Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Nice job my technician completed today while I'm conducting a training in New Hampshire. Complete color change throughout a house. He took a light gray and changed it to a darker gray.

Dyes are guaranteed permanent and colorfast for the life of the carpet. Carpet maybe walked on 30 seconds after dyes have been applied.

Carpet dyeing saves you up to 80% as compared to the cost of new carpet replacement.

IMG_7907.JPG

IMG_7908.JPG

IMG_7909.JPG

IMG_7910.JPG

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Hey Chris. What do you guys spray with and do you have to protect the walls? How the heck did he do that so quick with those stairs involved?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It does look better not quite as dated. I think if I were moving out I'd dye it to help sell it. If I were moving in I'd replace it.

It looks better but its still not new. New house, I'd want new carpet.

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Hey Chris. What do you guys spray with and do you have to protect the walls? How the heck did he do that so quick with those stairs involved?
Kevin, we use a dye wand for apply the dye for jobs like this. Here's a video that will illustrate how we do it.

We use a dye shield to keep the dyes off of the walls. Having said that, the dyes will usually wipe off of the walls with a rag very easily.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Come on Nate, you think Chris has dyed carpet in his house or new?

When I built this last home I didn't go looking for used dyed carpet.
Geezzz man get with the program. :winky:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I could see this as a great selling aid to a homeowner. Chris, does the dye even out light and dark areas, or do they remain relatively different?

Reactions: Chris Howell

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
I could see this as a great selling aid to a homeowner. Chris, does the dye even out light and dark areas, or do they remain relatively different?
Thanks, Coastie. The dye evens out just fine. You really don't see the TrueColor until the carpet is fully dry. This particular carpet had quite a bit of shading, depending on the direction the pile was laying.

Reactions: Old Coastie
Name
Nate W.
Come on Nate, you think Chris has dyed carpet in his house or new?

When I built this last home I didn't go looking for used dyed carpet.
Geezzz man get with the program. :winky:

We have our flooring license, so I'd just buy "New Old Stock" or if I'm lucky find some carpet with a side match issue and get it for free.... :lol:

I hate dyeing more than you hate portables.... Granted @Chris Howell dyes look to strike better than I'm used too... AmeriColor and Dyeco dyes that my pops used to use would get on the vac hoses, solution lines, would have to "box the dyes" gets on your shoes, fingers, clothes, IDGAS how careful you are... Then you got the walls, thresholds, hard surfaces, which need cleaning up... Granted the same profit margin was made between dyeing and replacing...

Did I mention I hate dyeing?:hopeless:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Do you use a spray shield along the baseboards, or tape and mask? Would an airless spray gun be appropriate, or would it over-atomize the dye? Videos all mke me think the end result tends to be a bit blotchy.

So many questions..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have our flooring license, so I'd just buy "New Old Stock" or if I'm lucky find some carpet with a side match issue and get it for free.... :lol:

I hate dyeing more than you hate portables.... Granted @Chris Howell dyes look to strike better than I'm used too... AmeriColor and Dyeco dyes that my pops used to use would get on the vac hoses, solution lines, would have to "box the dyes" gets on your shoes, fingers, clothes, IDGAS how careful you are... Then you got the walls, thresholds, hard surfaces, which need cleaning up... Granted the same profit margin was made between dyeing and replacing...

Did you show these rug dying pictures to your mom? Looks like something she might be interested in. ???

Reactions: Nate The Great

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Do you use a spray shield along the baseboards, or tape and mask? Would an airless spray gun be appropriate, or would it over-atomize the dye? Videos all mke me think the end result tends to be a bit blotchy.

So many questions..
Actually, we almost always use a spray shield. I'd say about 1 out of every 500 carpets that we dye turn out splotchy. This is nearly always a result of HEAPS of detergent residues that were left behind from previous improper cleanings.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage

I had a pair of dye shoes that I wore or dye jobs, and they were permanently dyed brown. I used Dyco Dyes from Steve Greenberg, and dyes from Treat Your Feet.

You were also limited on what color you could make the carpet, as the dye you use combines with the original carpet color to make the new color, so you need to know how the 3 primary colors, red, yellow, and blue, mix together to take the existing carpet color, mixed with the dye bath you prepared, to the new color. You also have secondary, and tertiary colors to fine tune your dye bath.

Then there's the need to pre-dye color loss spots/areas so when you were done the carpet would look even, but if the dye sites on the fibers were damaged, then you won't get an even take.

I'll stick to cleaning and stretching, thank you very much!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
You were also limited on what color you could make the carpet, as the dye you use combines with the original carpet color to make the new color, so you need to know how the 3 primary colors, red, yellow, and blue, mix together to take the existing carpet color, mixed with the dye bath you prepared, to the new color. You also have secondary, and tertiary colors to fine tune your dye bath.
!

There is now an app available called Palettes which installs on your iPad, a better one is available to those that attend Chris' course.

This app; gives a close indication of the amount & colors of dyes needed to match the carpet where there's a problem.

I'm sure Chris can expand on this better than I can say it.

:yoda:

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Kevin, we use a dye wand for apply the dye for jobs like this. Here's a video that will illustrate how we do it.

We use a dye shield to keep the dyes off of the walls. Having said that, the dyes will usually wipe off of the walls with a rag very easily.

Thanks Chris, It's been a long time. I worked for a guy years ago that did full room dyeing. I only helped on one. It came out very splotchy.

Reactions: Chris Howell

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
There is now an app available called Palettes which installs on your iPad, a better one is available to those that attend Chris' course.

This app; gives a close indication of the amount & colors of dyes needed to match the carpet where there's a problem.

I'm sure Chris can expand on this better than I can say it.

:yoda:
We no longer use Palettes. It was far too cumbersome and had features that made it very confusing. We are now exclusively using the ColorCue app which automatically calculates all of the colors for you. It permits you to simply take a picture of the carpet or rug and will then automatically measure all of the colors and show you exactly which colors are needed in the precise amounts. No more guesswork.

IMG_6883.JPG

IMG_6882.JPG

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
Thanks Chris, It's been a long time. I worked for a guy years ago that did full room dyeing. I only helped on one. It came out very splotchy.
Not at all surprised to hear that it turned out splotchy. This happens because people are not properly trained in how to deal with the issues that a carpet may have. This can be eliminated with an understanding of what causes this and how to prevent it.

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
I had a pair of dye shoes that I wore or dye jobs, and they were permanently dyed brown. I used Dyco Dyes from Steve Greenberg, and dyes from Treat Your Feet.

Then there's the need to pre-dye color loss spots/areas so when you were done the carpet would look even, but if the dye sites on the fibers were damaged, then you won't get an even take.

I'll stick to cleaning and stretching, thank you very much!
Carpet dyeing can be quite intimidating to many people because they feel that it's difficult to learn. A good teacher can make any subject both easy and fun to learn, however. It's also very important to have ongoing support after you've taken a class. This is one of the biggest things that's lacking from others who take dye classes. You'll see that almost nobody who takes the other classes actually is out they are offering the service. That's because they didn't learn how to do it properly in their training. But hey, they got a patch for their jacket and a certificate!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I've heard you use the up to 80% comparison very frequently on your dye threads. That's one of the reasons I've asked you more than once if it works on polyester. Is it 80% of top of the line nylon carpet that you're comparing it to? Because the majority of people in a low income area are just gonna throw it out and slap on a new poly to replace it.

Dumbasses don't want to call their carpet cleaner to see what would last longer...oh no. They trust their "loyal" carpet salesmen. So what I'm getting at is, is your cost to dye a whole room cheaper than polyester replacement. Because if they're too cheap to replace it, then they're the poly customers

Chris Howell

Name
Chris Howell
I've heard you use the up to 80% comparison very frequently on your dye threads. That's one of the reasons I've asked you more than once if it works on polyester. Is it 80% of top of the line nylon carpet that you're comparing it to? Because the majority of people in a low income area are just gonna throw it out and slap on a new poly to replace it.

Dumbasses don't want to call their carpet cleaner to see what would last longer...oh no. They trust their "loyal" carpet salesmen. So what I'm getting at is, is your cost to dye a whole room cheaper than polyester replacement. Because if they're too cheap to replace it, then they're the poly customers
No. Polyester cannot be dyed as it has no dye sites. You'll never encounter this type of junk carpet in high-end homes and commercial properties. I'd say that we encounter poly carpets two or three times per year. That's because of who our target market is. If you live in a rural area where people don't have much disposable income, you'll certainly encounter it more often.

Poly carpets have a very short lifespan and end up needing to be replaced after just a few years of use. High end nylon and wool carpets can last 20–30 years, or even longer.

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom