Getting to know Paul Brown..

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
He's lived the life of 3 people! I met Paul in St Louis for the Summerfest. Glass blowing would be a cool trade....except for the health problems!

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
I miss blowing glass. I rented some studio time two years ago to see how rusty I was....made a lot of junk glass that I would have tossed back in the furnace 30 years ago to try again. Maybe some day... I still have a pile of brick for my annealing oven and my blowpipes and tools, as well as some assay crucibles which are good for test batches. I saved some Kugler German color bar to make frit out of.View attachment 2017

Tomorrow, I'm cleaning some wool carpets at Jerry Garcia's estate...220 feet to the master Bedroom. It'll be interesting to see how well the Savage electric machine and the Mytee AirHog Plus will do there. I'll time the setup. Lots of hose to unwind and lay out carefully. I ground the travertine hallways there last summer. 17 hr job.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
When Paul came to our open house event a few years ago, he did a presentation featuring various "gadgets" he came up with / adapted from other areas unrelated to carpet and upholstery care. Most of them seemed to be from Harbor Freight. Everybody was super- impressed and jazzed. So next time he does a similar presentation, I wanna buy stock in Harbor Freight beforehand.

I'll never forget the look on several of the attendees' faces when he pulled out a straight razor and described how to use it in upholstery care.

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
Duane,

That was a great group of guys and a fun gathering.

I use that straight edge a lot....fastest way to fix a red spot..pull the fibers with needlenose pliers up 1/2", trim even with the pile...better than "pinking" shears. Cat scratch threads on front of arms, a quick swipe and the couch looks good,....save the threads and super glue them to hold them in place if there's a tear, couple wraps of colored thread from your sewing kit and perhaps a permanent color sharpie and you're done.

When you're holding that straight edge, blade open, it's amazing how fast you get paid....I need one for some of my commercial accounts. LOL

Today at Jerry Garcia's estate, I pulled the airhog plus out of the van, pushed it to the M bedroom door, and ran 35 ft of hose to reach all the carpets. 150 cfm at 16.5 " lift. I ran water from the van with the little giant cranked up. Easier and faster setup than the last time I cleaned it with the Fox. Wool carpets dry in 2 hrs running an airpath. warm today on the mountain, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derek and Mikey P

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I miss blowing glass. I rented some studio time two years ago to see how rusty I was....made a lot of junk glass that I would have tossed back in the furnace 30 years ago to try again. Maybe some day... I still have a pile of brick for my annealing oven and my blowpipes and tools, as well as some assay crucibles which are good for test batches. I saved some Kugler German color bar to make frit out of.View attachment 2017

Tomorrow, I'm cleaning some wool carpets at Jerry Garcia's estate...220 feet to the master Bedroom. It'll be interesting to see how well the Savage electric machine and the Mytee AirHog Plus will do there. I'll time the setup. Lots of hose to unwind and lay out carefully. I ground the travertine hallways there last summer. 17 hr job.

Paul....do you remeber the "General" giving "fire-eating" lessons to the group at St Louis?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I took my harbor freight angle buffer and put a small tuway hand bonnet on it and now use it instead of toilet paper.

And then I took my harbor freight sonic tool and mounted my tooth brush on it for a much better tool for my teef.

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
Paul....do you remeber the "General" giving "fire-eating" lessons to the group at St Louis?
I do remember the General doing that.. I tried it once...lighting my little giant heater, wasn't quite as fun. I needed Jimmy's adaptation of my harbor freight tool to clean my shorts.

There's no way without Tuway.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I took my harbor freight angle buffer and put a small tuway hand bonnet on it and now use it instead of toilet paper.

And the winner for the shiniest "purple spider" goes to Jimmy!

And then I took my harbor freight sonic tool and mounted my tooth brush on it for a much better tool for my teef.

You mean tooth don't you?

Whatever happened to the corn cobs?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Just like Kenny Harris Lisa stole my idea and is now making them over in China.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Well Willy seeing that you're one of those liberal bastards who live in Kanada and a has a GAY lifestyle I'll carve up a baseball bat to fit your ever expanding sphinxter.

And I'll make up one for Foster too.

Reactions: Mikey P and hogjowl

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
ETM system this past week:

One of the things I like about my system is it's modularity. I spent two day's at the Jerry Garcia estate cleaning upholstery and wool rugs, with the Mytee Airhog Plus set up at the door of the rooms and hot water coming from the van. Yesterday I cleaned 1500 sq ft of tile bathrooms at a computer company in Petaluma. Again, I brought in the recovery module with auto pumpout and ran 225' sq ft of solution hose from the van. Setup time was about the same as pulling all the hoses from the van when I had the Fox. 5 hr's total; to clean 1400 sq ft of tile and showers in two restrooms....I had time to go home and ride the last 25 miles of the Wine Country Century.

Reactions: Bob Savage

harryhides

Name
Tony
Great stream of consciousness, Paul and plenty of unrelated tidbits of unrelated but fascinating info.
Thank goodness you refrained from answering any of Mikeys questions.

Been a long 7 years since I saw you at MF 2006 which was a great pleasure.

View attachment 2102

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Paul I really enjoyed reading your history!!! Thanks for sharing all that with us.

As an avid cyclist and bicycle lover - I got my start in bicycles too, working as a mechanic in shops and custom wheel building. My first real bike shop job was working for the importer of the good old Coppi's made by Fiorelli in the mid 70's (Campy & Columbus). Today I'm riding a carbon Cervelo R3 with Campy Record, and a Pinarello fixie. And I still have an old Bottechia hanging on the wall in our warehouse.

I'd love to someday get the chance to sit down and hear more of your stories.

Last edited:

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
Rick,

Modern bikes are a completely different animal! One of my clients that I built a Calfee CarbonFrame for in 1995 bought a Storck frame last year. He's 6' 6" tall...the bike weighs 14.9 lbs. unbelievable! I rode it, standing, of course, my legs aren't that long, and was afraid it would break...it would take some getting used to.
There's a bunch of old bikes and frames in my garage: Alex Singer, Columbine, Cooper, Frejus, Rochet, Urago, Geminiani, LeJuene, Ron Cooper, Pogliaghi, Colnago, Bertin, Ritchey, Mikkelsen, Franklin, Legnano, Follis, diVinci, CoMotion, Greg Diamond, Chris Pauley, Jack Taylor, MkM, KTM, Italvega, Bottechia, Paramount, Cannondale, Paul Brown, Santa Rosa, Jeff Richman, Gitane, Witcomb, Miyata, Fuji, and a few more I can't remember offhand....every time I go out there a pedal bites my ankle. My daily rider is an old Ron Cooper with NR group from 1972, a greg Diamond track bike, and a Mikkelsen frame I designed in 2006 with Ritchey couplings. I've done the Honolulu century on it with a friend who I also built one for. This summeri'm going to make the attempt to thin out the herd putting stuff on EBay.

Tony, good to hear from you..did ya' ever compile all the results from the last Winterfest? . That was a fun event. I went back to CFMartin in Nazareth, Pa in 1995... Was planning a book on Martin guitars. I got lots of info, old newspapers, interviews....came back with great intentions. But life got in the way.....maybe next year a feature article in Acoustic Guitar about the strike at Martin in 1977 that lasted for 9 months....a friend of mine bought the very unique guitar that Martin showed at the NAMM show in 1977, while the strike was going on. It looked like it was made by a committee of weary drunkards as far as the appearance goes....sound however is magnificent!

Internet was off last week modem died, and it took AT&T a week to send out a technician. Lovely!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom