Great Tools To Improve Your Craft

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
536402_402157589853855_397778922_n_zps9e9531ef.jpg

Not expensive, but impressive!

More suggestions to follow. Others no doubt will feel compelled to share their tips too.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I'll be the guinnie pig....

what the heck is that thing Tom?

Chris

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The little magnifier is called a linen tester. Makes it easy to count knots per square inch. About $8 at pgiinc.com

The other machine is known as a shear or micro-shear. From NC (or National) for $3,000. You can use it to remove high tuft rows, remove pilling and cat pulls, or to get into all kinds of trouble.

Another really handy tool is the pad saw. View attachment 1201
A $500 pair of scissors that pays for itself immediately in speed if you sell pad with your rug cleaning.

Reactions: GCCLee

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Here is another handy devise for spotting pre and post rug washing under $180 (Also great on most textiles):

TextileGungood20gun_zps238a6dba.jpg

The adjustable tip is great too.

Pettyjohn has effective chemistry to offer for textiles.

http://pettyjohnsolutions.com/

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The pad saw is avialble from NC or Bond Products. The saw is fast and has an integral sharpener. (2 seconds to sharp)

If you cut a volume of pad they have a floor model that runs about $3,000.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
What is the preffered pad of choice?

We talking carpet pad or the old egg crate looking rubber pad here?

I am liking Rugs and Textiles more and more and crave da knowledge ;) plus no one here does it very well!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A rug dolly is another handy item, particularly if you're trying to get rugs out of a house while working alone. View attachment 1209

Chris,
Stretched-in carpet doesn't move side to side like a rug does, so even the best carpet pad falls apart pretty quickly when used under an area rug. The best rug pads are the felted nylon ones that have a rough grippy texture to the top and some kind of non-skid backing. We use Durahold, but Jade, Shaw, WunderGrip and others have all made their own versions.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
A rug dolly is another handy item, particularly if you're trying to get rugs out of a house while working alone. View attachment 1209

Chris,
Stretched-in carpet doesn't move side to side like a rug does, so even the best carpet pad falls apart pretty quickly when used under an area rug. The best rug pads are the felted nylon ones that have a rough grippy texture to the top and some kind of non-skid backing. We use Durahold, but Jade, Shaw, WunderGrip and others have all made their own versions.

Ahh, I gotcha oh Great one.
I will check it out.
Now that you mention it about the carpet pad, gawd what a mess.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We have those dollies at all our rug care centers as well- they really help getting multiple rugs to and from customers cars.

We use our shearing machine dozens of times a year to shear a 1/6 to 1/8 of an inch of pile off older faded rugs. The difference can be amazing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Never sheared a sheep so I ain't gonna start on some cranky ladies rug without ALOT more training.

Most of this is way over our heads and out of budget at this point. On site (ugh) or (home in basement/workshop)

You have thrown a nut between two starving squirrels guys

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Great thread. Thanks.

I have the shearing machine and use it extensively for de pilling. I had a handle unit manufactured for it that also holds a back pack vacuum unit.

I haven't had occasion to use it to tip shear anything and would want to practice on something else first.

John

rhyde

Name
rhyde

Chris,

We use the dollies in the shop for the most part or really large heavy rugs or ones that can't be folded but they large and not ideal for in home use.

We prefer hand trucks the pneumatic or foam wheels vs. solid wheels they can damage hard wood.

http://www.handtrucksrus.com/sr.aspx

Ron K

Never used a Dolly. Use Furniture dollies around the shop 4'' off the ground is a lot less lifting. We also use a hand truck but like the 2 Handled version. Get the hand truck to the back of the van Rest the handles on the van floor place 4'' by 6'' sliders under the handles and just pick the back(wheels) up and slide the rug in. Also works with washers and dryers anything heavy. Tie the load down cause now it's real easy to move.

Reactions: GCCLee

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
One alternative to curbed soaking pits that take up precious floor space:

BunkFeederGalvanizeTS31hbdbxQFzL__SS500__zps48d3bb2c.jpg

10' Galvanize Bunk Feeder.

With stand about $130 (Without - $95)

I like this plastic tub for soaking nasty smelly skunk rugs out of doors away from humans. Usually, there are holes in the bottom of the plastic tub that need to plugged first before adding water and chemistry.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
That's a better option than any of the feeders I've found around here. We have a couple of the higher sided tanks and used the holes to fit a water bib.

Also, the prices for some of the professional tools may seem high, but at least the N-C stuff will last a lifetime. What's the saying? Buy a cheap tool and when it breaks buy the tool you should have in the first place?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom