Given the choice, where would you like your day light?

Mikey P

Administrator
In AM or PM?

Californians could be spared from changing their clocks twice a year, as a bill to let voters suspend Daylight Saving Time advanced past a key committee on Thursday.

Assembly Bill 385 cleared the Senate Appropriations Committee’s suspense file and is headed to the Senate floor. State Sen. Jim Nielsen, R-Gerber, was the only no vote.

More than 60 years have passed since California voters agreed to institute Daylight Saving Time, endorsing a 1949 ballot initiative whose proponents predicted heightened workplace safety, less crime and a more efficient use of resources.

Since then, the time shifts have become an irritant to many. Assemblyman Kansen Chu, D-San Jose, said he began re-evaluating the policy’s worth after reading research suggesting the risk of heart attacks, car crashes and workplace accidents rises immediately after Daylight Saving Time begins. A study of Indiana’s recent implementation of the time change also found it failed to limit energy consumption, instead causing people to use more electricity.

Because voters initially approved Daylight Saving Time, they would need to reject it. AB 385 would put the question before voters should it pass the Legislature.

That reality became more plausible Thursday with the vote by the appropriations panel, which functions as a legislative gatekeeper capable of halting controversial bills. To land on the 2018 ballot, the bill will still need to clear both houses and win the support of Gov. Jerry Brown.

Neither Hawaii nor Arizona observe Daylight Saving Time. An alternate option of switching to Daylight Saving Time hours yearlong could not happen in California without federal approval. A resolution calling on Congress and the president to authorize such a move has been advancing through the Legislature.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
It will only matter to those who have a fixed schedule. Kids in school. 9 to 5 workers. I say set the clock and leave it alone. We have bigger fish to fry.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
304056_223707957696737_621215122_n.jpg

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I prefer it always be daylight savings time. Working more or less a 7 am to 5 pm schedule it gives me an extra hour of daylight when I get home. I don't care if it's dark when i go to work, but it sure is nice to have daylight when I get home.

Besides, if it reverts back to standard time in the summer, there's no way I will get my lawn cut.

Name
Nate W.
One of the coolest things living in Washing State was still having light at 10pm. I get depressed when it's dark at 5 or 5:30.

That through my pops and I off when we went to SFS in Seattle...... We were talking with @The Great Oz and thought it was only 7pm when it really was 11pm..... Steve T. wasn't too happy about my pops and I dosing off in class.......My pops started it though......He took the lead, and I merely followed.......:icon_redface:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I hate the day light savings time setting....keep me where I am now...

More daylight end of the day for me...

I am up early every morning in my office and don't mind it dark then....just want more light towards end of day...

I am with Chavez on love it when it is daylight until 10 pm each night....

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Indiana used to join AZ and HI in not changing clocks. When we adopted DST we unfortunately, joined Eastern NY time instead of Central Chicago time. That is crazy, just look at a map. Right now sunrise is about 7am. At the worst sunrise is about 815.

My ideal is sunrise 5am all year and sunset 9pm. I could live in Alaska in the summertime but would slit my wrists in the winter.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Indiana used to join AZ and HI in not changing clocks. When we adopted DST we unfortunately, joined Eastern NY time instead of Central Chicago time. That is crazy, just look at a map. Right now sunrise is about 7am. At the worst sunrise is about 815.

My ideal is sunrise 5am all year and sunset 9pm. I could live in Alaska in the summertime but would slit my wrists in the winter.

Yep land of the midnight sun. :biggrin:

I agree 24 hours of dark, I wouldn't last a week.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
To me daylight savings time serves no meaningful purpose.
Problems on both ends of the day when the time is changed.

Move it a half hour and end it...period. Congress would have one less thing to fiddle with all the time.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I'm with Newman's Post... Daylight savings time is stupid and confusing when dealing with states or countries that don't practice the daylight savings time system- so scrap it..

and while were at it-- lets finally go metric-- it will be easier on trade..

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
When we lived in AZ and would fly back to IL, gaining an hour or two was awesome.

For the midwest losing an hour during winter means it's dark(& Cold) at 4;30-5pm. It blows.

steve_64

Its about the kids getting on the bus in the dark. Or so ive heard.

South Bend didnt change for a few years so half the year they were at the same time as us and the other half an hour off. Talk about confusing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom