% for employee wages

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
What is the % of your employee and owner wages out of total revenue? Another thread I read on here said normal is 25-30%. If that is what is normal, we are way above right now. I'm thinking our prices need to be raised to be able to lower the wage %. We raised pricing on upholstery/rugs because we were low to competition a few months ago. Carpet cleaning prices haven't changed in 2 years. (On avg. 50 residential a week we clean have some sort of carpet cleaning service in the order). We are around 40% sometimes higher for 4 technicians and 2 owners. What is your average??

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think for the effort you are putting into your work you are far too cheap.

1) You need to charge more
2) buy a tm and start soaking carpets like the rest of us.

Serious, I know you have concerns about moisture but you'll be able to achieve the same results but with much more ease and a lot faster.
Get a demo from one of the local distributors.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Since we don't plan on getting a TM, raising prices on carpet would be the option or pushing more on the add-on upsells. We don't bonus technicians out yet, but upsells we should start doing a 20% bonus on those I'm thinking. Return customers is a huge part for us, so I'm wondering if I can add $10 addt. per room cost than we charge now and not have problems with it.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I do keep an eye on you and I can see you care very much about the equality of product you deliver. I think you are short changing yourself.
Raising your prices you might lose a few clients but i wouldn't think many. They have already experienced your service and know the value.

Just raise you rates and you'll not look back! :winky:

Reactions: Joe Appleby

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
That is the only thing to get the wages % down if 20-30 is normal... This is our first experience having this size of crew so don't really have anything to look back on to compare.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
You need to sit in on SFS, Day 1. This is all the stuff Chuck goes over!

General rule is that direct labor payrool expenses should be around 20% of revenue (including your payroll taxes etc).

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Will, your asking for employee and owner......
As owner you should pay yourself as employee, and on top of that an owner(investment, risk,management) is separate pay
So I would separate for a more accurate number.

Yes chuck say 20%, says its a management problem if your not there. Most multi-truck in class were much higher. Guess that's why were there...

Taking Joe Appleby number. So if your burden is 25%, then 24% is your labor goal. (x=30/1.25)

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Burden is payroll taxes, work comp., medical, dental, PTO... Ours is around 7% of revenue.
Our labor for on location carpet cleaning runs between 19.5% and 22.5% of revenue. Our goal is to
keep our carpet cleaning labor with the burden below 30%.

Our hard surface division has a much lower labor
cost (but a higher chem cost).

Expenses vary with each business model.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
You are one hell of a manager if you can keep labor/burden at 20%.
With any kind of volume.

Most policy and procedures are not that difficult, doing it is!!!

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Chucks number has always been 20% if you want to run a profitable business. Yes, you can go higher but something has to give and it's usually the owners profits.

Back
Top Bottom