Hardwood woes

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I'm unhappy. Thinking it was a nice gift, my wife and I are trying to apply a water based finish (Pall-X color sealer then Pall-X 96 finish) to our son's floors.
Careful prep with floor stripper to remove wax or grease, CRB scrub, post mopping. Almost all of the floor took the sealer just fine, with some patches drawing up as if they are hydrophobic.

If it is wax, why isn't the whole floor doing it? What is the magic bullet to solve this?

What bothers me is that I spent $500 for materials and received no specialty cleaner, no literature and no actual instructions to go by. Anyone have suggestions?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Might be some type of oil finish or oily material left on the floor from prior maintenance attempts. If it's not too late, take some odorless mineral spirits and some steel wool and scour those areas. Let it evaporate off for a few days and try again.

Reactions: dealtimeman

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Well, I'm spraying stripper and carving it up with a maroon pad. It does seem to be localized to one room. I only have today to do the job and I'm in Georgia.

Shoulda used VCT floor finish!

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Thanks, Lee, I am trying to apply a topical finish to a (basically good shape) oak floor. If it is going to have to be sanded, we're in a whole new mess.

This all reminds me of an Interlink seminar my chemical pimp held. The rep emphasized that if the floor had EVER been waxed, it was a no-go. Now how in blazes would anyone be able to know?

I'm in a throat cutting mood and at the moment, recommend yall stay as far away from water finishes as possible.

Larry Cobb, build a water based lacquer (that's what this stuff is) that will bond to butter and I'll come wash the windows of your YUUUGE mansion. You'll be rich!

Thing is, there are acrylic paint primers out there that will bond to just about anything. And the clock keeps ticking before the youngsters return...

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
IMG_1907.JPG

A room with the satin finish applied, looking quite nice. Same protocol as below, strip, rinse, seal and coat.

IMG_1905.JPG

The sealant, drawing up. This is after stripping and maroon padding twice, with rinse and dry. I was down to the stain on the oak!

It is confined to this breakfast room. So anyhow, I just applied finish coats and it looks fine for a free "Dad job."

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Willy P

Name
Willy P
[QUOTE="Old Coastie, post: 4472428, member: 53548" I'm in Georgia.

[/QUOTE]

There's you problem right there.:biggrin:

Lee nailed it- an area rug for the holidays!

Reactions: Old Coastie

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
No telling, Steve. I took it down to the stain, using stripper and rinsing. I think you just take your best shot and surprisingly, it comes out pretty good.

Reactions: steve_64

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom