Good product just .....

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
Good product just smells so funky. I've even cut dilutions super low. Anyone ever fix this by adding deodorizer?

Attachments

• IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 134
Name
Jeff T
The first version smelled like a combo of old socks, and vomit. At least that's what one of my clients said. After that, I went back to my old rinse. I still have 3 full jugs, and 1/2 of the 4th...... just looking for a large job to use it up on...

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
Strange... I tried it once before, and used it as suggested. It smelled like curry or like a sulfur type smell. I bought a new jar last month for the heck of it, hoping maybe the formulation smells better. Nope, same funky smell. Does not smell clean at all more like booty.

Name
Jeff T
Strange... I tried it once before, and used it as suggested. It smelled like curry or like a sulfur type smell. I bought a new jar last month for the heck of it, hoping maybe the formulation smells better. Nope, same funky smell. Does not smell clean at all more like booty.
I was also using it as suggested, the odour could have something to do with the local water in the area a guy is using it..... oh, I was using it without soft water, and it bunged up my machine......

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
I was also using it as suggested, the odour could have something to do with the local water in the area a guy is using it..... oh, I was using it without soft water, and it bunged up my machine......
Only soft water here.. it actually smells like drain cleaner when I think more about it.

Name
Nate W.
I can smell it also.. I know when I run out as I can tell by the smell.. I'm not chemical sensitive, but very aware and observant..

Has a weird smell to it but keeps your lines and filters damn clean!

Tom Forsythe

The odor comes from the sulfamic acid which is the building block of the formula. Without sulfamic acid there is no Flex Ice as other acids turn the powder into a brick. We tested over a dozen fragrances in the formula with only one that did not sour over time or create re-soil issues. We have sold Viper Renew for over a decade and as a pre-spray has a very strong acidic odor without complaints. Rug plants use acetic acid which has a sharp vinegar smell. Most acids have odor issues so I have always been surprised by the concern of the odor at a 1 to 640 dilution, especially when used to rinse pre-sprays with fragrance. The odor is what it is and we have done what we can to mitigate. Many fragrance deodorizers are sold in the industry so adding a small (do not create a re-soiler) amount to the head pack when you mix it up is one solution (choose one to complement your pre-spray fragrance). The other solution would be to enhance the fragrance of your pre-spray which should be able to last long enough until extraction.

We sell 16 rinses in our system and after 2 years more Flex Ice ready to use gallons are used than any of the other 15 that have been sold for years. Apparently the benefits have outweighed the negatives of the odor and the need to use with soft water. I talked to one cleaner who lived in a hard water area who loved the Flex Ice but had some sediment issues. Once he realized the issue was hard water he immediately ordered 2 water softeners for his 2 trucks because he did not want to clean without it. I heard that many cleaners love Flex Ice because they can use for their restoration jobs and for their delicate upholstery cleaning. In short, for many it is the only rinse that they need. Of course if you need another one I have 15 choices for you. :biggrin:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Tom Forsythe - Reader's Digest version:

My nose definitely operates below the 25th percentile, not very good. I am surprised by those who can still detect a fragrance when a product has been diluted 1:640 for a rinse.

Yes, you can add a deodorizer to the rinse. Be careful not to add too much. Fragrances usually include essential oils. Too much oil can lead to resoiling.

Another option is to add fragrance to the prespray. Should last until the rinse flushes it away.

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
The odor comes from the sulfamic acid which is the building block of the formula. Without sulfamic acid there is no Flex Ice as other acids turn the powder into a brick. We tested over a dozen fragrances in the formula with only one that did not sour over time or create re-soil issues. We have sold Viper Renew for over a decade and as a pre-spray has a very strong acidic odor without complaints. Rug plants use acetic acid which has a sharp vinegar smell. Most acids have odor issues so I have always been surprised by the concern of the odor at a 1 to 640 dilution, especially when used to rinse pre-sprays with fragrance. The odor is what it is and we have done what we can to mitigate. Many fragrance deodorizers are sold in the industry so adding a small (do not create a re-soiler) amount to the head pack when you mix it up is one solution (choose one to complement your pre-spray fragrance). The other solution would be to enhance the fragrance of your pre-spray which should be able to last long enough until extraction.

We sell 16 rinses in our system and after 2 years more Flex Ice ready to use gallons are used than any of the other 15 that have been sold for years. Apparently the benefits have outweighed the negatives of the odor and the need to use with soft water. I talked to one cleaner who lived in a hard water area who loved the Flex Ice but had some sediment issues. Once he realized the issue was hard water he immediately ordered 2 water softeners for his 2 trucks because he did not want to clean without it. I heard that many cleaners love Flex Ice because they can use for their restoration jobs and for their delicate upholstery cleaning. In short, for many it is the only rinse that they need. Of course if you need another one I have 15 choices for you. :biggrin:
Tom, Thank you for your response. For my target market I would say End Zone is my best rinse, due to the client base I have built. Although for heavy commercial or vacant residential (apartments/ rental homes) I would say you Ice is great.

Tom Forsythe

End Zone is number 2 rinse in terms of RTU gallons used. Since it is a liquid we use a combination of citric and glycolic acid which has a better odor over sulfamic to start. It is also easier to use fragrances with a liquid than a powder so we have a nice fragrance to go with it. There is a pattern emerging for us as acidic rinses are our 2 most frequently used extraction products by our customer base. I wonder if this is a pattern throughout the industry or just for our customers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom