Heat exchanger

steve_64

I found an air leak in my heat exchanger. It's the large round one on top that uses the coolant. I'm assuming it isn't a major issue but needs to be fixed.
It's a 2002 WM 1200.

Anyone know a fix for this?

steve_64

Everything is fine as far as I know except I have a small hole that is blowing air. That exchanger hooks to another that looks like a small muffler that blows out the blower exhaust through the floors

steve_64

Good idea.
I'm friends with a guy who owns a muffler and break shop. He could probably weld it if it won't hurt anything.
I think the air is just blower exhaust. I just don't want to have to replace it.

steve_64

Yeah I'm getting good heat. Just want to be sure I'm not screwing something up.

steve_64

I tried taking a pic without removing the cover but it wasn't happening. I cleaned my concrete patio and garage floor with my spinner and cleaned some brick and limestone around my fireplace with my new tile tool in between the rain today.

My friend at the muffler shop said he doesn't have luck welding things like that so maybe JB weld is in the future.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ok if it's a blower hx the most likely source or cause of a noticeable "air leak" would be trash in the exchanger causing back pressure.

steve_64

I noticed a rattling noise with it too. I really need a new blower so maybe I'll try and run it till it dies and replace all of it. Might have to call Modernistic and see what it will cost me.

steve_64

The blower knocks when starting and shutting down. It had been stuck and broke free with a pipe wrench I believe.

I was wondering too if a 59 would fit instead of the 56.

steve_64

Does anyone know if bluebaron heat exchangers are any good? Talked to them today and they sound good. Just want to make sure I'm getting a good product. I'm still shopping too.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
Steve, I have bought a hx from BB. I tried to call and left a couple of messages as I wanted a receipt for tax purposes and he never returned my calls. Not happy with customer service and I'm glad I didn't need something more important.

Reactions: steve_64

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I alwez cut the ends off....
Applied air pressure...found the leak...
Then silver soldered the pinhole....

steve_64

At the connector at the weld above it and a pinhole in the center of it towards the bottom.
KIMG0288.jpg

steve_64

KIMG0293.jpg

I have to take a second look but I thought that muffler in the back was a HX also but now I don't think so.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
How do those quick connects work on a HX? Do they have to be replaced often? That is a lot of heat on the seals and it seems as though it would be a weak spot.

steve_64

How do those quick connects work on a HX? Do they have to be replaced often? That is a lot of heat on the seals and it seems as though it would be a weak spot.
This is all new to me. I imagine they are not the same as what's on our tools.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom