First World Problem...Area rugs

EDS

Name
Ed
I rank on the top for area rugs in my service area. I only clean in home when I am providing other services. Always tell the customer that this is not the recommended way to clean them....yada yada and do it for dirt cheap..25 a rug so expectations are very low.

I have been giving the business away to other carpet cleaners outside of my service area. One of the guys I have recently been giving them to extensive knowledge but not the fancy equipment. The other company has the fancy equipment but cheap's out on labor and the manager is a complete idiot (if she talks to the customers the way she just talked to me I would be horrified)(wrote this a hour go and just refered someone to them) I give out rons number and then as a secondary. But they usually call run.

Gave them referrals with no strings attached for 2 years then the one time I decided to middle they charged me 2.25 sqft to clean when they normally charge 2.75. The customer is a very good customer so I did not want ANYONE around them except me.

I would hate to give up my ranking by distcontinuing the advertised service.

What do you guys do that don't have the equipment to clean area rugs???

4 calls toaday. And when it warms up usually between 10-15. But my google placement has made me the go to guy for a service I don't provide. FML

EDS

Name
Ed
I don't want to have any liability otherwise I would. But something to consider

EDS

Name
Ed
Did it with CRS for commercial against your guys advice...

EDS

Name
Ed
Since I have been here I have given all my rugs to Ron...

EDS

Name
Ed
But then I see the Monhan thread, no disrespect Ron, and it makes me nervous

EDS

Name
Ed
Also saw a pic of them washing rugs in a dirty river in India...so is all the fancy equipment really mess art or does it just make it easy when dealing with volume and production...

EDS

Name
Ed
Goal is to have 10,000 post by the end of the year. Hard to give up the quantity over quality in ALL aspects of my life...

EDS

Name
Ed
I was thinking of starting another website for area rug cleaning and ranking it where I live. I don't rank for where I live. I do the cheap one for less then 100 and use it a springboard to clean carpets and upholstery. My house is set up for it. Kinda I live on 2 acres. Shop other back and front is separate enterance for customers

Attachments

• IMG_2130.JPG
    IMG_2130.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 303

EDS

Name
Ed
Will not rapid fire post. The 10,000 post was a joke. Will pay a lot more attention to consolidating thoughts into 1 post. I do not want to wear out my welcome her. You guys are to valuable to lose over something that is easily corrected. So from this point on expect longer more succinct posts. Unfortunately I learn through pain. Thank you giving me the opportunity to correct my actions. Much appreciated.

And back to the subject in hand. So do you guys think that is a good idea then. Try to take the cheap rugs and refer the expensive rugs to Ron? With the goal that in exchange he will give me knowledge to one day have the skills, confidence and expertise to tackle the expensive ones?

And Fred who is the picture in my avatar?

Reactions: Mikey P

EDS

Name
Ed
OMG LOL when I did not have my partial that is EXACTLY how I talked. You could not see my front teeth. So much better....do I have any thing else to add? Nope!:yawn: Well maybe:
I knew Fred knew are deepest and darkest secrets.

EDS

Name
Ed
I talked to Ron today and told him he should give me some business cards. He told me I'm free to drop by his shop:icon_neutral:

Not to put you on the spot. But that's really out of my way...but then again it MY first world problem...

Confused...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The cheaper rugs are the ones that give you the most problems. Try cleaning a $100 viscose rug. Same thing with cheap tufted wool rugs. When you pick them up and see powder on the floor underneath, just put them right back unless you want to spend some time correcting cellusosic browning. These are the rugs that have a backing attached. Really the only ones you want to clean in home is 100% polypropylene with any backing unless you have the knowledge, skill and the right products. Even then, you are not going to get the same quality clean as you will in a shop. Not all rugs need shop cleaning. Having all the latest equipment makes rug cleaning a lot easier but only if you know how to use it. I constantly get rugs that were improperly cleaned by the big guys who have all the latest gear. My way is the slow way, with repetitive cleanings sometimes, hand cleaning fringes, etc but my customer satisfaction is right up there. I was lucky, I had training from one of the best in the business and then started taking courses. My biggest mistakes were paid by someone else and some of my biggest triumphs went unrewarded. C'est la vie.

EDS

Name
Ed
Canadian actor Jed Rees as Glen Chervin in the 2005 film The Ringer......

See Fred I took the positive from that picture. I saw the star on the hat and Mikey avatar is star so in my mind it was a good thing. Not to mention the guy not showing his front teeth. That was fate. Just another example of how we will believe in what we want to believe.

The glass is half full rather then empty. And while I have you here. The interesting things found on a ride is a great thread. But it all you. I have a picture of a ike mattress sale that I would love to post. Because we know that commercial is going to be running soon.

Can I join? have another one of like 8 booms on power pole trucks (hydro truck companies doing repair on a Sunday...think of the OT...but were all self emplyed here so that might not be as appealing to some of us.

EDS

Name
Ed
The cheaper rugs are the ones that give you the most problems. Try cleaning a $100 viscose rug. Same thing with cheap tufted wool rugs. When you pick them up and see powder on the floor underneath, just put them right back unless you want to spend some time correcting cellusosic browning. These are the rugs that have a backing attached. Really the only ones you want to clean in home is 100% polypropylene with any backing unless you have the knowledge, skill and the right products. Even then, you are not going to get the same quality clean as you will in a shop. Not all rugs need shop cleaning. Having all the latest equipment makes rug cleaning a lot easier but only if you know how to use it. I constantly get rugs that were improperly cleaned by the big guys who have all the latest gear. My way is the slow way, with repetitive cleanings sometimes, hand cleaning fringes, etc but my customer satisfaction is right up there. I was lucky, I had training from one of the best in the business and then started taking courses. My biggest mistakes were paid by someone else and some of my biggest triumphs went unrewarded. C'est la vie.
Thats why I would love to learn from you Ron. You know a lot. The other company I was talking about has the best equipment but the race to the bottom of the labour pool is evident. I have even had negative feedback from customers who I referred them to. It was kinda embarrassing. Yet at the same time I don't want some local guys who I am friendly with performing work in customers homes who have me as there carpet cleaner. Not only do you have the expertise but your far away from my service area to be a threat (hate using that word because it has a negative connotation) to my growth. As long as you teach at a reasonable pace (two years) then we will both profit. I don't want a cut. A cut is short sighted. I want your knowledge....

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I talked to Ron today and told him he should give me some business cards. He told me I'm free to drop by his shop:icon_neutral:

Not to put you on the spot. But that's really out of my way...but then again it MY first world problem...

Confused...

I guess you folks don't have a postal service up there in Kanada?

[QUOTE="Rolland the Gunslinger] Gave them referrals with no strings attached for 2 years then the one time I decided to middle they charged me 2.25 sqft to clean when they normally charge 2.75. The customer is a very good customer so I did not want ANYONE around them except me.[/QUOTE]

Is what you're really saying is you picked up the custy's rug and gave her a price without knowing the cleaning cost to you and your upset because your making little if anything on it.
The cleaners pricing seems low 2.25 Canadian is 1.68 USD and 2.75 is 2.05 USD things must be cheaper in Canada? I couldn't keep my doors open
pay utilities, employees, taxes, chemicals, rent, marketing, Vehicles, and Beer with a pricing structure like that?

It's not anyone else's job to make you money but you. Additionally, you can't expect a cleaner to eat it on a job so you can make a profit. So, next time you tell
the custy 3.50-3.75 sq ft. you have to make money OR you eat it because it's a great client and you want to preserve the relationship.

Reactions: Mikey P

EDS

Name
Ed
I guess you folks don't have a postal service up there in Kanada?

[QUOTE="Rolland the Gunslinger] Gave them referrals with no strings attached for 2 years then the one time I decided to middle they charged me 2.25 sqft to clean when they normally charge 2.75. The customer is a very good customer so I did not want ANYONE around them except me.
Sorry I have to edit this.

I have to edit: Hi Donna.. perhaps. Your defiantly off my list now. Hundreds of referral and the one time I call it in you charge me? WTF. I did not want to pay anything. And the way you talked to me today (if that is you) i would never refer someone to you. IAM YOUR CUSTOMER!!!!!!!

What you're really saying is you picked up the custy's rug and gave her a price without knowing the cleaning cost to you and your upset because your making little if anything on it.
The cleaners pricing seems low 2.25 Canadian is 1.68 USD and 2.75 is 2.05 USD things must be cheaper in Canada? I couldn't keep my doors open
pay utilities, employees, taxes, chemicals, rent, marketing, Vehicles, and Beer with a pricing structure like that?

It's not anyone else's job to make you money but you. Additionally, you can't expect a cleaner to eat it on a job so you can make a profit. So, next time you tell
the custy 3.50-3.75 sq ft. you have to make money OR you eat it because it's a great client and you want to preserve the relationship.[/QUOTE]
Great point! Sorry I am not 105 and very rarely use snail mail. Generational thing I guess...if you grew up in the horse and buggy era. I could have converted sales yesterday for Ron if I had a card. Not to mention the 4 referrals today. But then again I want everything now...I always picture how I would behave. If this is what I am doing full time the sky would be the limit. If I reached my peak I would expand. But to each there own.

EDS

Name
Ed
That post above does not give context to the topic. I have never farmed out a rug in order to make a profit off of it for the sake of making a profit off of it (aint that a tongue twister) The one time I did after giving this company hinderted of referals over a 2-3 year period they had the gaul to charge me. Does not seem reciprocal too me. I kinda lie. When I refer a customer too you I always tell them that above refrenced company MAY give 15% off if yopu mention Pacific Blah Blah referred you. There is the context.

EDS

Name
Ed
My future rug plant...non insutlated...but former grow show (no mild Chavez) are is insulated. Plan is for 1 rug a day 5 days week. Average income is 100 dollars. Getting people in the door to offer carpet cleaning should over same return. Expected revenue is 4k a month between both services (5 jobs carpet cleaning jobs per month) growbshowbroom is second pic...

Looigbto purchase a rug badger. Is it worth it if I have crb?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 282

EDS

Name
Ed
That post above does not give context to the topic. I have never farmed out a rug in order to make a profit off of it for the sake of making a profit off of it (aint that a tongue twister) The one time I did after giving this company hinderted of referals over a 2-3 year period they had the gaul to charge me. Does not seem reciprocal too me. I kinda lie. When I refer a customer too you I always tell them that above refrenced company MAY give 15% off if yopu mention Pacific Blah Blah referred you. There is the context.
What so I am out of line for referring hundreds of customer over a two year period, granted I don't know their conversion rate but based on their reviews and the service (minus my own self interests) it does not surprise me, Some support for what is just or am I just a whinny little bitch. Previously why I don't like the big guy. My point of reference who is she???? As a O/O that his my compete advantage. Thats why expansion is so scary. You have to delaget and trust in others. Im not good at that. Just shoot for full capacity (250k a year) or go Chavez????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom