Hi from Orange County, NY

I've been at this just a few weeks. I was going to start several years ago, but had an OK job. When the OK job disappeared, this made total sense. I hope cleaning carpets was the right career path... wish me luck!
Anyhow, my first problem. A customer had me do the living room, foyer, hall and the only bedroom with wall-to-wall. The other two rooms had area rugs. One was a nice wool Safavieh. I'm actually giving that to someone who knows what they are doing and charging me $60 (1.50 per sf) and I'm only making $20 on that. They have done 2 rugs for me before and everything has gone well.
The other rug was a cheap 5x7 Olefin berber remnant. When I quoted $25, they kind of laughed and said they only paid $30 for it.
If I trash it, what the heck, it was a learning experience. The rug was stiff as can be. A lot of dust came off the backing. Is this normal? I'm going to do it in my basement on some plastic sheeting. I don't think this dust was dirt. I think it was in the backing. While no big deal if it happens, is this rug going to disintegrate once it gets wet? If I run into this sort of cheap stuff wall-to-wall in say an office setting, am I going to have trouble?
Something inside me says give them $30 for the rug to experiment and learn. How does it hold up to my 12" Sanitaire floor machine with Adjust-A-Glide brush? How will it hold up against Betco TLC, which is a 13.0pH traffic lane prespray. While on the harsh side, does clean very well. California says it has to be diluted 1:50, but the rest of the planet 1:10, 1:20 (always works for me), or 1:40. I have less aggressive presprays by Betco and Spartan, I know they are janitorial products, but that's what's available locally and cheap.
I don't want to come across as having a destructive nature, because I don't, but I'm really as total newb and need to learn. Thanks.

Pete

Mikey P

Administrator
I recommend offering a pet package to your bullet list as soon as possible.

Welcome to the worlds greatest carpet cleaning forum!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
You didn't happen to own a bike building business, did you?? I hear the old man is getting out of the business.

S

sam miller

If its a Olefin rug You cant hurt it pre vacuum it citrus presprays work wonders on olefin the only problem is they tend to curl when wet and the best way to flat them out if your not a rug person is to lay them out on a 100 degree day on a drive way.

You might not ever get that 100 degree day so maybe someone here can tell you how to keep it flat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom