Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melted with formic acid

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I want to find out if anyone has every had to replace a carpet because of the product that they used.

I'm looking for both results (fading, bleeding, odor) and inspection/claim/warranty issues.

-JB-

Name
JB
Jim can you put a "never" selection on there, I would like to see the results w/out messing it up on you.

thanks. JB

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have never had to replace anything except a curtain

Farenheit251

Replaced one room when hydroforce tipped and a stupid distributor had purple dye in the prespray that wouldn't come out.
Every few years I get blamed for filling the carpet with white powder.

John Watson

Can't remember any replacements due to cleaning problems or conditions caused by our crews except for giving a client a sizable credit towards their next cleaning when an employee didn't block and tab properly and resulted in furniture dye stains.

Rex Tyus

Vacuum belt slipped off track and burned a few streaks in a berber style olefin. My brilliant assistant didn't think that streak he saw mattered. He was JUST vacuuming after all :evil: :evil: .

Still a touchy subject over a year later.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks guys

I added in some categories based on the stories you've posted, and a few I just remembered.

Of course what I'm looking for is anyone who has ever "bought one" because they got "caught using the wrong stuff".

I want first hand stories, not urban legends you heard at some class.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I would bet the biggest reason for buying something is a shity hose explosion

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
"Shitty Hose Explosion" would fit under equipment malfunction.

NOTE: When I just updated the poll, it blew out a few early comments. Please resubmit.

TimP

Never had a problem. But just over 2 years in the field. I'll probably eat something eventually it seems.

Not worried about carpet though since I can get it at wholesale prices..... :D

G

I bumped a cheap picture frame with my elbow in a real narrow hall once. It fell apart before it even hit the floor. Mrs. Piff didn't care if I replaced it or not, but I did anyway.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Jim,

before I was a registered inspector, I was called to a clients home that had another cleaner 'stuff' his new carpet.

less than 12 months old. 100% wool cut pile. Had a small spot on the carpet from a pet I think. Called a company that started since me with a very close name and asked for me by name. The other owner said I wasn't available. He went out and cleaned this with a porty with a strong detergent that was NOT ok for wool in his tank.

Everywhere he overlapped his strokes, it left it a different colour. There was another problem with excessive felting and distortion of the original area. I was able to correct this area to say 90% but they were reluctant to allow me to check the other streaky problem.

Unfortunately, because I had already touched the carpet, I was unable to represent the owner and they called another cleaner who didn't pick the problem up well (being a personal friend of the other cleaner wasn't a good choice either).

These poeple STILL have this carpet after probalby 3-4 years. They work as claims handlers in the insurance company and claimed and were declined!!

The cleaner refused flatly to accept any responsibility.

I'd love to get onto this one. I even asked if the carpet was replaced to give me a section for testing but it never got replaced.

I don't know if I have any photos I can find or not so will check later in the day when I return from work.

John

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Whoever checked "removed stain resistance", please post your story or PM me.

If you actually had to replace a carpet becuase you removed the stain resistance and it was proven that it was you that did it, I'd really like to know.

If you tell me privately, I will not reveal your name anywhere.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
How come you don't have a "Temp got slash-happy with a carpet knife" option. BSed my way out of replacing it with some "creative" seamwork. We still do his house and his car every 3-6 months for next to free. He seems to like that.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've never had a hose/fitting problem that did enough damage to require carpet replacement, but we once replaced a sisal that a tech "didn't recognize as sisal" and another that had soil wicking that the tech kept trying to bleach out using an oxidizer.

No instances of replacement that I've heard of due to someone just applying the wrong product. I haven't been able to strip fluorochemical from carpet on purpose. I'd be interested to know how it can be done.

PS: Examples of problems leading to carpet replacement based on first-hand observation from long ago inspections:

#1) - Color loss. Usually due to use of oxidizers/brighteners/boosters. Cleaner would (usually unsuccessfully) blame the chemical manufacturer, the carpet manufacturer, the sun, high traffic, cooking oils, fume fading, phases of the moon...

#2) - Agitation and pH damage to wool fiber. Usually done by in-house staff, but sometimes by professional cleaners.

#3) - Yellowing from optical brighteners. Cleaner might have had a shot at including the chemical manufacturer in sharing the cost of replacement. Prochem had this problem with the original Dry Slurry.

#4) - Yellowing from UV inhibitors. Applicators were pretty responsible about paying for replacement.

#5) - Rapid soil attraction from silicone applied over fluorochemically treated carpet. Applicators were pretty responsible about paying for replacement.

Overwetting was very common, but didn't require an inspection to determine who paid for the replacement.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Right after I bought my company I had to replace a 3 piece sofa grouping (4500.00) because of browning and twenty years later they are still in use in the exact spot they were in 20 yrs. ago.

The Preacher

Doug, you should fly LAdWigs Muther-in-LAw in to make ANOTHER browning problem on that 20 year old still in use sofa!!!! :shock:

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Jim Pemberton said:
Whoever checked "removed stain resistance", please post your story or PM me.

If you actually had to replace a carpet becuase you removed the stain resistance and it was proven that it was you that did it, I'd really like to know.

If you tell me privately, I will not reveal your name anywhere.

But you can then PM me and leave out the name, because that's something I really want to know.

Greg Loe

I need to vote xxx never been caught. Just kidding. But have seen carpet that was still soaked with their cleaning agent. Burns from and iron on a red spot from another cleaner.

I try to believe I know what I'm doing, but I think luck has come into play a few times. Wool rug had very slight bleeding in a few areas, don't know if it was me, owner had no idea if it was there or not. He couldn't even see it when I pointed it out. Lucky?

Furniture, corrected my own browning once. WOW, lucky!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Great feedback so far everyone.

I appreciate everything you're sharing, but I'm specifically looking for carpet issues.

When this thread exhausts itself I'll give you my reasons.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I had a gallon of slly's I left in the car & forgot about leak & eat the carpet out of the floor board of my car. I didn't replace it though.n I just let the wife drive it now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom