Gaining Market Share as a Distributor

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by CPS Dave, Jan 4, 2017.

?

What would it take to bring your business to the new guy?

1. Better hours

37.5%
  2. Faster Service

37.5%
  3. Better "In-Stock"

37.5%
  4. Email blasts with deals and coupons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Location

62.5%
  6. Ability to order online and pickup in store

25.0%
  7. Local Delivery, and what would it look like?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    Pretend you know the product line very well at your current distributor (only one in town), prices are decent, no horrible experiences, then a new distributor steps into town. What would it take to get you to visit the new guy, and then what would it take to bring your business to the new guy?
  2. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    Since we are fairly new still, we are currently open 8-1 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. We may change our Tuesday hours to 12-5 to catch some afternoon business. Local feedback understands the 20 hours a week being newer, but a few have questioned the 8-1 timeframe. What are your thoughts?
  3. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    First of all we have to know that you exist. I am in a metropolitan centre with aprox 1.5 million people and I never get mail, email, flyers from any of the small distributors in my area. I don't get them from the large guys either. The only ads I get are from the guys I am already doing business with. Why don't you do a targeted mailing campaign to all carpet cleaning/restoration/maintenance companies in your area. Let them know what's different about you. Get their email addresses and start a monthly newsletter.
  4. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    You'd have to buy my love.

Until I started needing you.
    Nomad74 likes this.
  5. Ofer Kolton
    Ofer Kolton

Name:
    Ofer Kolton
    Dave it is all of the above and none of the above.
    People like doing business with people that they like. Gain them one client at a time and keep having that attitude as you grow, if you want them to stay with you.

If you treat them right, have a decent price and product choices, and take care of their problems when they need the help, most (not all) will stick with you. Like all businesses you're likely to find out that a certain percentage of your clients will be responsible for a disproportionate part of your profit. While the tendency is to always look for new clients, don't forget to cater to your true and tried.

And yes, Ron is right, they do need to know that you exist.
    jkowalski and CPS Dave like this.
  6. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    Great idea thanks. We have about 175 contacts for local cleaners. We have called them all multiple times, and attempted to get emails from them. We have about 35 emails on file and have sent a few blasts out already. We have also sent postcards for Grand opening with 20% discount on first purchase to all contacts. About 10% bounced back as old address info. Every few weeks, we make a full round of cold calls and mostly get voicemails. Some people answer, sound excited, complain about my competition, but don't stop in. Haha. That's why I'm wondering if the afternoon hours will be better. We will continue these efforts, any other suggestions?
  7. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    Haha, how about a free raffle on MB for some 2790?
  8. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    We also held a free spotting seminar and did a raffle for a free prochem spotting kit. I called the winner about 3 weeks later and asked how he liked the spotting kit. He said he hadn't even tried it yet! Thump!
  9. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    I don't know what that is.
  10. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
  11. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    Oh
    CPS Dave likes this.
  12. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    Think Toothpaste Marty..
    Old Coastie likes this.
  13. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    First of all, you are dealing with Yankees. Use small words in short sentences.

Then I think you have to outwork the established chemical pimp. Call and ask what they will be needing soon and offer to get it in stock and ready to go, or even to drop it off.
    Making a trip to my local chemical pimp is time consuming, but he always seems glad for my small amount of business and always takes time to advise me.
    Be the go-to guy. One of the things I've appreciated about Excellent Supply (even though they are hundreds of miles away) is the way they track down and drop ship parts to me. CRB brushes, bearings, sending me the manual for old equipment, I feel like I have a friend in the know. Be that guy.
    CPS Dave likes this.
  14. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    All great points, thank you.
    Old Coastie likes this.
  15. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    Do you guys think Saturday hours are a positive thing or a waste? My reason for it is because the local "chemical pimp" closes at 1 Friday and is closed on Saturday. Since we are budgeted for less hours, I was hoping that would attract some people.
  16. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    You are doing all the right things. It takes time. Make sure you have a good online presence as well. Website, facebook, etc.
  17. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Meggers

Name:
    MB
    How many times have you emailed to the same people? One post card isn't enough. You should be doing an on going campaign. One a month.

Bottom line, it comes down to relationships. Instead of calling and emailing.....GO TO THEM! Introduce yourself. Drop off a sample, special flyer or catalog. Find out through a personal conversation what you can do to earn their business. Find a problem to solve for them so you can show your value.

Better yet, drop off an invitation....get a nice real invitation made up (not a flyer). Host an open house at your location (if in the evening, encourage them to bring spouses, girlfriends kids, so they actually come and don't feel like they are loosing out on time with them - have craft table and games set up for kids)....trust me, get the ladies and kids involved and they will ask about your place and if they are using you or when they can go back. Have a decent give away for those that come (must be present to win). Serve good food and drinks (not a bunch of pizzas). Ask them to RSVP so you can plan for food. If they don't then call them to ask if they are coming (another touch point). Take photos...of the event. Use the photos to send out a thank you card for them attending and include another special. While there there, work the room. Do demos, find out needs and solve problems. Make them want to have you as the go to guy!
  18. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    Great ideas. Others have suggested going to them as well recently. Would you suggest just showing up at their house with a little care package and invitation? I'd love to do an open house but my shop is only 1000 sq ft and is pretty packed. Hoping to upgrade to about 3000 sq ft or more when the budget allows. There is no lawn space either. Location is not the best but its keeping the overhead down.
  19. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

I AM MIGHTY

Name:
    Bugs
    Dude!

You need to decide how commited you are to this. Those hours suck!

You need to be open in the AM so cleaners can pickup chems for the day. You need to be open in the afternoon so cleaners can pickup chems for the evening.

Yes, Saturday, at the very least 8:00-12:00

Guys can't buy if you're not there.

As much as I respect Meg, you can call dozens of cleaners while still holding down the fort for the walk-in sales.

Visit for qualified TM demo's, free samples? ook that!

People will sample you to death. Have a return policy, if not satisfied return for store credit.

Repairs should be your focus. All machines break and when they do its costing someone money. The heavy iron and juice sales will come as a pull through with equipment repairs.

Cash is king, no credit. You don't need partners!

Don't take any wooden nickles! Good luck! :winky:
  20. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    Thanks, who's Meg? The reason our hours are limited is due to the fact that we aren't busy enough to cover the cost. I certainly want to start TM repairs, hopefully soon, but Prochem said it's like $10k just to start with service and sales of TM's. Right now we just do chems and smaller equipment. I was hoping to grow slowly and reinvest. But maybe that strategy won't be possible and I need more cash to throw at the business for a big jump with payroll and TM services. Keep the constructive feedback coming.
    Desk Jockey likes this.