Hack is a postive word: DYI TM(s)

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Hack (noun): jury-rig or improvise something inelegant but effective, usually as a temporary solution to a problem...aint nuttin wrong with with some hillbilly ingenuity!

Lets talk about building your own TM whether it mounted in van or portable.. I was fascinated by this site: https://pressurewasher.net/sirocco-vacuum-systems/
Check out the engine driven portable.. This prompted me to start this thread.

I might give it a try..I am good with a welder machine, builder, can get by with autocad, and I am a engineering hack(a good thing), and mechanic.

-Has anyone built a TM? Tell us your tale..
-Pro and Con? please do tell...
-is it really worth it?
-Ideal setup, please list part mainly: blower, pump, engine and heating...

Pics of your DIY TMs if you got em....

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I remember reading an old cleanfax mag where someone was selling homemade portables with vac motors placed on top of a 55 gallon drum. The concept is not new but as chavez says the time is wasted when making one yourself.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
-is it really worth it?

no pics, but attempted a home built in '92 out of necessity (because I was broke and stupid enough to think I knew what I was doing)

components were good (water cooled Kabota in-line 3 cylinder, Roots 47, Warner diaphragm pump)

problems in the engineering were driving the blower
Smoked belts regular and tensioner pullies breaking often

if I had a full blow fab shop, I'd consider building one.
But I'd copy/clone a simple proven design that's been in the field for years ...like maybe the TnT or TCS' Warrior, etc

I'd also go with no larger than a 45 blower .
there's more than a few "backyard" builders that do all'ite with 36 and 45 blowers
It seems more troubles start to manifest with trying to drive larger blowers

..L.T.A.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Hack (noun): jury-rig or improvise something inelegant but effective, usually as a temporary solution to a problem...aint nuttin wrong with with some hillbilly ingenuity!

Lets talk about building your own TM whether it mounted in van or portable.. I was fascinated by this site: https://pressurewasher.net/sirocco-vacuum-systems/
Check out the engine driven portable.. This prompted me to start this thread.

I might give it a try..I am good with a welder machine, builder, can get by with autocad, and I am a engineering hack(a good thing), and mechanic.

-is it really worth it?

Pics of your DIY TMs if you got em....
If you're low on funds, have the spare time, and want to get in it the cheap way, I'd look for a rusted out prochem truck mount, strip it down, paint it, and fix what's wrong with it.

On the other hand, if you're new in this business and have another job to pay the bills, I'd finance a good machine and use the spare time to focus on building the customers. I see that you're in Reno, NV. I hear that the market and economy in our business is awesome over there, so it shouldn't be hard to get a solid customer base to pay for that truck mount you financed. Buy a proven design that won't break down.

Reactions: Able 1
Name
Nate W.
Mike Draper and his steam punk was a work of art... Tommy's VW TM is a power house with a lot of ingenuity put into it, especially the poor mans E-idle and waterbox preheater using the oil cooler..

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
I have build my own...

I have 3 operational that I used in my company.

They are more engineered for stone/ tile and grout. As there are not that many hi pressure units. Also used to use for stone slurry recovery on grinds.

They are a smaller footprint, thus allowing more Room for all the equipment we carry

They are also heat exchange.

There has been a bit of trial an error for the simplest heat control under hi pressure. We run up to 2k.

I will show when I finish my Promaster

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I built my own but when I say that, I also had professional help in fabricating and assembly. Then tweaked it it about over the years. 18 HP Honda, Sutorbilt 4mp blower, cat 290 pump, lg 3ht propane heater. Parts were scavenged from other units except the motor and heater. Been reliable for the last 12 years or so. Rebuilt the engine once at 5000 hours. Blower is belt driven and my belts last a long time.

Reactions: DAT and BIG WOOD

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
no pics, but attempted a home built in '92 out of necessity (because I was broke and stupid enough to think I knew what I was doing)

components were good (water cooled Kabota in-line 3 cylinder, Roots 47, Warner diaphragm pump)

problems in the engineering were driving the blower
Smoked belts regular and tensioner pullies breaking often

if I had a full blow fab shop, I'd consider building one.
But I'd copy/clone a simple proven design that's been in the field for years ...like maybe the TnT or TCS' Warrior, etc

I'd also go with no larger than a 45 blower .
there's more than a few "backyard" builders that do all'ite with 36 and 45 blowers
It seems more troubles start to manifest with trying to drive larger blowers

..L.T.A.

Yeah, i wanted to follow simple design judson or TCS. I have been looking at those a lot. It takes me back when I was building go carts(big size) with motor cycle engines. Just the because of the simplicity of the design.Thats why i am seriously gonna attempt it. Buy parts at time and build it in local frabrication shop. I figure larger would need bigger engine, more torque, and effective pulleys system to maintain consistant RPMs while reducing wear on engine.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I built my own but when I say that, I also had professional help in fabricating and assembly. Then tweaked it it about over the years. 18 HP Honda, Sutorbilt 4mp blower, cat 290 pump, lg 3ht propane heater. Parts were scavenged from other units except the motor and heater. Been reliable for the last 12 years or so. Rebuilt the engine once at 5000 hours. Blower is belt driven and my belts last a long time.
You have pictures?

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
L
I have build my own...

I have 3 operational that I used in my company.

They are more engineered for stone/ tile and grout. As there are not that many hi pressure units. Also used to use for stone slurry recovery on grinds.

They are a smaller footprint, thus allowing more Room for all the equipment we carry

They are also heat exchange.

There has been a bit of trial an error for the simplest heat control under hi pressure. We run up to 2k.

I will show when I finish my Promaster
Looking forward to seeing the pics of the machine

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
If you're low on funds, have the spare time, and want to get in it the cheap way, I'd look for a rusted out prochem truck mount, strip it down, paint it, and fix what's wrong with it.

On the other hand, if you're new in this business and have another job to pay the bills, I'd finance a good machine and use the spare time to focus on building the customers. I see that you're in Reno, NV. I hear that the market and economy in our business is awesome over there, so it shouldn't be hard to get a solid customer base to pay for that truck mount you financed. Buy a proven design that won't break down.
There are so many carpet cleaner in reno/sparks/carson...many are not doing a very good job because custy dont want to pay..

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Mike Draper and his steam punk was a work of art... Tommy's VW TM is a power house with a lot of ingenuity put into it, especially the poor mans E-idle and waterbox preheater using the oil cooler..

Whos tommy and mike draper? Do they have videos that showcase their design?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Here's some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20170705_093940.jpg
    IMG_20170705_093940.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_20170705_093958.jpg
    IMG_20170705_093958.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_20170705_093949.jpg
    IMG_20170705_093949.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 263

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Cfm is about 300 at 3200 rpm, I usually run it at 14 inches hg. Heat will fluctuate between 200-230 degrees f depending on the outside temperature. Although I designed it, the main assembly was done by a company specializing in industrial vacuum systems. Cost was about $8000. I probably wouldn't do it again. For just a little more you can buy a nice heat exchange unit that will come with a warranty and dealer service. This machine was designed so all the components are easily replaceable which means I will probably have it for the rest of my life. I would really like to have a heat exchange machine like a Legend or a SS 370 but just can't justify getting rid of this one.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Didn't Draper say it cost him 2 or 3 times what he could have bought one for.
I think it cost him $25,000 if I remember correctly..

I would get an old Prochem with a good frame and rebuild it, maybe change the HX to a cheaper design, or go with a propane burner if that doesn't bother you..

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom