Google "Home Based Address" issue

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
thats the only problem.....

stuck to 1 city for a top rating... i think??

on the flip side...my mobile listing is on top to....got a job from it the other day....used his smart phone to find me...:rockon:

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
I removed the address on my places listing last February. My goal was to see if my places listing could show up in other towns in my service area. I did not see any move from my #1 rank, nor did my places listing show up in another town.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Norm that is for your organic listing. What about your your local Maps listing? I read in a recent article that so far hiding your address does not effect organic results but may have a negative impact on your Maps listing.

FredC

Village Idiot
Change your location to Geneva IL...the places will display

Mo

Name
Mauricio
I received a call from google that I didn't answer and sure enough my maps listing was gone. I received another call from them a couple of days later. They asked if it was a store front. I let them know that it was a sore front that customers used for pick and drop off of rugs. A couple of days later the listing was back minus most of my reviews.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Google is God or lately more often Satan. They will do as they please and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Game of cops and robbers, whatever rules they come up with you have to scheme around it.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Google must be lurking on mb...

This morning my places listing received the smack down from the big G, fell about 4 places out of nowhere :eekk:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I got this call yesterday. I had the number stored in my phone waiting for the call. The lady was speaking real soft and she had a thick accent. I politely told her that I couldn't hear her and asked if she could repeat herself. She did and I still couldn't understand her. I apologized and told her that I was having a hard time understanding her and she hung up. Today....... Listing gone. Sucks big time. I think I'll just start over.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Google must be lurking on mb...

This morning my places listing received the smack down from the big G, fell about 4 places out of nowhere :eekk:

Amount of search traffic for your keyword could have changed(probably increased), that plays a factor in ranking changes.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Amount of search traffic for your keyword could have changed(probably increased), that plays a factor in ranking changes.

Not too sure why to be honest, our sites not attached to google are all at top now but for some reason the places page changes all the time.
Total mess...

My best guess is the content needs to updated, pretty old in internet time.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I got the call today told them I did oriental rugs and customers dropped stuff off to clean. I was the letter B on Google maps. Now Im gone. They bounced me.

Golden Boy

FredC

Village Idiot
Why didn't you just hide your address BEFORE you got the call instead?

Reactions: SamIam

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Maybe the Google Bot is stalking us here. Maybe they have a contract with the other boards..... If we only post here, they shut us down. Financial terrorism.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I'll admit he got me to. I have no excuse I read about it on this board at least a week or two ago and just kept putting it off until it caught up to me.

I went and switched it right after I hung up but it didn't help. I have a support ticket with them and hope they fix it soon but the good news is for me at least this is about the best time it could possibly happen.

I just hope I get most of my reviews back. I had 17 and the next closest only has 2 or 3.

Oh and before I had the b or c spot on places and that was it. Now my website shows up in the spot right below the places I'm also hoping that may slightly blunt the impact.

PS. This dude never identified himself as being from Google. He just asked if I did business in Panama City and if customers came to my location, which I answered yes but evidently it doesn't matter what you say.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mikey P

Administrator
Funny, but to us "The Circle" is subjectively a negative thing, when in reality, it may draw more attention to your listing to they eyes of the average consumer......assuming is does not affect your ranking of course.

Funny you should bring up the "Circle"...
If you have not dealt with this issue yet and you have Full Circle answering your phones, you may want to prepare an answer for them..

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I still wanna know Why TF they are doing it???

whats the purpose??

FredC

Village Idiot
Funny you should bring up the "Circle"...
If you have not dealt with this issue yet and you have Full Circle answering your phones, you may want to prepare an answer for them..

If you have time to do that....just go ahead and hide your f'n address

Reactions: Mikey P

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
If you have time to do that....just go ahead and hide your f'n address

So Fred since I already screwed up is there anything else I should be doing besides the support ticket and just waiting?

Did you get my email about the address change and keywords?

FredC

Village Idiot
Yes...changed the keywords.

I'll contact you when I get back in this evening about the places listing.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Yes...changed the keywords.

I'll contact you when I get back in this evening about the places listing.

Thanks, Fred. Sorry for the trouble. The way I procrastinate it's amazing I'm still in business at all.

What I don't get is why they bother calling when they are just going to delete you no matter how you answer. :confused:

No excuses though I should have been on top of it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
goes back to my question......

what is the purpose???

cuz they can??

need better then this....

wtf do they send you "buy our ad words" and then delete your shit......ohhhh i would be fried if i had spent money and then they pull this shit

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
goes back to my question......

what is the purpose???

cuz they can??

need better then this....

wtf do they send you "buy our ad words" and then delete your shit......ohhhh i would be fried if i had spent money and then they pull this shit

The point is they don't want you to promote your business using the places area, you buy ad space for that. And Goomer is right, they want places that can be driven to like storefronts so that you can use their maps and directions features as well. Remember Google offers many other things that all tie together. If you own a service based business, just hide your address like Fred has said probably 10 times in this thread and elsewhere already and be done with it. The search engines purpose is to index content, and they like to do it accurately. They want fresh new content that isn't a duplicate of something somewhere else on your site. They like links that work, otherwise they can't display the right content when a search term is entered.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ahhh well there ya go....makes sense...

but my links do work...and was getting calls from it...

now thinking of it though??? (and be patient with me) why would they care, or make a difference if someone doesnt "drive" to "carpet cleaning Layton"???

its not hogging space from anyone else, cept your comp....which they are in the same boat??

I think I asked the question correctly???

hehe on a side note...sifting through stuff......found my old listing when i had the kaysville PO addy....re-did it with this addy (clicked hide address) and requested new pin.....lol...

I had asked a year ago to delete that listing....hummm ohhhhh also was able to go in and edit my other one???? though a few things i clicked did not work....very very odd

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yeah after the 10th time i finally went and made the changes fred has been advising. Just hate to make major changes with this stuff, total crap shoot.
Will check back in a couple weeks.

Mikey P

Administrator
You guys who had they assess/places saved because of Fred may want to show some gratitude by becoming a supportive member..

Just a suggestion is all..

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom