Google Adsense.........?

Mikey P

Administrator
You've probably noticed (or not noticed that is the question) Google's Adsense on other web sites that you visit.

Basically it's the placement of three to five small links to an on topic company or service. Bulleting boards of all types utilize the service to bring in money.
Google sets it up for free and pays the site's owner on a pay per click basis.

If I were to do it here I would suspect company's like Jon Don, Hesco, Magic Wand, Interlink and the like would come up on a rotation. The linked companys would have no say in it and would not be able to complain if something negative were said about them.

I dont want to keep bugging you all to donate or subscribe to help the cause but if this project doesn't start to bring in a few bucks on a consistent basis, my wife is going to kill me.

For more info look here: http://www.google.com/services/adsense_tour/

All opinions are appreciated..

G

It sounds like a good idea to me. I think as long as the board's integrity isn't tarnished all is good. That's what everyone loves about this board, is the freedom to say yay or nae on a product.

i'm all for keeping the wife happy!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Need more information.

Are they like the little ads that pop up on spellingcow? Those probably wouldn't bother anyone, but I'll bet google will lie to you about how much money you'll make. You need lots of traffic before anyone will bother to advertise, and you'll get a tiny portion of the money.

Might be more profitable to sell t-shirts and mugs.

Check it out ten different ways before you sign any contracts.

PS: Spellingcow recognizes spellingcow as a misspelling.

Mikey P

Administrator
Google would automatically pick advertisers to put here.
They look for key words that come up to find on topics websites to link to.

You may be right about the numbers though, 600 users may not "Click" enough of anything to bring in cash to make the cluttery look of the ads worth it.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I feel the same as Curt about this, go for it. If it doesn't work then get out when you can. It may take a while to see any kind of return though. Ads never bothered me in any board.

Of course you can also have a mandatory membership fee. Board is big enough now I think. Free 60 days then a small annual fee, should cover your expenses and pay yourself for your time.

Albert

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I say do it. Also need to figure out how to get this site to show up better on searches. That will help with pulling ad dollars.

Gary T

Mike, I don't think it's a bad idea, but how many of us would really click through to some of those sites mentioned? If we would click a few times a day just to do it, it may work. But you'd really need a ton of clicks. Also, look up Chris_787 over on the DG board. He does an organic web site optimizing to get you top spots on the search engines. Not sure what he charges or what all is involved, but he says it is much cheaper than pay per click to get those spots. I would also be willing to pay a monthly or yearly fee for this board.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I sent in 25 bucks when it was mentioned. I think it would help if you gave a suggested donation or annual fee. I am not sure if you were expecting 25 a year or 10 or 100.00 is my point. Good board though. On the other hand consider taking advertising but let them know up front they can't and you won't edit posts to make them look good. My $.02.
Al

R

R W

Hey, Mike.....figure out what the breakdown would be with the existing memberlist, and let us know the cost. Are we talking $100's?? ....a few bucks??? Let us know.

Get in that Vortex truck and drive down to Riverside....I'll let you impress my sister in law!!! Dan takes care of the carpet now.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mike;

I would object to the clutter and placement of Google ads. They would take up part of the page people are trying to read.

I think selling ads directly is a better way to pay for the board.

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Myself, I'd prefer a subscription fee as long as it was reasonable.

The problem with that is you WILL loose members.... maybe those aren't the ones you want to keep... Not all lurkers are blood suckers taking and not giving, there's new guys, shy guys etc although your 5 posts a month minimum to get an invite to Mikeyfest isn't that hard an ask.

With a subscription fee, you'd possibly find the quality go up as well.

As Gary T said, I don't think it would pay because we're not going to sit here and click links all day. Also the guys that are already using web based purchasing already have the sites they buy from as links so I can't see the point really.

IMHO only, John

Cameron1

Heck Man, I would be glad to donate some cash. I make money, or save money, based on what I read on this board. So, it only makes sense to repay or . " pay it forward".

I would hate to see links and such because it will cloud the landscape. Plus, I wonder if some people will decline the hotseat based on certain sponsorships.

Why don.t we have a New Years Day fund raiser. A single thread where everyone can pledge their donations

G

1) Is the Spelling Cow ads using your Google Adsense account?

If not, dump the Spelling Cow, you're just making money for someone else.

2) You'll make far more money selling ads to Cobb, MagicWand, Blueline, AeroTech, Harvard's, etc...than Google Adsense.

Trust me on this one. I have a few websites with a Google PR of 7 and 8 with Adsense on them and I'm lucky if I break $50 bucks a month in Adsense revenue.

Other than reading my above input...do whatever the heck you want. Don't make it "all about the money". The money will come eventually.

Scott

With a Page Rank of zero, it doesn't appear that the board is about making money.

Scott

R

R W

Well, there's my answer, Mike. About $60 a year should help you along with the board. I'm thinking everyone on this board could contribute that much.

Greenie

Many will read here and say Hey it don't cost that much to run a board, I say those guys are the first ones I would cut off.

You have to give to receive.

Steve C. is right on the money with his comments. It's not money spent like a McDs value meal, it's money invested in your future.

Plus it's just not that much dinero, many here pay into the IICRC or a Trade Association, this forum will do more for your business than all of the above in the real world.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
But there has to be a caution here .
These same advertisers are the exact ones who choked off the ICS board.Allowing them to quietly advertise if they are good only opens the door for them to abuse it down the road.

All it takes is a couple free beers at connections and some perks from them to abuse you.Remember the Vortex man?

I can see several of these "Friends" whispering in your ear now.
Filling your head with visions of industry importance as you dangle with puppet strings.

Mikey P

Administrator
I appreciate you concern James and will take your suggestions under consideration but if I dont get my five bucks from you Danny and Marty real soon you'll all be listening to the Todd and Bob show on WCCS all day long.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
i think you put a lot of your time into this and im sure it costs you money for all of us to enjoy your board and the people we meet at it. i will be happy to pay a sub each year and think you should sell ad space. but when selling the ad space tell them they may be knocked by the people on the board and we pay to have the right to knock them

this needs to be a place where you can call it as it is ....if not then a name change to mikeys ics/cleanfax board is needed

Mikey P

Administrator
I really dont want to do Banners at this time CU, I think they're a rip off for all involved unless there are thousands and thousands of readers.

Like I said If I could get half the group to kick in 5 bucks a month ( .16 a day) I could make a buck as well as run a monthly contest with some cool prizes, use funds for MF and possibly helping members in need.

G

Mikey P said:
In any way or form does this board seem like it's all about the money?

Errrr.....yeah! If it wasn't you wouldn't be doing it.

I don't knock you for wanting to make a buck, in fact I encourage you to make a buck. Just make dollars instead of change ;)

In my post above I was just mentioning that you'd make more with advertisers than with Google Adsense.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Shawn D. Beagle said:
[quote="Mikey P":35ffqz37]In any way or form does this board seem like it's all about the money?

Errrr.....yeah! If it wasn't you wouldn't be doing it. .[/quote:35ffqz37]

Speak for yourself Shawn, it is the very rare person that never did anything for their community with no thought to needing or wanting some form remuneration. Volunteerism and charity is alive and well. Life is not just about money.

Did you ever coach little league or help out a good cause ?

Mikey P

Administrator
At this point in time I would continue to host, plan, edit, problem solve, create and contribute to this board even if I never get another cent from the readership.

For how long will my attitude stay this way?

I can't say.

BUT!

I would really feel great about bringing in enough to pay for my CC tool addiction, some chems and a new gun or set of binoculars every once in a while.

I would also like to run a monthly contest for a $200 spending spree at GreenGlides, Cobbs, Magic Wand or Pembertons.

I would also start a savings fund for "emergencys"

I don't think anyone realizes how much effort and time I put into this thing.

Has to be 2 hours a day hands on where I'm moderating at some level ( granted late at night) and all kinds of time on the phone dealing with all kinds of stuff like lost passwords, future HotSeaters, conflicts or difficult members...

I'm not complaining at all just stating the facts

I think people forget that the other boards are revenue generators for their hosts. Take away that income from banners or sales and those boards would shut down in a heart beat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom