First VCT Strip and Seal – Any advice appreciated!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$1.50 as a low, $2.00 as high and I still hate hate hate it. Just too damn messy!

I'd much rather watch paint dry or grass grow than floor finish.

Why is it the slurry dries so fast but the wax dries so slow? :errf:

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Not when that shitty floor pukes all over all my equipment. Hoses, mops, buckets, shoes, pants. I hate hate HATE floors. :angry:

I really don't like them at all. :biggrin:
$1.50 as a low, $2.00 as high and I still hate hate hate it. Just too damn messy!

I'd much rather watch paint dry or grass grow than floor finish.

Why is it the slurry dries so fast but the wax dries so slow? :errf:
Hey Richard!
Tell us how you feel about doing VCT

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Ross Martin
Thanks everyone for your help.

Did the job and learned a few things. First few rooms were very slow as me and my helper were both waiting on each other as we went step by step. After a while I was able to work in front of him and things went quicker.

A lot of these rooms were really no bigger than a walk in closet. I choose to use a 13 inch machine because of this. Good choice for the smaller rooms, but in the bigger rooms cost a lot of time. I think not only because the machine is smaller, but less weight.

First few rooms used not enough stripper. After "flooding" the floors with stripper, went much better.

In the end, was able to be a complete service provider, VCT, Carpet, Tile and Grout line, Upholstery Cleaning.

Before:
VCT_01_zpsnxysjirc.jpg

After:

VCT_02_zpspeb1boyo.jpg

VCT_03_zpsori5jxey.jpg

VCT_04_zpsoqthlgxw.jpg

Tile and Grout Lines were a little dirty.

Tile_Before_zpsrkmprp0x.jpg

Tile_During_zpshz7alrb9.jpg

Tile_XAfter_zpslvwha9ea.jpg

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
we do more and more every year i think a lot of mom and pops give it up
but ya need the right equipment to be productive
lookin at a gym floor at a church today for next week prob 2500 bucks 2 days easy money guys.
i bet i have 20 grand in equipment now but it makes it so much easier

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I bought 4-scrubbers and two burnishers and a shit load of other stuff a couple of years ago because we thought we wanted to do more VCT. Most of it sits collecting dust.

We do a couple a month but I'm never thrilled about it. It is hard, dirty work which is basically all we do but the other services we provide pay better per hour.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I bought 4-scrubbers and two burnishers and a shit load of other stuff a couple of years ago because we thought we wanted to do more VCT. Most of it sits collecting dust.

We do a couple a month but I'm never thrilled about it. It is hard, dirty work which is basically all we do but the other services we provide pay better per hour.
We got it already!
Please quit bitching about it.
No one forces you to do it:stir:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i wish you would have told me it was sheet vinyl you were going to strip. as i would have saved you some more time and effort if id have known.

with baddass stripper like diversey prostrip or bare bones by ncl or even nice smelling but still strong emulsifier plus by spartan chemical would have cut your effort down alot as the stripper would literally would have ate most of the finish off just mopping the floor back and forth with stripper solution.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
i wish you would have told me it was sheet vinyl you were going to strip. as i would have saved you some more time and effort if id have known.

with baddass stripper like diversey prostrip or bare bones by ncl or even nice smelling but still strong emulsifier plus by spartan chemical would have cut your effort down alot as the stripper would literally would have ate most of the finish off just mopping the floor back and forth with stripper solution.
Sheet vinyl or linoleum can be damaged with a stripper that is too hot.
I'm not talking about the hot strippers in the clubs Richard. Just so you know:confusedd:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Sheet vinyl or linoleum can be damaged with a stripper that is too hot.
I'm not talking about the hot strippers in the clubs Richard. Just so you know:confusedd:

If the seams are good, you shouldn't have a problem. We have only had a problem when there was preexisting damage to the seams or water damage and the seams or corners were lifted or damaged, and at the point any moisture is going to cause secondary damage.

We like a better formulated faster emulsifying stripper as the floor doesn't have to be flooded for so long, I very much dislike dwell time while doing vct.

We throw stripper with a 55 gallon trash can fitted with a dump valve and spread the stripper around with a mop. By the time you get from one side of the area and back with the mop it is ready for agitation by 2 or axis then recovery, and as many rinses until water comes clear.

Speed dry and inspect for any problems before you sweep and Slang wax.

I don't recommend it if you don't know what to look for but have seen and have stripped many vinyl floor without a buffer only with a bucket of stripper and a mop.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I would agree, strong stripper and faster removal worked better for me than weak stripper and a longer dwell time, they are using weaker glues on floors today and too long a dwell time with a flooded floor may end up popping tiles eventually.

I ended up using a stripper from Buckeye and it would mop strip a floor in no time. The only time I had a problem with it being too hot was when I was using it to remove floor finish from a slate floor with painted baseboards. Some of the stripper got behind the masking and peeled the paint right off.

I recently received some specs for a large account I was considering, they specified NO FLOOD STRIPPING and a propane buffer was required.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom