Help!Trouble with vinyl recoating, how do I fix this?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
A few months back I did a vinyl wax (my first one) and with your advice it turned out pretty good. It's a small company ,8 carpeted offices , a bathroom and a kitchen area that are vinyl. I told them vinyl wasn't my specialty and they were OK with that.
Today I went in for the second time. My local supplier told me I didn't need to strip the wax off I just needed to wash and rinse the floors, scuff it with a brown broom style pad and apply two coats. I used Franklin Interstate 50 sealer/wax. Most of it looks OK but one area doesn't. About two or three sqft in front of the fridge there are these veins going through the wax. It's not a puddle where I over applied. Just these irregular shaped rings,about the size of the palm of a hand. I rescuffed the area and applied a thin coat of wax back over it. As soon as the wax went on, the ridges became visible again. Not quite as bad but I'm sure I'm going to hear about it from my customer when he sees it tomorrow.
I'm wondering if the floor might still have been a little damp in that area. Could that have been the cause?
How can I fix something like that. is Franklin Interstate 50 a good product or is there something more "idiot proof" available?
Would it have been better to strip the floor first? It had three coats on it.I added two more. Should I strip it next time? The kitchen is small, about 5 X 10 ft. I poured the wax onto the floor and the spread it with a 10" wide lambs fur pad for application. Is that OK? Can you guys give me some pointers? I'm really frustrated right now.
Or should I strip the whole thing and start over?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
if unsure STRIP it ALWAYS....always better to start fresh with your own work...

2nd...still damp make no difference on the FIRST coat...as finish has water in it...just takes longer to dry

3rd...if it was still damp from a prior coat...yes it will "peel" that damp area and make it look funny..

4th can you take a pic???

5th....if not..yes strip it and start fresh...small enough area you should be ok

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
That's probably what it was. I didn't wait long enough before I re-coated. I was in a hurry to get to another job and I rushed it. I guess I learned a lesson here. If the customer is not happy (I'll find out tomorrow) I'll redo the job on the next weekend. Is The Interstate 50 a good wax? The stripper that goes with it is called Offense also by Franklin. It's the only thing I have used so far.Is there anything better on the market?
One other question. The place is kind of dusty and I always get little particles and even some fibers small hairs that settle on the fresh wax as it dries. Is there anything i can do about that? I'd really like to one day get a mirror like finish without the little bumps and imperfections..
Oh yeah how many coats can I put on top of each other before I need to strip and start over?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
That's probably what it was. I didn't wait long enough before I re-coated. I was in a hurry to get to another job and I rushed it. I guess I learned a lesson here. If the customer is not happy (I'll find out tomorrow) I'll redo the job on the next weekend. Is The Interstate 50 a good wax? The stripper that goes with it is called Offense also by Franklin. It's the only thing I have used so far.Is there anything better on the market?
One other question. The place is kind of dusty and I always get little particles and even some fibers small hairs that settle on the fresh wax as it dries. Is there anything i can do about that? I'd really like to one day get a mirror like finish without the little bumps and imperfections..
Oh yeah how many coats can I put on top of each other before I need to strip and start over?

Those products are not great IMO, would rather use johnson or betco.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
the chems i use come out of Cali....been using them for....well damn between my dad and i 30+ years....so i am not a "know all" on chems....

johnson or betco is good..just spendy....uhhh is there a waxie janitorial supply up your way???

as far as the particles...NO...thats one of those things you just have to deal with....with that said you can do things to not kick it up....but on an area that has poor ventilation, and you dont want to wait hrs. Then get a small fan to start outside the door and work in....WAIT 10-15 BEFORE YOU PUT IT ON THOUGH....it will ripple the finish..

and the bumps and imperfections....yeah most of those are UNDER the tile....pissy prep jobs, or to much glue.....and then over time the VCT molds over them...

Reactions: gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Well, I got lucky. The customer was very happy with the job I did. Maybe I'm too critical. but I can breathe easy now I wouldn't have enjoyed stripping and redoing the area.
Next month I have another vinyl job which is bigger. 360 sqft (I know... it's probably nothing to you guys) so until then I'll be watching a lot of youtube floor finishing videos. I'm going to keep using the Frankin product I have left for this little job. But I'm looking into trying something different for the new job. Betco has this cool backpack tank for it's applicator. I don't know if it's something useful or just a gimmick. Is anybody here using that? I'll also rent a buffer for the next job, I don't know if it's overkill for 360sqft but I might as well learn how to use it in case something bigger comes along. Once I have a little more of a clue I might buy a buffer and possibly a walk behind wet vac.Doing hard surfaces is just a whole new thing for me and I need to figure out what the tools of the trade are.
Again as always thank you so much for your help!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom