Getting to know Bill Bruders

Mikey P

Administrator
So Bill, since you've become an avid Mikey Boarder I thought I would take this opportunity to do a short interview.
If you would like to see how others have handled these interrogations please look here: viewforum.php?f=3

-When did you get into this industry and how?

-How much time have you personally spent behind a wand?

-When you visit a Jon Don or Interlink what isle do you spend the most time in?

-Who cleans your carpet at home and what method is used? Do you insist that they prevacuum?

-Where do you see your company in five years?

-Convince me to spend $330 on an Airmover when I could get a Mytee for $99.00

-Have you ever tried dual wanding with a Vortex machine?

-If not would you like to?

-Are you really sponsoring a Nascar team and does that sort of thing have any chance in paying off as a sound marketing move for carpet cleaning equipment?

-Have you ever hired Van Halen to play at your birthday party?

-and finally, what is your favorite pre spray?

Thanks Bill!!!

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
So Bill, since you've become an avid Mikey Boarder I thought I would take this opportunity to do a short interview.
If you would like to see how others have handled these interrogations please look here: viewforum.php?f=3

-When did you get into this industry and how?

That’s a complex question since few people I know grew up dreaming of being a cleaner but here’s the story. My youngest brother Dennis married into a family carpet cleaning and restoration business in 1986. It was called Ace Cartozian and Carpet Care located in Seattle and was started in 1938 as Ace window cleaning they started cleaning carpets in the late 1950’ when they purchased a Moore Roll-A-Jet rug washer and duster from that they entered the on location cleaning business. I was working in the corporate world at the time but had been operating a “construction” business on the side from the late seventy’s when my partner and I would do most any job to make money to pay for school, including cleaning carpets using a shampooer especially at various private schools in Seattle during the summer in conjunction with painting etc. (maybe we were sloppy painters and had to clean up after ourselves?) Dennis really introduced me to Hot water extraction as well as the world of Water Damage and insurance reconstruction. His father in law Bob Pace was one of Claude Blackburn’s (Dri-Eaz) first distributors as well as top distributor one year and brought Prochem to the Northwest. The story goes on from there but…. I won’t bore people with more but eventually this business became a product distribution company of which I was a partner. I sold out in 1997 and Dennis sold it to JonDon about 2 years ago. I’ve been at Dri-Eaz over 11 years now.

-How much time have you personally spent behind a wand?

I’m not going to claim true journeyman status on this but from about 1990 to 1996 I worked full time in the distribution side and had to learn the cleaning side in order to be credible. I am a huge believer in hands on training so I took every opportunity to clean any carpet I could. I still do some cleaning projects more to come later…..

-When you visit a Jon Don or Interlink what isle do you spend the most time in?

Interesting question I can’t say there is one I spend more time in than another. Many people might think I spend most of my time in the drying equipment section but honestly I find it the least interesting since I know what I’ll find. I check out all kinds of chemical products and I like the gadgets area.

-Who cleans your carpet at home and what method is used? Do you insist that they prevacuum?

Well I have my carpets professionally steam cleaned by a couple of local friends John Watson from Claude’s Carpet Care is one. They prevacuum or I do it but heck yes! I also am pretty passionate that being in the industry means I should have a clean home so it’s not unusual for me to clean my carpets (traffic lanes especially and upholstery 2 dogs) every 4 to 6 months. Right now I’m testing new equipment so I’m doing neighbors houses as well. I think most people would tell you I’m a pretty hand’s on guy.

-Where do you see your company in five years?

Continuing to innovate new products for cleaning and restoration professionals here in North America while introducing and developing new markets for our company focused on our core business in other parts of the world, Eastern Europe, South America and Asia as examples.

-Convince me to spend $330 on an Airmover when I could get a Mytee for $99.00

Hmmmm, well from my perspective it’s much like paying $69 to have my house cleaned or .35 a square foot. You get what you pay for. We design our products to make money and outlast our competitors by years. Being restoration focused means that when a product stops working there can be many consequences not the least of which is a loss of $20 to $25 a day in rental revenue. We are not focused on being cheaper than our competitors we are focused on value which hopefully has something to do with why we have been making Airmovers for 29 years and have seen many others come and go.

-Have you ever tried dual wanding with a Vortex machine?

Nope

-If not would you like to?

Sure can I use a Stryker or at least a glide?

-Are you really sponsoring a Nascar team and does that sort of thing have any chance in paying off as a sound marketing move for carpet cleaning equipment?

We sponsor Sterling Marlin (2 time Daytona 500 champ) at the local track in Nashville for 6 races this year as well as the Legends of Nascar race that was held at Bristol TN. Sterling has agreed to work as corporate spokesman so to speak as part of the deal. Trust me its pretty low budget since Sterling lives near Nashville and was going to drive anyway. But part of the deal is an opportunity for folks who might be in Nashville and want to catch a race to meet with him and the team and have someone to root for. Here locally we sponsor 2 winged dirt sprint cars that run at the local track. We give tickets out each week to the people in the company so they can take their families out to a night of fun and excitement on a Saturday night.

-Have you ever hired Van Halen to play at your birthday party?

No but if someone can set it up I’m game, heck it doesn’t have to be my birthday party. I have a question for people Van Halen with David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar – Michael Anthony or Wolfgang Van Halen?

-and finally, what is your favorite pre spray?

Ok well I had been a long time believer in Prochem’s Ultrapac. But now that Joe Domin works with us and we have launched our own product line under Sapphire Scientific I’m going with Surge. Sorry have to plug the home team

Thanks Bill!!!

harryhides

Name
Tony
Burning question :

Does John Watson remove his hat upon entering your home and what does he do while Helen does the actual cleaning ?

Mikey P

Administrator
Well heck, since you banged those out so quick let me get a few more in...

-Please answer Tony's question about John Watson.

-If you could acquire two more companies in this industry which would they be and why?

-What would you tell a rookie to the biz are the three most important factors when choosing a new truck mount?

-Want to buy a banner?

Thanks Bill, you're a great sport.

Tell Thom I said hi!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom