Gaining Market Share as a Distributor

What would it take to bring your business to the new guy?

• Email blasts with deals and coupons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Local Delivery, and what would it look like?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
I hate Waxie Sanitary Supply, but they are the only one that sells HOST product in town. So I have to use them. Sell something that others aren't? One of our local supply stores just started selling that CTI Weed Be Gone Stuff so I go there just to buy that. Others offer free demo classes. Interlink I look forward to going to EVEN if it is just for shoe covers, because they have coffee with different flavored creamers in the AM. :) I could buy shoe covers anywhere.

Reactions: CPS Dave

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
I might suggest then to drop your cleaning side and just focus on the sales. If you have any kids "sell" the side to them and you focus on the sales and tell people that you are not going to compete with them like the other guy does. Seems really piddly but you may just have better luck doing that. But that's my 2 cents, you have to do what is right by you.

Name
Scott Turknett
Those hours are rough. Do you have a motion activated camera outside your door? That's the only way to know when you are missing customers trying to come when you are closed. My local Interlink closes from 2:45-3:45. I can't tell you how many times in the past year I have tried or wanted to stop by in the past year and have been caught by that time slot.

CPS Dave

Name
David Belliveau
Those hours are rough. Do you have a motion activated camera outside your door? That's the only way to know when you are missing customers trying to come when you are closed. My local Interlink closes from 2:45-3:45. I can't tell you how many times in the past year I have tried or wanted to stop by in the past year and have been caught by that time slot.
We do have surveillance, that's a good idea to check. Thanks

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
The reason our hours are limited is due to the fact that we aren't busy enough to cover the cost.

And that will be the reason your sales will always be limited.
Might want to go to online sales only if you don't have the bank to staff properly.
Who answers the phone if someone wants to get in touch with you or place an order or see if you stock something?

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

CPS Dave

Name
David Belliveau
And that will be the reason your sales will always be limited.
Might want to go to online sales only if you don't have the bank to staff properly.
Who answers the phone if someone wants to get in touch with you or place an order or see if you stock something?
My employees answer the phone during business hours and I have a business cell phone that I answer after hours when available.

CPS Dave

Name
David Belliveau
I am a full time retail manager trying to grow the supply business so I can leave my corporate job. At some point I am going to have to risk it all and jump ship to get the supply shop going.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I hate Waxie Sanitary Supply, but they are the only one that sells HOST product in town. So I have to use them. Sell something that others aren't? One of our local supply stores just started selling that CTI Weed Be Gone Stuff so I go there just to buy that. Others offer free demo classes. Interlink I look forward to going to EVEN if it is just for shoe covers, because they have coffee with different flavored creamers in the AM. :) I could buy shoe covers anywhere.
We used to have a supplier who had a little coffe lounge for customers. If you were passing by and needed something, you sat down and had a coffee and a donut and chatted with anyone else who was there. Helped build a lot of good relations between competing carpet cleaners. Unfortunately, they were so successful they were bought out by a larger supplier.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The wind is blowing established brick and mortar stores out of the water.

I buy most everything online, only go to distributors in Nashville or St Louis a few times a year.

CPS Dave

Name
David Belliveau
We used to have a supplier who had a little coffe lounge for customers. If you were passing by and needed something, you sat down and had a coffee and a donut and chatted with anyone else who was there. Helped build a lot of good relations between competing carpet cleaners. Unfortunately, they were so successful they were bought out by a larger supplier.
Would you happen to know the name of the old owner?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Would you happen to know the name of the old owner?
I do but they would not like it to be given out. They are under a non compete clause. When they first opened up, cleaners flocked to them because they had a good equipment and chemical line up as well as good repair shop. The other supplier who had (at the time) the best equipment and chemical line up was also associated with a large cleaning company. Carpet cleaners always felt reluctant to buy because they felt that indirectly, they were supporting the competition. When the new guys opened up, they were an immediate success as they didn't also clean carpet. We now have another carpet cleaning company who has also gotten into the supply business. I will not do business with them as I don't want help out my competition

CPS Dave

Name
David Belliveau
I do but they would not like it to be given out. They are under a non compete clause. When they first opened up, cleaners flocked to them because they had a good equipment and chemical line up as well as good repair shop. The other supplier who had (at the time) the best equipment and chemical line up was also associated with a large cleaning company. Carpet cleaners always felt reluctant to buy because they felt that indirectly, they were supporting the competition. When the new guys opened up, they were an immediate success as they didn't also clean carpet. We now have another carpet cleaning company who has also gotten into the supply business. I will not do business with them as I don't want help out my competition
I ask only because I would love some guidance and coaching. Similar to the info given here. I understand ot buying from competition, but wouldn't you also want to buy from someone who has actually used the products they sell? Or is that not a concern.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I quit using a nearby (Paducah) supplier because they always wanted to know what accounts we were buying products for, and trying to cultivate side business from my then (1982) employees. I now know to never share such info with them.

I took employees to the Experience trade show 2 years ago in FL. where they wanted the employees' personal email to register them. I objected that I didn't want them marketing to them directly. My wife registered them with two extra email addresses we had.

Sure enough, those email boxes were soon bombarded with various pitches via the Experience people. No more.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not a real concern. One reason why is everyone has their own opinion as to what is "The best..prespray, emulsifier, neutralizing rinse, deodorant.

Another is as a cleaner, can I really value your recommendation? A distributor represents many products for many manufacturers. Is your opinion influenced by margin, pressures to move a product, master agreements?

I think most will listen but still decide for themselves.

CPS Dave

Name
David Belliveau
Not a real concern. One reason why is everyone has their own opinion as to what is "The best..prespray, emulsifier, neutralizing rinse, deodorant.

Another is as a cleaner, can I really value your recommendation? A distributor represents many products for many manufacturers. Is your opinion influenced by margin, pressures to move a product, master agreements?

I think most will listen but still decide for themselves.
Good points. Hmm, will have to think this out. Easier said then done to just dump the cleaning business I have worked so hard to build. But makes sense I guess to say I have to choose one or the other...

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Lee Stockwell
Two entirely different markets David.

Local, perhaps a 25-50 mile radius of potential actual visitors to your store if you make it worthwhile for them.

Online, anywhere, if you can ship asap and have what people need.

Either would take a lot of work, and money. I've seen a lot of good people go under.

F

FB7777

My 2cents

The fact that you want to enter the supply side, tells me you don't know nearly enough about it :smile:

Maybe back in the 80s, now you will,be the little guy going against well established and financed national players and internet drop shippers

I think you'll bust your balls to please ungrateful locals, work crazy hours, get late night calls and open on sundays during emergencies to establish good will

And still lose a ton of sales to these ingrates cause Amazon has it for $2 cheaper and free shipping :stir:

Stick with cleaning, better margins

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I totally agree with Fred. Buying at 40% is a trap, it never works out to that.

If you're determined to run two businesses focus on the service business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom