gallon weight

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
How much should a gallon of Citrusolve weigh? Shouldn't all liquids weigh 128 oz? Just bought some and it felt light so put it on the digital scale. 109 oz. with the bottle. this is not the first time.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
My gallon jugs keep getting lighter and lighter, too. Releasit is particularly bad for this, you go to the van and have half a gallon where you thought it was nearly full. I think it is a plot to sell more product!

But to answer your question, a gallon by volume may weigh more or less than 128 ounces. Try filling an empty jug with water to the same level and compare the weight, then you'll know if you got a short measure or a lighter product. I would have expected about 130 ounces by weight.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Fluid ounces are not the same as weight ounces. Fluid ounces are a measure of capacity, not of weight. Every liquid will not weigh the same. Some liquids are heavier than others. As long the bottle is full, you got what you paid for. If you don't like how many ounces to a gallon you are getting, move to Canada. Our gallons have 160 fluid ounces, bigger even than Texas gallons.

Absher Carpet

Name
Jonathan Absher
The liquid measurement is 128 fluid ounces not weight.

Liquids weigh different amounts based on density. Chemicals with solvents will weigh less even though the liquid amount is the same.
Water weighs a bit over 8 lbs. per gallon.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Water should weigh 8.33 x 16 =133 oz.
Pure Citrus solvent (d-Limonene) is only 84% as heavy, so 113 oz.
Some solvents are heavier than water and can weigh 30% more than water.

As mentioned, some solvents can evaporate thru the packaging.
That is why we overfill a couple of our solvents.

We also use "barrier 3-ply" plastic containers on our StainSolv & H.D. Preconditioner
to reduce losses.

Last edited:

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Kevin,

The MSDS for Bridgepoint's Citrus Solv says it contains naptha and d'limonene and lists the product's specific gravity as 0.8 g/ml. this would make the weight of a gallon of product 106.82 ounces, plus whatever the container weighs.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Shouldn't all liquids weigh 128 oz?
Plain water weighs about 133 ounces per gallon.
Gasoline weighs about 96 ounces per gallon.
Liquid propane weighs about 68 ounces per gallon.
liquid mercury weighs about 1800 ounces per gallon.

So, no, not all liquids weigh 128 ounces per gallon. In fact, I don't know of any that do, exactly...

Reactions: J Scott W and Zee

Tom Forsythe

We weigh all of our batch samples and adjust our case scale to meet the weight of the product. Every case goes onto a scale. If the light is green it goes on and if the light is red we stop production and make adjustments to the filler. Our liquid gallons can weigh from 6.5 lbs per gallon (solvent products) to over 9.0 lbs per gallons. Water is 8.33 lbs. per gallon. The acid in Viper Renew is heavy and is an example of one product weighing over 9.0 lbs. per gallon. Weight considerations enable you to determine quality as long as you are focused on same type of products. Lighter can be better for solvents, and heavier is usually better for water-based products. Zone Perfect at a 1 to 32 dilution weighs almost 9 pounds while HydroBreak at a 1 to 8 dilution weighs around 8.33 pounds. Both of these products contain solvents and surfactants lighter than the weight of water and alkaline builders which are absorbed into the water increasing the weight of water. Years ago we made a soap free product called Prolon which weighed over 10 pounds per gallon.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
How much should a gallon of Citrusolve weigh? Shouldn't all liquids weigh 128 oz? Just bought some and it felt light so put it on the digital scale. 109 oz. with the bottle. this is not the first time.
which product? Measure it out with your measuring cup. Weights and measures is no joke. There was an unnamed manufacturer that was consistently sending me product under weight. I mean way under weight so much so I knew it when I picked the bucket up before I put it on the scale. Odds are most people never noticed but I did. Your talking $6-9 per pails worth. When I called the person I talked to took it serious and made sure to send me make up product and new lids. You can be over slightly (not to much or shipping will cost you) but under and the government gets involved. Why it was under weight doesn't matter as They had a "valid" miscalibration at least what they said happened and have made sure everything is over by a few ounces since. If your jugs are coming up 120oz and it is sold as 128oz (volume) then that's a big deal very big deal and W&M can fine them to the point they take everything if they have been doing that long enough

Tom Forsythe

Liquids are sold by volume not weight. Powders are sold by weight not volume. Our powdered products fill the bottle close to the top when poured, but over time settle. Some formulas settle more than other formulas. I am certain all of the chemical manufacturers in the industry take steps to prevent this from happening. I would return any product that you have any concerns with to the distributor who will look into the matter for you. We package well over a million units every year. The Utah division of weights and measures audited us recently. It took them a few hours to look at a couple of products, which had no issues. They have made it a new initiative of their division to start making regular visits to manufacturers to do unannounced testing, which is something we support wholeheartedly. As mentioned before we take several steps to prevent any of these issues including a planned 1% overfill on liquids. If we error, we are confident it is to our detriment, not benefit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom