Getting to know Billy Hicks and co..

Mikey P

Administrator
How did you get into the Carpet Cleaning Industry?

We started in Final Phase Construction Clean-ups, then moved into Janitorial. We wanted to service our clients for carpet cleaning too, so we started with a portable & began attending IICRC classes. We learned that with the birth of our son we didn't want to work nights/weekends anymore, so we went toward High-end Residential.

How many and what machines did you have before you acquired the Aero Tech?

Namco Husky Portable Machine (Rarely Used, but still have), 1994 Spitfire 3.2 along with a Water Otter for higher pressure in a 1994 Ford E-250 Extended Van (of course with many Billy Customizations) until we bought the AT.

What would you change about your AT today?

Since I am never satisfied & always trying to make things better this could take awhile.

1. The diesel soot getting inside the truck is a pain to keep out.
2. More outside lighting
3. Three Underbed Toolboxes
4. IP Cameras instead of CCD's
5. Dual Pressure Regulator
6. Need to change Truck Vinyl to show new company name
7. Just too many to list all & probably will get another truck before finishing all I want

What is the best reaction you've gotten to your company uniforms when the 3 of you are on a lunch break at the Piggly Wiggly?

Well we do not shop at Piggly Wiggly, but while in uniform we get asked daily what we do? They try to figure it out & talk to each other....then get the nerve up to ask. Or there are some that just come right up to us trying to read the shirt then ask. It is great for conversation & has led to a few new clients.

What percentage of your local demographic can afford your services?

There is no way to give you an percentage because this is purely based on someone's value system. Most people can "afford" us but we don't want everyone. We attract people that want quality work done & who are not looking at price as their main criteria. Side Note, We have Clients from many different income levels.

-What is your repeat percentage?

Approximately 90%

What is your preferred up sell?

Protector since it is about the only extra add-on besides additional services which we will offer if needed.

What percentage of jobs do you dual wand and what family member does the stroking?

Some jobs are not practical to dual wand on, but we can dual wand by cleaning stairs & edging one part of a house, while the other is cleaning with the RX-20. Any of us can run the RX-20, but Christopher or myself usually do that, while Audra is edging, cleaning stairs & doing the detail work. Audra can clean upholstery with our low heat hose & we can be cleaning carpet at the same time. We try to work efficiently, but sometimes it is not practical to get two sets of hose out. It all depends on the lay out of the house. I would say 50/50 on the percentage.

Will you get your son a truck of his own someday and split the team up?

Yes, that is possible if he decides to stay with the company! He also has to be 18 yrs old to drive the Big Bear Truck.

Who do you emulate in this industry and why?

I have never tried to emulate anyone because I like to be uniquely different, although I do have a few mentors!

What has been your most successful form of marketing?

Website, Networking & Referrals! I can't count the money I have wasted on Marketing Programs & other Forms of Marketing.

How many times have you gone through the Country Bear Jamboree @ Disneyland?

Never been there...but we have been to Black Bear Jamboree & Dinner Show in Pigeon Forge multiple times!

What is Audra's favorite mid day snack?

Bear Naked - 100% Pure and Natural Soft-Baked Granola Cookies...Double Chocolate & she likes to makes sure we eat & stay hydrated.

Polarized, Grey, Brown or Amber tint?

Maui Jim Ka'anapali Metallic Gloss/ HCL Bronz!

Billy

Name
BH
Mikey P said:
Did you change the name of your company Billy?

Nice job on the HS.

Thanks!

Yes we changed our company name to Big Bear Floor Care after clients started writing checks to the Big Bear Truck, Bear Truck, Bear Crew etc which was part of our long term plans.

Thanks for the HS invite!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Maybe this is just a me thing...but you have been Hicks Carpet Care since January of 94......you have that name branded on everything you have including your elaborate wrap on your truck....All your existing clients have known that name for many years...Just because a few are not getting your name correct..is that really a good business move after all this time to change your name.....If this was a problem that was happening day after day then your doing something wrong in your marketing and not getting your name out there.....What would you do if every so often some one accidentally wrote it out to Stanley Steamer......would you have a big yellow truck......what am I not understanding..........

Billy

Name
BH
Jim Martin said:
Maybe this is just a me thing...but you have been Hicks Carpet Care since January of 94......you have that name branded on everything you have including your elaborate wrap on your truck....All your existing clients have known that name for many years...Just because a few are not getting your name correct..is that really a good business move after all this time to change your name.....If this was a problem that was happening day after day then your doing something wrong in your marketing and not getting your name out there.....What would you do if every so often some one accidentally wrote it out to Stanley Steamer......would you have a big yellow truck......what am I not understanding..........

Yes, you are correct on all of your points, if we actually hadn't planned a name change years before with the new Branding with the Bear we created. There were only a select few that knew our long term plans, even though I am a talker, I am very good with secrets. We couldn't just change our Image & Name all at once due to possible identity loss like you wisely pointed out, so we planned years in advance. We were actually waiting patiently for the day when clients started confusing the Image & Name. As for the old name, we have kept it also while our existing clients get used to the new name & we realize some may always call us Hicks Carpet Care & that is OK with us.

The Truck, Private Label Products & Uniforms are some of the last things to change, which are scheduled for change soon. We chose this change for last just in case there was a problem. The new name has been very well received though & the logo was a very minor change, so all is going as planned so far. I know it sounds like a bad marketing business move to some, but it wasn't done without lots of fore thought & planning for our future!

Trust me I really don't do many things without allot of planning...Remember, my truck took almost 3 years for me to finalize.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I think it's a good change, the way you did it. Better abc positioning, simpler, and perhaps easier to sell some day.

I have a client who changed their restaurant name after 3 years from Saucy Pig to Hungry Bear in 1975, complete with logos and a 8' tall stuffed bear. 35 years later doing better than ever (they donated the bear a few years back). A favorite MSU hangout and my grandkids love it.

Name
I'm Rick James
Its good to see you posting here Billy. I remember seeing your family and van in the ICS mag a couple of years ago.

Billy my cable company is changing their name and like you they are taking close to a year to do it. When AT&T bought out Cingular it took them about a year or so to drop the name cingular. But they still use the Cingular name brand on phones. I too am changing my name and like you I am taking my time with it. I am already starting to introduce the new name and it could take into the winter time to make a switch. I will not drop my current name, i am just going to market with both names. Go Green w/ Kabluey.

I am subbing out my design work because, and im sure some will agree its NOT my strong point as a business owner.

Good luck and thanks for posting here.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I got a ton of people writing the wrong name on checks.
I actually purchased the DBA on a few names that were close so my bank would cash them.
Like $15.00 to do it so no big deal....if it happens a lot.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brian R said:
I actually purchased the DBA on a few names that were close so my bank would cash them.

"ImaGinE ThAt"...... :roll:

Why don't you just have them make the check to::::: "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN"

yor wElComE... :mrgreen:
KOR

Billy

Name
BH
Lee Stockwell said:
I think it's a good change, the way you did it. Better abc positioning, simpler, and perhaps easier to sell some day.

I have a client who changed their restaurant name after 3 years from Saucy Pig to Hungry Bear in 1975, complete with logos and a 8' tall stuffed bear. 35 years later doing better than ever (they donated the bear a few years back). A favorite MSU hangout and my grandkids love it.

Hey Lee How are you doing haven't talked with you in a while!

Yes you are correct also & what you said is also stuff we thought about. Our Bear was born out of a need for an image & my wife loves most anything to do with Bear. Could be why we go to Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge area so much.We have all kinds of stuff & the latest is a table with two Bears holding it.

brent said:
Its good to see you posting here Billy. I remember seeing your family and van in the ICS mag a couple of years ago.

Billy my cable company is changing their name and like you they are taking close to a year to do it. When AT&T bought out Cingular it took them about a year or so to drop the name cingular. But they still use the Cingular name brand on phones. I too am changing my name and like you I am taking my time with it. I am already starting to introduce the new name and it could take into the winter time to make a switch. I will not drop my current name, i am just going to market with both names. Go Green w/ Kabluey.

I am subbing out my design work because, and I'm sure some will agree its NOT my strong point as a business owner.

Good luck and thanks for posting here.

Thanks for the Welcome Brent,

I also find my self calling Cingular/AT&T BellSouth Mobility sometimes. There are lots of companies through out history that have for what ever reason changed Images & Names. When done with a plan I don't see a problem my self.

As for us ours is taking longer due to cost of changing all marketing material.

I don't do all the graphics we learned a long time ago it is good money spent to hire a Professional Graphic Artist for our Art Work. We are so thankful to have a Great one to work with. You always need one that has a vision of what you want though & this isn't always easy to find.

Good Luck Brent with your Changes, If I can be of any help just ask.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
HARPER said:
Brian R said:

"ImaGinE ThAt"...... :roll:

Why don't you just have them make the check to::::: "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN"

yor wElComE... :mrgreen:
KOR

Or to my favorite carpet cleaner I hereby bequeath. :mrgreen:

Mikey P

Administrator
So are you servicing wood floors as well now?

how about VCT?

With the new tag line I guess you should at least dabble in all floorings..

Billy

Name
BH
Mikey P said:
So are you servicing wood floors as well now?

how about VCT?

With the new tag line I guess you should at least dabble in all floorings..

Not 100% you are talking to me but just in case.

Yes we have actually been doing wood floors since Bridgepoint first introduced their wood floor system.

Now as for VCT when we were a Janitorial company we subbed that out because we hated doing it for the available $$$$s & wasn't good at convincing people to pay what we would have wanted for the cleanup involved. So even though I don't like saying NEVER I can say most likely Big Bear Floor Care will NEVER Strip & Wax VCT.

Now we do also clean Linoleum now days at the request of a few clients.

We are mostly a Residential Company & at least clean most everything in a house accept for drapes. The small amount of commercial we take care of pay well.

Name
Lee Stockwell
VCT and wood are very good for us, once you get the techniques down, much more profitable than carpet.

You should do it Billy, you've got the right market. Do you go as far as Brentwood or Franklin?

Billy

Name
BH
Lee Stockwell said:
VCT and wood are very good for us, once you get the techniques down, much more profitable than carpet.

You should do it Billy, you've got the right market. Do you go as far as Brentwood or Franklin?

Lee we go where ever the $$$$s are if someone wants to pay enough no distance is out of the question.

Wood has taken a larger percentage in the last few years especially since the economy went south. VCT just isn't part of our plans for now. We also don't do Restoration at this time but have in the past.

I really appreciate everyones input & it does make me think more with the GREAT questions.

joeynbgky said:
I need someone to do a strip and wax for me in owensboro soon

Why aren't you offering to do it Joey? I rarely even see VCT in my circles.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Thanks Billy

personally, i like the nAme change.
'specially with the Smokey Bear graphics and Ranger Rick uniforms
AND...pret' near all the Hicks I know up here are a bunch of ornery mean hillbillies .
That's when they're sober!!!!
When drunk, they're mean AND stOOpit....

yea, I know "meAt, you azzhole"...... :mrgreen:

seriously, I like the new name
and seriously, I knew some Hicks originally from south of the River that were NUTZ..

..L.T.A.

Billy

Name
BH
meAt said:
Thanks Billy

AND...pret' near all the Hicks I know up here are a bunch of ornery mean hillbillies .

and seriously, I knew some Hicks originally from south of the River that were NUTZ..

..L.T.A.

Thanks Larry & No Offense taken I have always been saddled with Both a First & Last Name that sometimes people pre-judge. Since I don't have any family left accept for my wife & son I could be related to any of the Hicks out there. But I wouldn't be drunk ever since I don't drink Beer, Liquor, Moon Shine etc....

Incidentally we received a referral today that was a Realtor that complimented us on what she said was a good move for marketing since new name matches image perfectly in her opinion.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Billy said:
Incidentally we received a referral today that was a Realtor that complimented us on what she said was a good move for marketing since new name matches image perfectly in her opinion.

that's exactly what I was saying....in my own special way... ..seriously

..L.T.A.

Billy

Name
BH
meAt said:
Billy said:

that's exactly what I was saying....in my own special way... ..seriously

..L.T.A.

I understood your meaning well I just thought it was a little funny our name change is currently being discussed here & a new client just called today looking for Hicks Carpet Care but said she really liked our name change.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Well, I am impressed with Billy and his company.......... I spoke with him on the phone the other day for almost an hour! Billy is full of great information! I am so happy cause I am close to him.... He is allowing me to borrow his truck for two full days! I am so glad he trusts me with it! Those apartments I clean are going to be cleaned with the big truck! Thanks billy

:)

F

FB7777

Billy does seem to know his sheet... the one thing that will always baffle me about his speel is the low hours on his truck

I saw it in Nashville... it had less than 600 hours on it

If you've had the truck for 3 and a half years that computes to roughly 3 hours a week actual use

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have started to watch mine, I have 850 on mine in one year............. I may start using a pump up sprayer instead of the HF to lower hours...... I think Billy watchs everthing very close. Maybe he can share some tips with all of us about how to keep hours down! We can all use some advice on this........................

Ryan

meAt said:
Thanks Billy

..L.T.A.

Lol my mother's maiden name is hicks :shock:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ryan said:
meAt said:
Thanks Billy

..L.T.A.

Lol my mother's maiden name is hicks :shock:

Bahahaha now I can steal your facebook password. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom