HELLO MY NAME IS ADAM HALE!!!

Mikey P

Administrator
-1st off, do you ever plan on getting back into the Supply/Manufactureing side of this racket?
And will that effect your following answers?

-How and when did you get into the Carpet Cleaning business?

-Please explain how you got your gig at Blueline.

-How long will it take you to get your new cleaning biz back to where your old one was?

-What are you doing different this time around?

-Is there still a legitimate market for Big Trucks in your opinion?

-Please tell the audience here at least four things they most likely don't know about the manufacturing end of this industry.

-Your truck burned to the ground last night while you and the new misses were heating it up in the back. Fred Boyle is going to buy you a new van and machine of your choice... What's it gonna be?

-In your opinion who are the top three suppliers in this country?

-Having spent far too much time at Customer Appreciation Days across the nation what can you summarize about the average Carpet Cleaner.

-Give us the low down on your bad back.

-What Truckmount Manufacturer..
Has the best fit and finish?
The best customer service?
The greatest chance of surviving the next 5 years?
Would you never buy from?

-What is your favorite Pre Spray?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
That is a lot of questions. I will do my best.

-1st off, do you ever plan on getting back into the Supply/Manufactureing side of this racket?
And will that effect your following answers?

The only way I would get back into the manufacturing end of it would be for big money. I would however love to teach. I taught a few little “ get to know BLUEline and Vortex “ classes and loved it. The guys attending the classes seemed to like it. I would love to teach the CTI chem. class they do. I would teach 2-3 of those a month and clean the rest of the time.

-How and when did you get into the Carpet Cleaning business?

I worked as an Electronics Tech for Micron Technology and hated it. I wanted to start a janitorial business but after researching it out I learned there was more money to be made in carpet cleaning. I bought a portable in 1996 and starting cleaning with NO knowledge at all. I did 2 rooms and a hall for $34.00. $10.00 each additional room. I can’t believe it now but that is what I started out doing.

Please explain how you got your gig at Blueline.

I got the gig and BLUEline as the Vortex sales manager by my raging good looks. Ok, I was the first V owner to modify my truck to run 2.5 inch hose. That got me noticed I guess. I helped BLUEline with some Vortex training and helped them with their booth at Connections. They offered me a job and we took it. My wife at the time was in bad health and I needed to get her to a warmer climate. AZ. was perfect for that. Thom Fielding and Mark Loften were 2 of the greatest bosses a guy could have. They really did care about me and my family. I will be forever grateful to those guys.

How long will it take you to get your new cleaning biz back to where your old one was?

My old cleaning biz did about $250,000 a year in cleaning. We had a Vortex and a small box truck with one employee. I bet it takes me 3 years to get back to those numbers. Starting over in this economy is a little tough.

What are you doing different this time around?

I started out High End. .39 cents a sq. and up. The first company I started we were cheap and worked our way up to high end.

Is there still a legitimate market for Big Trucks in your opinion?

A big truck is perfect for guys that want to dual wand with lots of suck and heat. Going back to a van and small slide in has been tough. A big truck is not for everyone but there is still a place for it. I loved my V. We would dual wand almost every job. We made way more money in less time with it. It pisses Martin off but we did get plenty of walk ups from people seeing the truck.

-Please tell the audience here at least four things they most likely don't know about the manufacturing end of this industry.

1. All of them hate the boards and think you all are complete idiots.
2. Many would sell their own mother for a commission check.
3. When a leasing company comes back with an offer tell them you have a better offer and they need to do better. Every leasing company in the word can give you a better deal. Most guys I would tell that to could negotiate 100-200 dollars off a MONTH! When getting a lease always fight for a better deal.
4. Mark up is unreal!!

-Your truck burned to the ground last night while you and the new misses were heating it up in the back. Fred Boyle is going to buy you a new van and machine of your choice... What's it gonna be?

I think I would buy a Big Daddy with all the bells and whistles. I would put it in a small box truck. I would also look at the AT very close. When Vortex gets up and going again I would look there as well.

In your opinion who are the top three suppliers in this country?

BP in Kansas City ( the people are great )
Pemberton Jim is the best
JonDon St. Louis

Having spent far too much time at Customer Appreciation Days across the nation what can you summarize about the average Carpet Cleaner.

The CAD days were a lot of work. The average cleaner has little knowledge of how to run a profitable business. Most can’t run a wand for crap.

-What Truckmount Manufacturer..
Has the best fit and finish?

BLUEline did. I guess Hydramaster now. AT for sure.

The best customer service?

Hydramaster and AT

The greatest chance of surviving the next 5 years?

AT will survive because cleaning machines are a small side note. Hydramaster has tons of foreign money backing them. Prochem’s customer service went completely in the toilet but it getting better now.
BP has truck loads of cash, has cornered the market in many areas, the little guys have to move to BP or get pushed out. However, I do hate the MLM thing they are doing now.

Would you never buy from?

I would never clean again if I had to buy from Magic Wand.

What is your favorite Pre Spray?

I have tried them all. All do well if you have dwell, high flow, good heat and know how to stroke a wand. When I did the CADs I would take a suit case home from every trip full of free samples. I cleaned almost a full year using samples I stole, I mean got. LOL I have a 5 gallon bucket of PowerMax but the second that is used up I will go back to BP Bio-Break. I still think that is the best bang for the buck

Mikey P

Administrator
The very fact AeroTech didn't IMMEDIATELY snatch Adam up for a National Sales Manager, just shows how out of touch AT is with the industry, you can only sell so many trucks when Hicks and Rampage and Wiz are your sales force.

Sure, they'll be around...but it'll just be what it always is...a struggling bean counting sideline biz.

Every TM manufacturer will be at M6F but AT.
The BB crowd is their target audience and they want to keep their grudge going with me.

I like Ted and D'ette but that Brian guy is a fool.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
3. When a leasing company comes back with an offer tell them you have a better offer and they need to do better. Every leasing company in the word can give you a better deal. Most guys I would tell that to could negotiate 100-200 dollars off a MONTH! When getting a lease always fight for a better deal.
4. Mark up is unreal!!

Uh i think we ALL knew these....(if you didnt your a dumb ass and climb back under your rock) its just nice to hear it from someone that has been there...

great questions...thanks Adam

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes

Jill and Bert are great the rest of them are lazy, blow hard, Incompetent azz holes.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
ACE said:

Jill and Bert are great the rest of them are lazy, blow hard, Incompetent azz holes.

Jill is great.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Of course they hate the boards, they can no longer pull the wool over peoples eyes "I've never heard of that problem" "Funny your unit is the first one to do that".

The boards have given the common man a voice, they are now forced to be responsive and responsible or risk loss of business.

Idiots? They can think what they like, we can't control what they think, but we can control what is being said about their products. Especially when something is misrepresented or has problems or defects.

If I were them I would do has John Labarbara and Bill Bruders have and listen to what my customers and potential customers are asking for, as well as responding to issues that arise with their products.

Collectively the bulletin boards are powerful and only a true idiot would think different!

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Well I've been debating commenting on these specific comments but either the idiot in me won out or that side of me that feels painting everybody with the same brush is wrong won you be the judge.

Absolutely not true! What they hate is being categorized as only in it for the business, having people take there personal attacks to a public forum, having to justify why they advertize with the various media outlets when it's really about getting a message out not a political statement. I don't know why Adam feels this way but if he worked for our company he wouldn't.
Hmmmm see answer to question number one. I'm sure statements such as this make people on the supply side feel good. Once again not my experience.
These are negotiations of course but I can tell you that most all manufacturers recieve nothing from the leasing company so I'm not sure what this has to do with the question asked.

4. Mark up is unreal!!
Once again not true at all manufacturers make far less on equipment or parts than distributors and nothing compared to what cleaners and restorers make. If markup is so great why are so many companies struggling to keep their doors open.

Finally Adam I'm confused with this statement "When Vortex gets up and going again I would look there as well." Do you know something I don't? We have 2 V's in production right now not sure what you have heard but we continue to produce and support the unit.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Bill

I have never met you and don’t want to get into your pissing match. Mike asked me MY opinion so I gave it.

Absolutely not true! What they hate is being categorized as only in it for the business, having people take there personal attacks to a public forum, having to justify why they advertize with the various media outlets when it's really about getting a message out not a political statement. I don't know why Adam feels this way but if he worked for our company he wouldn't.

I feel this way because I sat at dinner with many ( if not most ) people in manufacturing and many suppliers and I don’t think I ever sat thru a whole meal without the boards being brought up and time and time again “idiot” was said. I say that because I heard it over and over again all across the US. No I do not work for you and I have NO idea if you sit around writing love letters to Mike and tre or not. You may be different, but I promise you, you are not the norm.

Hmmmm see answer to question number one. I'm sure statements such as this make people on the supply side feel good. Once again not my experience.

3. When a leasing company comes back with an offer tell them you have a better offer and they need to do . Every leasing company in the word can give you a better deal. Most guys I would tell that to could negotiate 100-200 dollars off a MONTH! When getting a lease always fight for a better deal.
These are negotiations of course but I can tell you that most all manufacturers recieve nothing from the leasing company so I'm not sure what this has to do with the question asked.

4. Mark up is unreal!!
Once again not true at all manufacturers make far less on equipment or parts than distributors and nothing compared to what cleaners and restorers make. If markup is so great why are so many companies struggling to keep their doors open.

I do have to apologize. These statements were mainly meant towards the supplier’s side of the industry. I guess I lumped manufactures and suppliers in the same category. Sorry my bad.

It is true a supplier makes more money off a truck mount than the manufacturer. Manufacturing costs are unreal!

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Mike
Every Vortex is a custom order these days in terms of what people want in a package so there isn't really a basic unit to display. Also we have to trade out machines so often from one display unit to another that it doesn't make sense to build out something completely. Once you build a V it's not really practical to go back and add or delete from the package.
All that being said you never know what could happen 3 months from now.

Name
Ron lippold
well that just sounded like a bunch of bullshit to me. and yes im a happy V owner. Man up bill AND BRING AL FULLY LOADED V TO THE SHOW..............

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
That would be very valuable feedback to all those who have a vested interest. Any suggestions for improvement would be nice as well. Be as blunt, direct and honest as you can. I respect your opinion and feedback. Let her rip!

I have owned my machine for 2 years now, the only thing I am really disappointed in is the solution hose that came with the truck, I would never have a live solution hose reel again. It just cooks the hose that is left on the live reel

the other is the 2" vacuum hose, many places on the hose had flat spots. Most of those flat spot have collapsed under vacuum

When a leasing company comes back with an offer tell them you have a better offer and they need to do better. Every leasing company in the word can give you a better deal. Most guys I would tell that to could negotiate 100-200 dollars off a MONTH! When getting a lease always fight for a better deal
true

Please tell the audience here at least four things they most likely don't know about the manufacturing end of this industry.

I hear this from supppliers

Greenie

Bill Bruders said:
Well I've been debating commenting on these specific comments but either the idiot in me won out or that side of me that feels painting everybody with the same brush is wrong won you be the judge.

Having built an "internet" company that sells far and wide, I am going to have to side with Adam, I don't care if his statement only represents 90% of the Mfgs. and Suppliers out there, it is still a truthful statement.

The industry could do with a few less arrogant chest pounders who think they can push their weight around because they have a board of directors and some investors, at the end of the day they are selling to the: in the trenches owner operator, and their Equip. and Chems aren't ANY better than a smaller label Co., and he/she the Cleaner will hold those arrogant pricks to their word via the power of the internet....and that...my friends is what "they" hate about all of us

This is a two-parter, one one hand I tend to agree with Bill, it is very subjective, on the other hand I've heard it more than once that a comapny like HydraMaster would be hurting right now if not for it's finance division, Hathaway Capital, so take that for what it is. I know when I sell a piece of equipment, I don't make any MORE if the guy gets a good deal or a bad deal, I just get a check for the purchase price. Now that said I wonder in Adam's example was this more typical of a $15K slide in or a $100K Vortex? Cause that makes a huge difference in that payment differential?.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Shawn, You ask for it here it is !!!!!

Last year at Winterfest in McKeesport, I approached a member of Legends Brands management team to voice some concerns with the two new Vortex's I had bought. I had heard there was a good chance that they would be purchasing Blueline Equipment Company. I told him that there where some major warranty issues that they would be inheriting. I gave him my cell number and told him I would be glad to help them any way I could. Guess what: no call. :roll:
After several weeks of denying that Legends was going to purchase Blueline, the sale closed. I contacted Legends/Blueline about the blower issues I was experiencing. I had a conversation with Bill Bruders about these issues, and with a lot of support from Jim Pemberton (the distributor I purchased the Vortex's from) I was able to get the repairs completed.

I am writing for one purpose: I bought Butler's equipment for 25 years and got frustrated with the manufacturer ignoring my request for improvements that I felt where necessary. That is the reason I switch manufacturers and went to Vortex. When I started the negotiation with Blueline, one of my requests was for the 240 gallon waste tank. Shawn said that it was on their list of improvements but at that time they where not ready to produce it yet. I told him that the only way I would buy the Vortex was if it included the large tank. They gave me a quote, I agreed, and they built it. I thought that finally a company existed who would build what I wanted. After working with the first Vortex for 6 months, I placed the order for the second Vortex. Chuck Cushman and Kevin Miller were great to work with. Adam Hale was involved with this one and did a great job of getting my request to the production team. I would think it would be in the manufacturer's best interest to find out what the customer wants, just like I do everyday. Our business continues to grow even now because we ask what we can do to give the customer what they want.
I have made several requests to Legend Brands for a customer focus group for Vortex and think that Mikeyfest in Nashville would be a great time to meet.

Mikey P

Administrator
If Legends does wish to continue with the Vortex project they should most defiantly take advantage of the V owners coming to M6F.

Perhaps having it on Thursday would be best.

Mikey P

Administrator
Bill Bruders said:
Mike
Every Vortex is a custom order these days in terms of what people want in a package so there isn't really a basic unit to display. Also we have to trade out machines so often from one display unit to another that it doesn't make sense to build out something completely. Once you build a V it's not really practical to go back and add or delete from the package.
All that being said you never know what could happen 3 months from now.

Bill

I wouldn't expect you to drive or flat bed a new Vortex out to TN for 200 broke dicks to drool over.
I was just hoping that a modern version is in the area.

I think this group has far more interest in seeing a Sapphire machine built from the ground up.

Besides, I have it on good authority that Yappy will be driving up his new Fauxtex 7000QI up from Houston

Greenie said:
Bill Bruders said:

Having built an "internet" company that sells far and wide, I am going to have to side with Adam, I don't care if his statement only represents 90% of the Mfgs. and Suppliers out there, it is still a truthful statement.

The industry could do with a few less arrogant chest pounders who think they can push their weight around because they have a board of directors and some investors, at the end of the day they are selling to the: in the trenches owner operator, and their Equip. and Chems aren't ANY better than a smaller label Co., and he/she the Cleaner will hold those arrogant pricks to their word via the power of the internet....and that...my friends is what "they" hate about all of us

This is a two-parter, one one hand I tend to agree with Bill, it is very subjective, on the other hand I've heard it more than once that a comapny like HydraMaster would be hurting right now if not for it's finance division, Hathaway Capital, so take that for what it is. I know when I sell a piece of equipment, I don't make any MORE if the guy gets a good deal or a bad deal, I just get a check for the purchase price. Now that said I wonder in Adam's example was this more typical of a $15K slide in or a $100K Vortex? Cause that makes a huge difference in that payment differential?.
I doubt hathaway capital is keeping Hydramaster going right now....I used to do trade shows for them and I know the margins they have and thats NOT keeping Hydramaster going...NO WAY!

Name
Lee Stockwell
Is it true that the machine will be reintroduced by its new owner as the Nortex?

I'd guess that new owner is North Texas Machine and Tool out of Wichita Falls Texas?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom