Help me fix this problem...

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I am doing strictly water and fire construction now and ran across a problem that a contractor screwed up.

From what I understand this has some of the original 30 year old sealer on it and the water base coats on top. The goofball that did this splashed acid all over the cabinets and ruined them. Then they sealed it over dirt, mop swirls, leaves and no telling what.

What is the best process to strip it down and seal it with a matte finish?

Also, is there anyone in the Victoria/Houston area that can tackle it? If not I'll have to hire some rookies and coach them up.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Pics

Attachments

• IMG_0095[243].JPG
    IMG_0095[243].JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0096[245].JPG
    IMG_0096[245].JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0099[247].JPG
    IMG_0099[247].JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 175

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Is that stain on the bottom cabinet or did some strip the floor and splash the cabinets?

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Is that stain on the bottom cabinet or did some strip the floor and splash the cabinets?

Oh, it is definitely from someone splashing. Several custom cabinets in several rooms. The customer is pissed. I have to fix it for them.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Looks like they had a topical finish on the tile and someone tried to strip and refinish. The swirl marks is from them trying to strip and the stripper dried before they could get it sucked up.
Attack it as if you would be stripping VCT. Find out what finish they put down. Do not go cheap on the stripper you will regret it.

Reactions: Able 1

Able 1

Name
Keith
Looks like they put it down pretty thick in pic two!

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Looks like they put it down pretty thick in pic two!

Those chunks are gummed up mess and globs of the old stuff that they didn't clean up before putting down the sealer. It is a mixture of stripper and gunk from when they tried to get the original coats off. Being the thorough guys they are they left it and sealed over it. I found where they went over some grass and a few leaves with sealer. Real fine individuals.

Reactions: Able 1

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Jeremy that is a nightmare of a job, that would take a skilled master floor tech a week or so to "fix" which is why you have this mess in the first place because they didn't strip the floor 5 or six times to get all the finish off before reapplying new finish.

You need to be careful as if you strip too much also the tile will turn to mud. Looks like man made Mexican tiles to me.

Reactions: Jeremy N

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Jeremy that is a nightmare of a job, that would take a skilled master floor tech a week or so to "fix" which is why you have this mess in the first place because they didn't strip the floor 5 or six times to get all the finish off before reapplying new finish.

You need to be careful as if you strip too much also the tile will turn to mud. Looks like man made Mexican tiles to me.

I called a local satillo expert in SA. He is going to look at it Saturday for me. Says he charges $5 per foot to restore satillo tile. He can go for it...I'm not interested in it for myself, just trying to help State Farm solve a problem that their contractor screwed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom