"gym" smell

What are some ideas on getting rid of, or lowering the odor in a gymnastics place? To me the place smells like what you would imagine, a gym. But the owner really wants to try and remedy the situation. Carpet cleaning hasn’t helped alleviate the smell. The owner has ozone machines that run at night to try and kill the odor, but there is still a “gym” smell. I think it might be more of an air flow, air exchange issue. What are some other ideas?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
place a commercial grade ozone in the a/c intake and that should do it. I'll bet he uses the small ones that don't generate much ozone. I clean a bikrams yoga studio and they run a commercial ozone and there is no smell.

gene

Jason

I agree about stepping up the intensity of the ozone... I have run my total ozone machine at a YMCA, in the locker rooms and in a gym, and it worked, getting rid of nasty gym smells, that's one miracle machine, and we don't have to use our backs to get it done.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Just how do you plan to ventilate the area so it can be occupied again ? A vapor shark is effective, and the space can be occupied while its in use.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Odor in a gym will be an on-going problem. You can't ozone for a few hours and expect it to be permanently corrected.

I agree with Steven's idea of a Vapor Shark. Maybe as a permanent installation. At least use the Vaportek cartridges in the duct work to deodorize everywhere the air travels. This can be used all the time. It will not harm anything in the damp environemnt. No worries about harm to rubber or plastic.

Additional steps would be to introduce more outside air. This can be adjusted through the HVAC system.

Also consider installing small commercial dehumidifiers in each locker room. The cause of many odors is related to odor. Even when moisture is not the cause, moisture helps bring odors to our noses and make the odor more noticable.

Spurling

I used to do a gym .. carpet in the basement always had a bad odor .. I thought maybe the concrete under the carpet never really dried .. the members would get out of the showers and drip on to the carpet .. then the water absorbs into the concrete .. and since it wouldnt completely dry .. it would create a musty smell .. I recommended rolling up the carpet and sealing the concrete ..

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
try replacing the air filters for the heating system

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
first thought was the carpets need a better cleaning, probably just one stepped.

what about that Hydroxl deodourizing system that was at Mikefest? Supposed to be better than ozone and safe to be in the room.

Back
Top Bottom