Mikey P

Administrator
Must haves:

• 13 inch or smaller head
  • long hose for uph
  • Dirt Cup/no bags
  • on board tools
  • cogged belt preferred
  • Handle can be taken off the end of the hose.
  • minimal filters to clean
  • Brush roll turns off for uph and hard floors
  • Handle up front for vacuuming stair cases
  • reasonable price
  • says "professional" on it.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL Hey I like wimins!

One of the guys here had a step daughter selling Kirby's several years back and she asked if I would let her do a demo. I said hell no, she was a tall beautiful amazon, blonde, blue eyes, twenties. Uhht uhhh no way I don't need and expensive vacuum, she was way too cute to say no to.

She caught one of my supervisors and he ended up paying $3,500.00 for all the bells and whistles, he might still be making payments. :lol:

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I have a DC-40 and it sucks, not in a good way either.

I just bought a Roomba 770 after several recommendations from other people with multiple dogs. Not that you could use a Roomba on the truck, but I will let you all know how it works out here at the Rusty Pug retirement Ranch.

Take care,
Lisa

hogjowl

Idiot™
I wouldn't know a DC-40 from an F-4 Phantom jet, but what I CAN tell you is this:

A couple of years ago, I can onto a job site where the woman was vacuuming with her brand spanking new Dyson ball version vac. She assured me that I didn't need to vacuum, because she was just finishing up. Of course, I made an excuse to do it anyway and I did so with my old model (yellow) whatever it's version name is, standard Dyson vac. I removed about three canisters of soil out of her house. When she wasn't looking, I took her vac and vacuumed a small section and came away with the opinion that the ball vac from Dyson was horrible.

About 6 months ago, I had to send in my current model for service. While talking to the lady from Dyson, she told me to, no matter what, hang onto my Dyson, because they no longer made it, and the current model was not nearly as good.

MY Dyson is a great vacuum, in fact, I would put it up against ANY vacuum on the market for it's vacuuming performance and ease of use.

But I'd probably have to go to Dyson and get a reconditioned vac if I needed a "new" one.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i tell ya we started using the dyson dc 28 discontinued now but ya can still find them.
i have had mine since mothers day of 2012.IM pretty impressed so far
if i get 2 yrs i will be happy camper.
they replaced it with a ball version interested to see if it holds up anyone have one yet?
ps my wife had the all floor model piece of crap dc 33 i think short cord i didnt like the dc 28 is the one to get

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Big Lots has the discontinued non-ball model on sale for $179. Local store is sold out. Will have more in a few days.

Lowe's has them for $299.

Reactions: hogjowl

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
We might could design our own. Or modify an existing design. Lisa? Eric? Larry? Tom? Greenie?

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
You might want to look into the Windsor Sensor SP. Prochem sells it as the P-12.

Disposable bags are a good thing. Every time you change the bag you are changing the filter. It allows for maximum airflow.
Most dirt cups still have a cloth bag that they are attached too. The cloth part needs to be cleaned properly buy pulling the bag inside out and brushing the bags to remove the fine dust that is imbedded in the cloth.
If this is not done regularly then the vacuum is restricted and the motors will overheat.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
You might want to look into the Windsor Sensor SP. Prochem sells it as the P-12.

Disposable bags are a good thing. Every time you change the bag you are changing the filter. It allows for maximum airflow.
Most dirt cups still have a cloth bag that they are attached too. The cloth part needs to be cleaned properly buy pulling the bag inside out and brushing the bags to remove the fine dust that is imbedded in the cloth.
If this is not done regularly then the vacuum is restricted and the motors will overheat.

+1 We've been using a PV12 for 13 years and it still works just as good as the day we took it out of the box. It was used in a janitorial company for the first few years and saw it's share of abuse and still picks up the dirt pretty well. The last Vac you will have to buy.

http://www.prochem.com/ViewCategories.aspx?Pid=771

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Don't know how you can think that the Shark picks up better. If you are really looking for the best vacuum and money is not the issue than I would go for a Windsor Versamatic. It is the vacuum that everyone has tried to copy.

Reactions: Jim Bethel

Mikey P

Administrator
Sharks are not made to last like those others but I will bet you a mortgage payment it will out clean any of those you mentioned

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Hey Mikey.

I've been watching this thread and deliberately staying out of it as I had no knowledge of a machine that met all the criteria you specified.

But, subjectively the thread seems to be going nowhere fast and so I wondered if you might be receptive to some observations?

Our business has two complimentary divisions. Carpet cleaning services and vacuum cleaner repairs, parts and service.

We see a few machines and get to try a lot of varied types out. Based on this I have come to think the following.

Real vacuum cleaners have a fan that is as close as possible to the carpet. No cheating, no putting the fan behind the dirt collector or bag. For maximum carpet pickup performance the dirt must go through the fan on the way to the bag. In other words, unless the machine is a dirty fan "direct air system" design, you've already lost because the frictional losses and pressure drop of clean air "indirect air systems" is too large to be effective.

You want the fan openning to be as wide as possible and in the centre of the cleaning head. There is no point in biasing the air delivery to only a portion of the cleaning head; and there is no point in having the openning to the brush roll channel insufficiently sized to effect debris removal from the head.

Bagless designs inhibit airflow. When air is forced to change direction many times, travel further than it should, or flow turbulently it's wasting efficiency and accordingly performance. The air path should be as short and as wide as possible. Think about how traffic flows on a freeway, a short route that's nice and direct and has plenty of lanes is WAY better than a longer, narrower long winding route with insufficient lanes.

As the ladies say..... Size matters. Where filters are concerned this is absolutely true. Rip a bagless vacuum cleaner apart and get a ruler and measure the filter surface area. Now measure the filter area of a typical dirty fan machine's disposable bag. HUGE difference right? Any air that enters the machine had to escape, if it can't than the air behind it can't move on, and neither can the air behind that. Furthermore, many bagless vacuum cleaner manufacturers make outrageously fallacious claims about not losing performance. Yet these same manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure users clean their filters. If cyclonic separation were the best thing ever, then there would be no need for filters, and yet bagless machines have filters and they get soiled, why?

What happens when our bagless machine with its' paltry filter area begins to dirty the filter?

Correct height adjustment matters. We need the machine to get close enough to the carpet that it can make contact, but not so close that it will wear the carpet, pull yarns or restrict airflow that will impede soil recovery. So adjusting the height from the rear isn't ideal because it will simply - push - the vacuum head into the carpet effectively cholking it. So what is needed is for the height adjustment to allow the head to descend only as far as needed to permit the airflow to - lift - the carpet and allow air to be dragged all the way through the bottom and middle of the carpet and out the top. This way we get - deep- dry soil extraction.

So the height adjustment should be progressive and implemented on the front axle - not the rear.

So we now know we need;

Dirty fan setup
Centrally located air intake port
Short - wide air path
Large filter area - ideally disposable
Height adjustment on front axle

Sound like a particular - well known American made upright?

Grant

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
and my $149 Shark will out clean your $2000 Kirby any day of the week.

even funnier is that a POS $69 Bissell will out clean them both.

for three months until the beater bar catches flames.

Mikey P

Administrator
I really appreciate your comments Grant, don't get me wrong. But you need to do some real world side by sides. Theory is great and all but....no.

You too JB

Monzie

Name
Mike Brummett
Karcher/Tornado CV30/1 - Meets every criteria except the dust cup.. We have been using these for about 10 years and they rock. Great suction, lightweight but very sturdy. No tools needed if you need to remove the bottom plate or get something unclogged fast in the field. Very much like the Windsor but costs less and holds up longer. $350 - $500 depending on where you buy it) Has HEPA Filters and uses microfiber bags that keep the customers home and YOU cleaner. The bags are cheap, particularly if you buy in quantity. Hose detaches and re-attaches in 2 seconds for getting around edges and in corners. Only down side, imo: screaming yellow color, which tends to get dirty and show dirt & scratches sooner than I would like. There are a few NSS models out there that are black. Karcher private labels them for NSS. Mikey if you can just get over your dust cup obsession and try one of these it will change your life. I think that there is a treatment program in CA somewhere for people with an aversion to throw away bags. (I heard through the grapevine that Lisa Wagner has been there twice!):smile: LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom