Name
C. Pat Lanyon
I was attempting a Grayber brand cellular blind cleaning using Steamway upholstery cleaning products 1/ uphol prespray w/fiber refresh, then olefinplus, then encap product mistnbrush, then solvents. Nothing worked well, and we got only about 25-35% success. I did not try enzymes, but it seems all else was attempted. This all was followed by HWE Butler equip with an enclosed-chamber hand tool. I need to go back with a better approach.

Here are the before pictures. Note a test blind was pre-vacuumed with upholstery tool before wet attempts also. The blinds are well built and nice additions to this above average home. After results show about 40% max soil removed.

Home conditions: Immaculate, but home owner loves to cook, new home construction nearby, so exterior dust is a factor, but Forced-Air filters are changed there each 3 months, so I consider dust not the issue here.. Age of blinds= 3-4 years. Never cleaned before. Thanks for further suggestions.
tower-graber-shades.png

Highlighted soiling (red outlines)

20170118_150603.jpg

(Dark Side = Inside of blind)
20170118_150657.jpg

(Light side= outside of blind view)

20170118_150746.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Can't see the pics, but if you're trying to remove filtration soiling you may have to take them down and soak them.
NOTE: This only works for pleated shades!

If these are true cellular (honeycomb) it is almost impossible to remove filtration soil. They will fall apart if they get too wet, and dry solvents will make them fall apart immediately. Graber will tell you not to use anything but air.

Ramacciotti

Name
Eric
I have been cleaning draperies and fabric window shades for almost 17 years. Graber shades never do well. Hunter Douglass Duettes do better but they need to be cleaned on a regular basis so they do not get to the point the Graber ones are. The Graber ones just need to be replaced.

Eric Ramacciotti

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom