Hand sewing Diagram

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
This is examples of hand sewing techniques. This is from the CFI Resource Guide. Remember this when spacing a stitch you never want to allow more tha 1/2 inch spaceing. Every insertion of the needle shold be appr 3/8 to 1/2 at most.
scan0008.jpg

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Most of the time the whip stich . To keep a very smallpattern in place from running off I use a cross stitch. I hope you enjoy it.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Loose lay rugs should be made with a cross or baseball stitch. You can get away with a whip if reinforced with scrim and latex. The quality of the stitch is a little less critical when the carpet is stretched in.

Stevea

Harry,

Great information, I just got to see this and saved it, I will even share it with the class I am at right now in TN. I am sure everyone will appreciate it. We did a small portion on hand sewing yesterday and will do a little more today.

Thank you for the wonderful information and very timely.

Steve

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Thanks Guys glad you like it. Practice makes perfect. A few statements about some of these stiches. The more technical the stitch as Bryan said the more money also you need to charge. An Axminster stich will be the most expensive. The cross stitch is a great stitch for mitres as well when you need to stretch real hard . It is a very strong stitch. The whip or (overcast) prefered name is most used on Wiltons , velvets and axminsters. This is the most basic stitch out there. Once again this stitch in multiple length can cause pattern runoff . You may want to lock it every 1 ft or so. The travelling lock stitch is about the best for locking in the pattern. The crow ft stitch is used for padding and the Teddy bear Stitch I used on some ingrains.

Stevea

Harry,

Yes I did and they were impressed there were so many types of different stitches. Thanks for posting it and making me look good, at least at that point.

SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom