Help!!!! STYROFOAM MELT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

Ernie G

Styrofoam block melted into carpet fibers-anyone had this happen-and how did you get it out.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Most common cause for foam blocks to "melt" is they come in contact with solvent. Maybe a spotter used to remove a spot under the furniture was not rinsed well.

Scrape off what ever you can with bone spatula, knife blade or other scraper. Work on any remaining with volatile dry solvent.

Much easier to avoid than to get it off the carpet after it has melted. Be sure to rinse non-volatile solvents with a volatile solvent. Rinse all solvents with hot water.

Scott Warrington

Farenheit251

John, that patchmaster pro is one of the biggest pieces of crap I ever bought. It is disappointing to see you are still selling it. I emailed the company that makes them about how disappointed I was with it(months ago). I thought maybe it was just that the original design was poorly made and that they would make it right but they didn't even respond back.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I had to re-clean several jobs where Chem-Dry melted the blocks into the carpet. I don't know how they accomplished It . Likely there were many more carpets left in that condition.

I scraped off what I could then remove the rest carefully with a solvent.

Good luck!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

John, someday i am going to get you a jar of peanut butter and a large spoon. :)

Scott Warrington

tim

As usual, Scott W is right on. Not really that difficult. I had one from a previous cleaner, solvent an a shark made short order of it!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Although I usually use a carpenters square, that patchmaster pro looks like a pretty good use of a top cutter- HOWEVER- Use of a tufting awl to part the yarns before cutting would be a primary concern. Other than that, it looks like it's much better than a cookie cutter for patches. And we won't even talk about butt seaming berbers.

John Buxton

I did that ONCE. A little liqui-gel on a spot under a furniture leg and I didnt rinse it well enough. It came out no problem.

Another lesson learned.

Ernie G

Hey guys, I apprieciate all the input,including the message from Adam, lots of good ideas. I have many options to try-i'll let you know what happens.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
BrianE said:
John, that patchmaster pro is one of the biggest pieces of crap I ever bought. It is disappointing to see you are still selling it. I emailed the company that makes them about how disappointed I was with it(months ago). I thought maybe it was just that the original design was poorly made and that they would make it right but they didn't even respond back.
Brian why haven't you called me? I can't fix something if I don't know about it. call me tomorrow and we'll get you taken care of

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I had to re-clean several jobs where Chem-Dry melted the blocks into the carpet
Sounds like bonnet cleaning with too much dlimone.

Never saw the problem but wonder what high heat may do.

Albert

John Olson

Name
John Olson
scottw said:

John, someday i am going to get you a jar of peanut butter and a large spoon. :)

Scott Warrington

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Comes out pretty easy with dry agitation and vacuum follwed by solvent and extraction. The white blocks are more prone to melting than the more dense blue blocks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom