute worst thing that ever happened to me doing VCT was using too weak of a stripper, a less aggressive pad, and keeping the floor wet for too long. We popped tiles all over the place!

I don't know how large the area you are doing is, or what equipment you have, but don't start off with a large area, do maybe a 200 sf section at a time.

Mask off adjacent walls, floors, baseboards,and doors if you don't want to spend your night cleaning up slop.

Allow plenty of time between coats to dry, don't get impatient. Use some fans to help dry.

Don't let your floor finish drip, puddle, or pool, especially if you don't have a burnisher.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
VCT is the (physically) most demanding service we offer. The Touch ID on my phone won't work because the pads of my fingers, one bled, have been worn down from the scrubfest we threw down on Sunday. Mel and I for 13 hours each that day.

I never get excited about a challenge like this but maybe I should. It was a LARGE Ag Equipment showroom with 4 bathrooms and a kitchen. Not to mention the cubicles and carpet being cleaned. The lions share of the bill was VCT. It was neglected and in poor shape. I literally lose sleep over things like this. I bid the job HIGH because I didn't want the VCT portion. I bid enough to make it worth the effort (and time) I KNEW it would take. They even wanted the baseboards done and they were BAD. New management seems much more committed to maintenance.

They went for the bid and the floor popped!!!!!! Management was thrilled. I ordered a real wet vac from Clean Freak because I can't wrestle with my Shop Vac anymore.

I'm convinced that the right tool for the job is SO important but especially with VCT. Follow instructions to a T with the stripper. Rinse as you go.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
My first cleaning work I did when I turned 13 was:

Cleaning the perchlorethylene filters out in our dry cleaning plant

Cleaning toilets in our janitorial accounts

Stripping and waxing floors (with another person, to be clear...13 isn't the best age to run a 175 swing machine)

I liked the solvent filters and toilet cleaning better....

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I got away from chemical stripping, it will slowly but surely cause liver damage.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Strip and wax ain't nothin but a thang to get paid for.

I am fortunate enough to like it, as it reminds me of my younger days.

I still don't get tired until all finished is applied and all furniture is back in place. Can go 30 hours straight doing a floor and won't drop tired until it is done.

Anyone that needs a 15 or so hour lesson on how to strip floors, let me know. As we have a few 10k plus jobs coming up here in a couple of weeks.

my main advise is to make sure you are charging for the work and effort you are doing. I don't even go look at a smaller floor that customers don't want to pay at least .50 a SQft because then I too, would hate doing. That said some smaller areas need to be charged at 1.00 a square or higher.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
my main advise is to make sure you are charging for the work and effort you are doing. I don't even go look at a smaller floor that customers don't want to pay at least .50 a SQft because then I too, would hate doing. That said some smaller areas need to be charged at 1.00 a square or higher.

Good...no..GREAT...advice Michael.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I was able to fetch $1.25/ft and we earned every penny.

I finished with the carpet (Cimex) and cubicles (mostly stair tool, some uph tool) last night and admired the work we did on that tired floor!

Michael, I'll come down some time. I'd love to see you guys bang out a $10K job. I'm still getting better with it but understand the value of being great at VCT.

Reactions: Ray Burnfield
J

JS41035

Some of my best memories are waiting for wax to dry. Me and my brothers having coffee at a 24 hour Hardees. Then later as a newlywed my wife and I did a few jobs.
But when the wax drys and the dust settles, you really appreciate carpet cleaning. Even cheap cheap commercial always worked out to be more profitable.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
The more VCT you do the better you'll get at it and the easier it becomes.
You can make some good $$$$$ doing it.
Just remember to bring a deck of cards when you're watching the FINISH dry.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The more VCT you do the better you'll get at it and the easier it becomes.
You can make some good $$$$$ doing it.
Just remember to bring a deck of cards when you're watching the FINISH dry.
Its so messy, takes so long. Even at $1.50 I'm not always thrilled to schedule it. :icon_neutral:
When we are slow I love it. When we are busy I'd love to pass but as Russ stated these accounts want "one call does it all".

Name
Ross Martin
Stopped in at a local supplier. Got what I needed and an EDUCATION.

I have been dodging this type of work long enough. This was part of a larger job, so I had to agree to do it.

Gonna take some pics and see what I get.

Wish me luck!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When the stripper slurry is wet, it will wipe right off the equipment.
Don't wear your Sunday best to do floor work
I just don't have the patience for that type of work.

Its slow, you move slow. You watch it dry, you buff slow, you apply wax slow and watch it dry, then repeat over and over....and over!
Y'all gonna make me lose my mind...up in here up in here! :winky:

I think fast, I move fast, I am fast.

I just can't take the slow pace of VCT.
Please just shoot ME! :biggrin:

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I just don't have the patience for that type of work.

Its slow, you move slow. You watch it dry, you buff slow, you apply wax slow and watch it dry, then repeat over and over....and over!
Y'all gonna make me lose my mind...up in here up in here! :winky:

I think fast, I move fast, I am fast.

I just can't take the slow pace of VCT.
Please just shoot ME! :biggrin:
Got it.
It's not for everyone
Especially softies

Name
Lee Stockwell
I started with VCT as my primary, lots of grocery, department stores, and such in the late 60s and early 70s.

Due to some trends in the industry, I can't in good conscience recommend that market in most cases.

Reactions: Ray Burnfield

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I started with VCT as my primary, lots of grocery, department stores, and such in the late 60s and early 70s.

Due to some trends in the industry, I can't in good conscience recommend that market in most cases.
These guys don't know the pleasure of being LOCKED in the store until they let you out the next morning.
Those were the good old days.
Oh what fun

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom